Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn/Winter FI Charts 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

A few interesting GEFS ensembles this morning:

The next few frames show this low drop south across Ireland and the UK.
    gens-5-1-312_inv4.png

gens-1-1-336_iby5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Can you explain those 2 charts Beasterly? What sort of conditions would we expect?

Can you explain those 2 charts Beasterly? What sort of conditions would we expect?

Well first of all they're not the operational run, they are indivisual members which evolve different possible scenarios, these are just two of 20.

The first chart depicts a mid-Atlantic block. Basically, the Atlantic come to a halt. In that chart we would see northerly winds, showers on the north coast, wintry over high ground. Upper air temperatures wouldn't be that low see as it's only mid November, along with modification of the sea it wouldn't be to dissimilar to this weekends weather, just drier and sunnier further south. The low dropping south would be bring more precip, and colder uppers. Would be a dream setup in January.

The second chart shows a scandi high joining up with a Greenland high. In that chart it is orientated so we don't really get its full influence, the nearby low gives us south-easterlies. Makes sure we stay wet and relatively mild. If the high was just orientated a little differently we would be looking at a full blown easterly, not far off 2010.

Obviously this FI, and worse still just a couple of GEFS members, very close to a non-existent chance of it verifying. Saying that, ECM, GFS and UKMO have been toying with the idea of a Scandinavian high setting up post 120/144 hours. This could give us the all illusive Easterly we all crave.

Thank you very much for taking the time to type that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

You have to go a long way into FI to see anything 'interesting'

12_384_mslp500.png?cb=610

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Boring Boring Boring feckin FI, nothing of interest, Boo bloody hooo!

Ti's changing with each run. There is pattern coming out. Yesterday there was a high build up over UK/Irl now it's gone. Too much going on for the models to keep up. Same as it always is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ECM snooze fest with low pressure never far from Iceland.
    anyone know where there is wet paint so I can watch it dry?
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/ecmpanel1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

ECM snooze fest with low pressure never far from Iceland.
    anyone know where there is wet paint so I can watch it dry?
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/ecmpanel1.gif

I think there is something interesting in that Elmer and I go back again to the matter of the ridging taking place to our west and Greenland, as well as over Europe. The positioning of the highs is fluctuating with each run bu the trend is for the jetstream to be shifted from its track over Ireland.

This would put Ireland in a much more favourable position to experience cold during the final week of the month.

ECH1-72_uvg2.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »
    I think there is something interesting in that Elmer and I go back again to the matter of the ridging taking place to our west and Greenland, as well as over Europe. The positioning of the highs is fluctuating with each run bu the trend is for the jetstream to be shifted from its track over Ireland.

This would put Ireland in a much more favourable position to experience cold during the final week of the month.

ECH1-72_uvg2.GIF

I mush prefer those hemisphere charts, you get a much better idea of things. Also easier to see what the PV is doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

+ 1 ! ... where is the link for them?... i want to compare the Geo 500 heights of now with 2010 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Not the view you want be here we were this days 2 years ago

Rrea00120101107.gif

Foundz them :)

November 7th 2012

A slight similarity i think with the location of the high pressures but the PV is more broken up into Russia this year and was more compact in 2010.
    227507.png

November 7th 2010
    227508.png

ANd here are those runs ... open them up in separate tabs to view them :)
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=1&type=0&archive=0

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=1&type=0&archive=1&mois=11&heure=0&jour=7&annee=2010

Thoughts anyone? :)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    + 1 ! ... where is the link for them?... i want to compare the Geo 500 heights of now with 2010 :)

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=code&mode=0&mode3h=0&runpara=0&carte=1

Try these

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

CIE Testing their new Snowplough Locomotive. Damned if it ain't half good at shifting snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Coolest Job ever

Iancar29 wrote: »

Thoughts anyone? :)

My thought on it would be that the AZ high is further north WEST in 2010 and higher at 1040, as opposed to 2012's 1030

None of the charts are entertaining any block to the westerly low systems. One rolls in after another. Still early days, winter has yet to start. In my opinion (which is not too well informed :cool:)We are unlikely to see Nov 2010 happen again this year.

tumblr_m9wf1iJsY31qaew6po2_250.gif

227660.png

ps.... take this run with a big piece of salt.... but if it keeps trending this way its a good sign :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

227695.png

I know it's FI but **** yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

I know it's FI but **** yeah!

And its not a CFS chart, although changes can still occur in the GFS ensemble charts

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Guys I really need to ask what is fantasy island or is it just pretend charts? If so what for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not sure where the name came from but basically its just taken to be any forecast outside the realistic time frame. Usually a week or more in the future where accuracy is low so every now and again you get some imaginative solutions showing up that are 95% unlikely to happen but look nice for threads like this!

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Guys I really need to ask what is fantasy island or is it just pretend charts? If so what for?

It is a term for the charts out beyond a certain period, generally 5 days I would say.

These charts will chop and change and can give some lovely eye candy. You can watch them for trends and then we just hope that the charts stay and come into the reliable timeframe.

Its all part of the fun !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd say more like 10 days out+ . This thread is designed to catch idiot charts that are unlikely to ever happen...but which may look fabulous with -27c forecast in Dublin on the 10th of December etc etc.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'd say more like 10 days out+ . This thread is designed to catch idiot charts that are unlikely to ever happen...but which may look fabulous with -27c forecast in Dublin on the 10th of December etc etc.

Though at times it has been 2 days :pac:

It'll do I suppose...

gfsnh-0-384_gjj7.png

227920.png

227978.png

227977.png

Shame it's so far out, it's the GEFS, and it only gets to -6 850's . . but we can still dream :P

• Advertisement

Forum has gone very quiet

GFS trying to develop a Scandi High..

12112518_1018.gif

Advertisement