Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn/Winter FI Charts 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

GFS 6z in FI

228524.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

If you want eye candy take a look at the CFS from the end of November. Will post some charts later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'm a novice but it seems to show day time temps hovering around 3c for all of December! No exceptional cold but well below average. Also there's much colder nearby but also warm is v close to the west....battleground snow?

I would give this credence as I looked at CFS last December and it forecast the late Jan / early Feb euro cold perfectly - freezing everywhere south east of london but mild in Ireland.

Of course I could be reading this all wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I'm a novice but it seems to show day time temps hovering around 3c for all of December! No exceptional cold but well below average. Also there's much colder nearby but also warm is v close to the west....battleground snow?

I would give this credence as I looked at CFS last December and it forecast the late Jan / early Feb euro cold perfectly - freezing everywhere south east of london but mild in Ireland.

Of course I could be reading this all wrong....

The CFS Longrange model is handy for looking at trends over a few weeks etc, It could be show mild weather tomorrow so i would take it as a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

UKMO hinting at atlantic blocking towards the end of the run:

229068.gif

And did anyone see the end of the GEM: :eek:

229070.png

edit: And one last chart, the JMA going for an atlantic high possibly joining with a scandi/siberian high:

229071.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

GFS 18Z goes for a similar outcome to JMA. Would be rude not to post this, 10 days out so usual warnings about pinches and salt apply.

gfs-0-240_hqz3.png

It's also worth pointing out that as encouraging as this chart, it does see Ireland tap into a cold air source, with 850hpa temperatures not even gettin much below 0C. Still, a few tweaks and it could be epic! Also nice to see the date on the chart, a repeat 2 years on to the day? :D

Nice little FI on the GFS this morning

gfs-1-360_ztc0.png

gfs-0-360_ygb9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The beautiful land of Fantasy island :)

T384 :pac: :P :cool:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=144895

If yas want a laugh, check the CFS this morning ha

cfs-2-318_eir9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The BOM looks perty at day 10!

bom-0-240_voe1.png

bom-1-240_vpi5.png

Hopefully a couple of weeks down the line we will be taking charts like the one above seriously! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    The BOM looks perty at day 10

Hopefully a couple of weeks down the line we will be taking charts like the one above seriously! :)
    Now thats a nice cold pool to feed off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes we would need every bit of that Greenie block and to sit there for a good week or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

NOTE THIS IS STILL FI !

Kinda want to Book next weekend off for the first possible low level snow event for around here this season! :D

LOL at the lil -8 smack bang over me! :D ..
    229858.png

229859.png

:D

tumblr_m9zj7gfQqm1r6xgia.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I love FI !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

These are my FI cherry picks.

BOM
    5ZotV.png
    Ua8Is.png

GFS
    Crjc2.png

Hopefully some more on the 12Z's. Pity this is the FI thread though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

gfs-0-300.png?6

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Interesting feature on the 18Z GFS run at +156hrs. Is that a late developing tropical cyclone in the middle of the Atlantic west of the Azores? It appears on the +126hrs chart and strengthens as it moves northwards. At +252 hrs it is south of Ireland with quite a strong easterly flow over the country.

230523.png

230524.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I see a rapidly deepening polar low in this chart.:D

tumbleweed.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

do all fantasy island charts purposely exaggerate in favour of cold weather? or are there so many that people just choose the best ones?

anyone ive ever seen more then a week out seems to have an enormous low pressure over the centre of ireland and a high pressure up north, with about -12C.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

geetar wrote: »
    do all fantasy island charts purposely exaggerate in favour of cold weather? or are there so many that people just choose the best ones?

Both in fact. Even in summer. :D

The thread is here to stop the forecasting (ie realistic charts up to around a 5-7 day horizon) thread from degenerating into utter lunacy every time certain people discover snow pr0n at 14-20 days.

Anything after 7 days is subject to so many variables that it is fantastical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Both in fact. Even in summer. :D

The thread is here to stop the forecasting (ie realistic charts up to around a 5-7 day horizon) thread from degenerating into utter lunacy every time certain people discover snow pr0n at 14-20 days.

Anything after 7 days is subject to so many variables that it is fantastical.

After 96 hours at the moment is pretty much FI , good post from NW showing this with the spreads.

These charts may not be something too many are familiar with, but what they show is the sea level pressure mean from the ensembles as the usual contour lines and the colours show the spread, which is the difference between the highest and lowest ensemble run - ie a high spread means a large difference between highest and lowest so less certainty in terms of the outcome.

To put a baseline in, here's the chart for 24 hours and as you can see the spread is virtually all blue and therefore there's good confidence in the pressure pattern (as you'd expect)
    post-2-0-90353900-1354137816_thumb.png

By 96 hours, there's a bit more colour coming in there, with an increasing amount of spread surrounding developments of the low pressure system to the northwest of the UK with 5-8hpa 'uncertainty' within parts of that.
    post-2-0-44726300-1354137818_thumb.png

Roll it forward to 144 hours and the differences increase with the mid-atlantic, southern tip of Greenland and the east coast of the USA all areas of low confidence, and incidentally all important locations in terms of upstream development for the UK
    post-2-0-00799900-1354137820_thumb.png

168 hours and that increases
    post-2-0-59020800-1354137821_thumb.png

And by 240 hours, we're talking 10-20hpa of potential swing (on just this run alone) across much of the Atlantic, the UK and the eastern seaboard.
    post-2-0-17918200-1354137823_thumb.png

So, what to draw from this? 96 hours is the point to watch in terms of upstream & beyond that there's too much uncertainty to draw any real conclusions at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

The beast is starting up this morning,out in +276 land though:o

Hmmm though the Pub run is good for us Snowbies ( :D ) ... dont get too excited over it , looks VERY different than any of the 12z models...

But....

FI is indeed noice.... Straight northerly at 240hrs... i just cant see that jet stream pattern coming to fruition...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Bit of FI candy , GFS had a couple too many for the pub run

230924.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

Ohhh all the lovely colours. Where do I get me pretty charts like that. :)

Forget FI... look what NOrthern England are gettin right now!!!!

75968_10151342544146718_480223779_n.jpg

NOT FAIR!!! :'(:'(:'(

Bar a couple of hours through sunday /monday that GFS 18Z is a very cold run especially into the Far reaches of FI ,

I dont expect its to materialize but nice to look at anyway

..... Screw england ...

Heaven exists... in CALIFORNIA!

531007_538875882808780_470154987_n.png

• Advertisement

Ha ha, savage

gfs-0-384_qsm7.png

gfsnh-0-384_ezk6.png

Advertisement