Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

@MWAP - how did you know?

The guilt puncture is a common phenomenon, my friend. Two guilt punctures may require the purchase of the Tyre of Restitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Beasty wrote: »
    I've got this jersey:

bth_beasty.jpg

Username and Blood Group on the front and back, and the wife's phone number on the sleeve...:)

I love how your blood group is in white on a blood-red background.

"Hold on there lad, just have to wash your jersey so we can start the transfusion..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Went for a spin around the Phoenix Park this afternoon. Headwind worked better than my brakes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Went for a 40 km cycle yesterday. Only encountered ice once. Today, no ice. Cycled to work as usual. The wind was a bit much, but not unmanageable. I'm guessing we'll see ice in the coming days. I've learned the hard way that ice means walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just back from a 40k. Not too cold as I wrapped up nicely but bit of a headwind coming back, nothing to demanding. Hearing about ice has got me worried, going to have to try cycle in day light now though I prefer the evenings mainly because I feel less of a fat ****e burning the calories after a day of eating :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Sold the car last week partly to get me up off my arse and cycle to and from work so hopefully im off the wimp list permanently.

After staying pretty dry for ~ 25k this morning I got fookin tsunamied by some car 500m from work....karma me hopes! Commute home was grand with the wind on my back for the last 12k. Cold tomorrow i hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

wallop, off on sheet ice this morning (sore hip and ankle) annoyingly there was a 100metre stretch of sheet ice after i had ridden out of my drive turned right then left about half a mile from my house (no ice on the car or on my drive or anywhere else apart from that stretch)

Lawr wrote: »
    Went for a 40 km cycle yesterday. Only encountered ice once. Today, no ice. Cycled to work as usual. The wind was a bit much, but not unmanageable. I'm guessing we'll see ice in the coming days. I've learned the hard way that ice means walk.

Nah. Ice means
    [URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/265442/230352.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

anyone know where i can get some SKS asr front mudguard clips from ?

they look like this

ASR-II-montiert.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Nah. Ice means
    [Winter Tyres]
    Good idea, but two questions come to my mind:
    - are these available for a typical road bike with Cruds mudguards, i.e 23mm with tight clearance?
    - If my return home commute is on a naked tarmac, will they last?

• Advertisement

anyone know where i can get some SKS asr front mudguard clips from ?

they look like this
    What bike is it with the eyelets like these?

Seweryn wrote: »
    What bike is it with the eyelets like these?

planet x kaffenback
    164455.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

ICE Tyres will be ruined on tarmac they are for solid ice and snow, not a mix.

So they are useless in this country :P.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Good idea, but two questions come to my mind:
    - are these available for a typical road bike with Cruds mudguards, i.e 23mm with tight clearance?
    - If my return home commute is on a naked tarmac, will they last?

No.

Yes.

Minimum width is 35mm so they won't fit my bike and I have to nick my wife's hybrid.

They cope beautifully with bare tarmac. The studs are carbide and won't wear down and they retract into the tyre if they can't dig into ice/snow.

You run them at about 70psi on dry roads and they run primarily on the rubber in the centre of the tyre (though they do sound like riding over bubblewrap). In snow/ice you reduce the pressure to about 30/40 psi and the studs come into play.

That said, I got mine last autumn guaranteeing us a frost free winter last year...
    I guess these are not ICE tyres so. Review here.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    No.

Yes.

Minimum width is 35mm so they won't fit my bike and I have to nick my wife's hybrid.

They cope beautifully with bare tarmac. The studs are carbide and won't wear down and they retract into the tyre if they can't dig into ice/snow.

You run them at about 70psi on dry roads and they run primarily on the rubber in the centre of the tyre (though they do sound like riding over bubblewrap). In snow/ice you reduce the pressure to about 30/40 psi and the studs come into play.

That said, I got mine last autumn guaranteeing us a frost free winter last year...

I guess these are not ICE tyres so. Review here.

So how much riding have you done on these tyres given you bought them last year?

About one day on dry tarmac (followed by torrential rain hence wet tarmac). The ran nicely as mentioned. Haven't used them in anger yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So how much riding have you done on these tyres given you bought them last year?

I've done a few weeks of 150km a week on 700c Marathon Winters.

They're not nice to ride on once the novelty has worn off, but they do the job of keeping you upright.

Cornering is particularly odd.

I've just ordered a pair in 26" for my MTB, thus ensuring that we don't have any snow this winter.

Lumen wrote: »
    I've just ordered a pair in 26" for my MTB, thus ensuring that we don't have any snow this winter.

Ah feck! I was counting on a bit of snow this year so I could get out and play with mine...

I've done a few weeks of 150km a week on 700c Marathon Winters.

They're not nice to ride on once the novelty has worn off, but they do the job of keeping you upright.

Cornering is particularly odd.

Cool, might be worth a look so, I had a pair of Nokian extremes and they did not like the tarmac, obviously they were more extreme than these, they wore worse than the equiv pair of MTB tyres and you'd end up losing a lot of spikes.

Did you get to use them in the snow and ice 2 years ago? Not sure if I'd risk it even with those, there's no room for error, even at low speed, tarmac and wrists don't mix well.

Were you running them at pressure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Lunchtime forecast just mentioned snow for Thursday. Might not be a bad idea to throw them onto the MTB.

Anyone been up Wicklow recently? How are the roads, icy? Any snow on the hills?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

They're not nice to ride on once the novelty has worn off
    The novelty wears off? Didn't for me that winter two years ago, it was one big winter sports holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rp wrote: »
    The novelty wears off? Didn't for me that winter two years ago, it was one big winter sports holiday.

Sure, actual snow is fun.

I used them for training/commuting last winter when there was just a bit of ice about. They made a slow bike slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Sure, actual snow is fun.

I used them for training/commuting last winter when there was just a bit of ice about. They made a slow bike slower.

It's not about the bike. Even lance knows that!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Jaysus. It's -2 out there. I'm in two minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Jaysus. It's -2 out there. I'm in two minds.

Any ice?

Any ice?

sheet ice everywhere round me this morning didnt bother (and my mudguards broken) probably not much use as i'm in donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Sign me up. I got 500m to find the main road covered in ice. Turned back, it's not worth it...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Fine coming in Maynooth/N4/City Centre. Durano Pluses felt good on the surfaces. Just be sure to stay out of the cycle lanes (anyway) and follow the well-worn tracks in the bus lanes. Decent time as well. Bring on the good stuff, those ice spikes are ready to roll!

Advertisement