Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I've been commuting on 23mm GP4seasons this past month or two, only got them as I needed tyres for the bike I was building and got a deal on these I couldn't turn down.

The rolling resistance is noticeably higher than that of the 23mm GP4000s on my good bike, but so is the wet grip!

The pompino has clearance for tyres of up to 35mm, so if the cold weather hasn't lifted by the weekend I may order myself a set of these marathon winters!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Am thinking of replacing my commuter soon, it's 5 years old at this stage :rolleyes: and am very tempted to get something like this which can take 35mm tyres for winter, yet is 700mm for summer.
    Alternative would be to get a kaffenbak frame and fork and build it up with parts from my commuter, but dunno if I'd save much if at all; would need to get new brakes (and shifters?) and disc-brake wheels. Ultimately I'd like to turn it into an alfine hub or similar....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

in my opinion all cyclists are wimps..

they do a real sport and come back to me

with your **** poor physiques dont make me laugh

not being disrepectable but that is what i think of cyclists

Look at you with yaaaa puuuuny arms and your chicken legs

tumblr_mbdwv0PSoe1r8uj5bo1_500.jpg

Look at you with yaaaa puuuuny arms and your chicken legs

tumblr_mbdwv0PSoe1r8uj5bo1_500.jpg

I have to say, that fairly closely resembles my current appearance, except I have bigger feet and I'd never be seen wearing nike runners...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

doozerie wrote: »
    I missed my Marathon Winter tyres this morning, the 33mm slicks on my MTB were no match for my local roads. My usual test of the state of the roads is to walk the bike onto it and gently pull the front brake - the speed at which the front wheel shoots to the side gives my face an idea of the rate at which it'll be heading for the ground at one of the three 90-degree turns that I encounter in the first kilometre of my commute. Two of those turns are on a hill, the speed bumps on the hill add another interesting dimension. This morning my face pleaded with me to walk that first kilometer, so I did.

I'd hoped to postpone putting on the spiked tyres until December at least, but this morning might change that. I don't mind riding on them, they just signify crap weather for cycling so the longer I avoid them the happier I am. I've used them for at least 2 or 3 months on the bike for each of the last two winters. They're great tyres, but I agree with the views already expressed that they are perfect for packed ice (ironically, pedestrians sliding on the footpaths have yelled warnings to me as I've safely cycled up the ice covered hill into my estate), but they are of limited use on thin layers of ice, but still preferable to slicks.

Incidentally, you can buy replacement carbide spikes too. I bought Nokian ones which fit the Schwalbe tires perfectly well. I've had to replace several that have disappeared from my tyres, mostly due to braking too hard on tarmac I suspect.

How easy are they to replace on that tyre? Do you have to take the tyre off to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hmmzis wrote: »
    but up the Cruagh climb the ice was gone after Edmondstown rd. The upper bit of Stockings lane/Military rd was actually dry and no sign of frost or ice anywhere just lots of fog. It also felt a lot warmer up there than in town.
    That's due to the bit of wind up there. Conditions for frost and fog are pretty much identical except you need a light breeze to mix the chilled air to form fog. That same mixing prevents the ground from cooling quite so much so you don't get the frost.
    doozerie wrote:
    Incidentally, you can buy replacement carbide spikes too. I bought Nokian ones which fit the Schwalbe tires perfectly well. I've had to replace several that have disappeared from my tyres, mostly due to braking too hard on tarmac I suspect.
    How easy are they to replace on that tyre? Do you have to take the tyre off to do it?

Easy. Pointy nose pliers and push them into the tyre. Leave it on and inflated to 70psi.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Btw. If you're heading up there in a foggy morning watch out for the sheep. The white wool makes very good camo gear in foggy conditions.

This is an outrage. Clearly the RSA need to run a campaign highlighting the need for sheep to wear vi-hiz and lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Dónal wrote: »
    This is an outrage. Clearly the RSA need to run a campaign highlighting the need for sheep to wear vi-hiz and lights.

ANNNNNNND helmets, don't forget helmets, without helmets they don't stand a chance if they fall off their bikes... although that said, I don't remember Mint Sauce ever wearing one... Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Dónal wrote: »

Why not - the sheep on the Curragh wear very fetching orange hi-viz gear.

It's helmets they need now in case they fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kenmc wrote: »
    Am thinking of replacing my commuter soon, it's 5 years old at this stage :rolleyes: and am very tempted to get something like this which can take 35mm tyres for winter, yet is 700mm for summer.
    Alternative would be to get a kaffenbak frame and fork and build it up with parts from my commuter, but dunno if I'd save much if at all; would need to get new brakes (and shifters?) and disc-brake wheels. Ultimately I'd like to turn it into an alfine hub or similar....

You should just buy my Pompetamine Versa off me.

I've moved on to more ridiculous things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

colm_gti wrote: »
    I have to say, that fairly closely resembles my current appearance, except I have bigger feet and I'd never be seen wearing nike runners...

you know what they say about big feet :)

stevieob wrote: »
    you know what they say about big feet :)

Aye, that it's directly proportional to your power output!

Been wanting to get off the wimp list for a while now but been to lazy with late nights watching nothing on TV and then not being able to get out of the scratcher early enough! Anyway, I needed a light attachment for my commuter so couldn't have cycled in even if I wanted to.

Bad news, the guys in Chain Reaction are very quick off the mark and light attachment arrived yesterday so it was early to bed last night and a quick look out the window this morning confirmed the bike was a runner today.

It was only when I got round the corner that ice was quite prominent and as I had the 3 year on on the back I had to go nice and slow. Came to a bend and we hit the deck! Took most of the impact on my left shoulder, thankfully I was going quite slow and I don't think the little one hit the ground at all . . she seemed quite stable in the seat but after a delayed reaction, the crying started and she wanted to walk (wasn't to far) to school.

After I dropped her off I realised the front de-railer is a bit knackered. Wasn't able to get it on the big ring, but after my spill, I didn't plan to go to fast anyway! Lunch time beckons with a bit of DIY.

Apart from that, have to say, it was a cracking morning for a cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It was only when I got round the corner that ice was quite prominent and as I had the 3 year on on the back I had to go nice and slow. Came to a bend and we hit the deck! Took most of the impact on my left shoulder, thankfully I was going quite slow and I don't think the little one hit the ground at all . . she seemed quite stable in the seat but after a delayed reaction, the crying started and she wanted to walk (wasn't to far) to school.

Excellent. That's one anecdote data point for the "what happens when you crash a bike with a child on it" study.

...... she seemed quite stable in the seat but after a delayed reaction, the crying started and she wanted to walk (wasn't to far) to school.....

Glad everyone involved was ok, pity about the bike - is that why you cried:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

My 8 year old daughter cycled up Molls Gap in the driving rain this Sunday.
    I was not dumb enough to cycle with her but instead jogged up behind her.

In future when I think of not heading out on the bike in crap weather I'm going to say if a small girl can do it, then so can I :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

ROK ON wrote: »
    My 8 year old daughter cycled up Molls Gap in the driving rain this Sunday.
    I was not dumb enough to cycle with her but instead jogged up behind her.

In future when I think of not heading out on the bike in crap weather I'm going to say if a small girl can do it, then so can I :-)

H'on little girl! :)

150k today! It was fecking windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

No bike for me today, managed to pull my groin changing my trousers last night.

Yes, you read that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Cycled in today, too wet to cycle home though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

joker77 wrote: »
    No bike for me today, managed to pull my groin changing my trousers last night.

You need more friendly trousers, those ones sound a bit rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Things here in the border region not too great either, this morning looked like the rain froze late enough into the night, no frost on the hedgerows but the roads were lethal.

Sign me up to this wimp list you speak of!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I put my ice tyres on my commute MTB at the weekend. No obvious sign of ice on my commute since, and as ever the first few days of having changed over from slicks it feels like I'm cycling through treacle by comparison, but I consoled myself with the fact that nothing can now stand in my way. Obstacles, cars, people, etc., that get in my way will just get churned up and spat out by my spikes. My tyres pose the question "Do you want some? DO YOU? EH?".

However, on my way home yesterday I encountered a woman cycling a bike straight towards me along the cycle track. She was on the wrong side of the road, it was dark and she had no front light, and she was heading into a busy junction with a corner that provides very little visibility of/by cars turning left onto the road we were on. No judge would have convicted me if I just ploughed on through her, but at the last minute I veered around her (she was well and truly holding her line, her face a mask of suicidal determination). I wimped out. I am shamed.

@doozerie - I hope you at least subjected her to the 'tut-of-contempt' as you passed by!

Wimped out today - the roads looked glassy rather than sparkly. So I'll be contacting @lennymac about joining the northeast section of the wimp list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

defininitly a wimp today barely kept the car on the road in places

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cycled in to day. Only a few patches of ice along the N11/Dun Laogaire that I could see.

Did come across a bad accident (car upside down) at the bottom of Church Road. Dont know the cause but took it easy after that

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

doozerie wrote: »
    I put my ice tyres on my commute MTB at the weekend ...
    Two years back, the ice spikes got me through the worst of the snow and ice, right up until it thawed, and I thought nothing could stop me, until I lost it on what looked like clear road - total yard sale. Pride before a fall, etc., be warned!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Wimped out completely this week, haven't cycled into work mon/tues or wed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

First day I had to hang up my cycling gloves.
    I'm in Raheny and my estate was like glass. I cycled out the drive way and freewheeled to a terrified halt half way down the road. The slicks didn't stand a chance. Quick change of clothes and I was in a taxi before I knew it.

Sign me up for Wimp Society too :o

Re-Joined the wimp list today. Had to bring the little princess to school again and I think after yesterday, I would have been asking for trouble!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Haven't cycled to work since the week before last. Too icy at 5.45am for my liking. Did manage 180km at the weekend though

Advertisement