Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn/Winter FI Charts 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Nabber wrote: »
    Forum has gone very quiet

GFS trying to develop a Scandi High..

12112518_1018.gif

Spongebob has scared everyone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

I cannot see anything at all in any models of a sustained cold pattern even from the CFS. There is no pattern of a cooling or colder event. Indeed there is very short lived chilly outbreaks appearing on some of the models. Are we talking ourselves into the colder winter outlook? I dont see anything of promise as the AO is positive (Last time I looked) but one small seed is the Greenland High might offer some potential much later in the season (Late Dec, Jan, Feb) anyone agree or disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

cfs-0-768_moc7.png

:pac:

MORE:

cfs-0-966_prn2.png

cfs-0-996_kmo9.png

Easterly anyone?

bom-0-240_cur3.png

I know we often comment that FI outputs are next to useless. But out of interest I went back to the archived runs of the GFS from this day two years ago. Each run that that day showed block and some sort of Easterly/Northeasterly for us in what we would call Extreme FI. Yes it was often a bit too progressive, but at 300+ hours, the GFS seemed to have a very good handle opn what the atmosphere was about to do.

GFS archived runs: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?jour=11&mois=11&annee=2010&heure=12&archive=1&mode=0&ech=204&carte=0

ECM: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?jour=13&mois=11&annee=2010&heure=12&archive=1&mode=1&ech=72&map=0

Doesn't bode well for us now though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

cfs-0-1002_fpy0.png

cfs-2-1002_zph1.png

And....

Look at the pretty colours !! :pac:

cfs-0-978_wxw3.png

Ha, where is Ireland gone !

cfsnh-0-966_xfe4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

t|nt|n wrote: »
    And....

Look at the pretty colours !! :pac:

cfs-0-978_wxw3.png

Ha, where is Ireland gone !

cfsnh-0-966_xfe4.png
    :eek: Look at the dates,the Mayan Prophecy coming through :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

am I right in thinking that last winter was so bad that there wasnt even eye candy in FI? At least so far we have something to look at in FI and the actual temperatures we've had so far makes it feel more like winter than it ever did last year plus we've already had a few mornings of solid frost.... think we only managed about 4 days of frost for the entire November-March period last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

Gonzo wrote: »
    am I right in thinking that last winter was so bad that there wasnt even eye candy in FI? At least so far we have something to look at in FI and the actual temperatures we've had so far makes it feel more like winter than it ever did last year plus we've already had a few mornings of solid frost.... think we only managed about 4 days of frost for the entire November-March period last year?

I think some parts of the north west had some snow during last year's winter along with the snow some other parts other parts of the country got in April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Few interesting posts from a few others over on net weather including MT, also the ECM 12Z run hinting at a scandi ridge in its later frames, If this developed could lead to an easterly down the line.

ECH1-240.GIF?11-0

This was posted by GP, Head forecaster for Netweather.

I suggest that with a strong collaboration of MJO wave, poleward +AAMr signal and succession of Wave 2 activity in the next 2 weeks, the stratospheric vortex may be on the bring of collapse 1st week December and ripe for a higher latitide block to take root in December. Whilst not totally against any Scandinavian ridge, I think the wavelengths here more favor a ridge to our W / NW.

Then this was posted by MT

I am continuing to call for cold and possibly severe cold in February with onset in late January. So out of interest, I took the daily CET values in a research file and calculated daily averages for the winters with the 14 coldest Februaries to see what sort of early signals were on display. On the average, the Novembers of these winters averaged 6.3 and the Decembers 4.3, so that there was no strong signal of cold before January. Some days were considerably above normal in this period, for example 24 Nov was 6.9, and 14 Dec was 5.9 on average.

The data set show a decline around New Years and the average January associated with these 14 coldest Februaries averaged 1.4 with sub-freezing averages setting in on 24 Jan. The average of the 14 cold February cases was -0.3 C. The coldest day in the series was 14 Feb at -1.7 C.

Now although my model-based prediction shows a mild January followed by a cold February, this is an unusual combination and given the strength of the cold signal, I should hedge that by saying that any early mild spells could be cancelled out by later cold spells on the way towards a cold February. We would be in almost uncharted waters to see a combination like (6,0) for the first two monthly CET values. The years that came closest to this sort of reversal since the Maunder provided a couple of good examples were 1902, 1956, 1969 and 1986. January could be described as near normal rather than mild in most of these cases, but in 1969 (where Jan was 5.5) there was an extreme reversal, from 9.1 C in the week of 21-27 Jan to -1.8 in the week of 13-19 Feb.

Anyone pondering these stats should of course keep in mind that all years mentioned refer to Jan and Feb, the year we are now in corresponds to the year before all the years cited.

The general conclusion is that if my research model is picking up an accurate "read" on the winter, we should expect some big ups and downs and not get too discouraged about any blocking mild patterns between now and mid to late January as these are almost implied by the cold February signal. We could break into the cold early as in 1894-95, or late as in the above examples. Last winter demonstrated that a strong signal has to be blended into the "modern climate" and that even when Europe is generally in an extreme winter pattern this can have difficulty extending all the way west to some parts of the UK and certainly Ireland which almost escaped the whole episode. I have the impression from looking at analogues that this winter's severe cold in Europe might be sourced a bit further north which will help the chances of getting it further west into Britain and Ireland.

Would like to see more of the same from the ECM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

228190.png

228191.png

gfs-0-252_poq4.png

gfs-2-252_ryd1.png

cfs-0-756_kcq5.png

cfs-2-756_gst2.png

Just had a look through the GFS Ensembles there, absolutely nothing interesting at all !

/depression

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh god everything looked so positive a few weeks back - it seems to have done a u-turn now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

gfs-2-252_ryd1.png

I have to say that that snow risk chart gizmo seems next to useless to me. Going on its output last year we would have had about 10 country wide snow events last winter. Seems to totally overdo snow risk in Ireland....

I have to say that that snow risk chart gizmo seems next to useless to me. Going on its output last year we would have had about 10 country wide snow events last winter. Seems to totally overdo snow risk in Ireland....

Ha it really is terrible. Its handy though to see when Ireland is shaded and then cross reference the pressure and temps from it to get a handle on what everything means !

Just had a look through the GFS Ensembles there, absolutely nothing interesting at all !

/depression

Look again, from 8 onward.

gens-10-1-276_drp3.png

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Look again, from 8 onward.

gens-10-1-276_drp3.png

I see it now, I hadn't had a single drop of coffee this morning when I looked !

Just for the laugh, CFS wants to bring us this for Christmas !

cfs-2-1038_chj1.png

Cant post charts at the moment, but if you like Easterlies, check out the GFS from 192 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Cant post charts at the moment, but if you like Easterlies, check out the GFS from 192 onwards.

Yep - very interesting thoughtaking it with a pinch of salt for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh god everything looked so positive a few weeks back - it seems to have done a u-turn now:(

Wha?

Looking at this week's weather is perfect for the introduction of continental air...

...last weeks charts were showing the Atlantic lows barrelling through us all the way to Moscow...

...now that the fronts are here they are stalling indicating that the high pressure cell to our east is a blocking high...

...blocking highs in Winter are what we need to get deep cold pools in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

tumblr_mblvixYEfp1rsj88k.gif

228337.png

Be surely gone in the morning but how in ever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Be surely gone in the morning but how in ever! :D

nice !!!!! :)

Ha, I'm lighting a candle for it to be on the 06Z ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Wicklow Weather

Its gone ;-{

• Advertisement