Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

Been driving into work the last week and a half. My wimp list reason: Resting my left knee, developed a bit of soreness.

Looking forward to chucking the ice tyres on for next week though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Think I'm finally about to give in to the wimp list....sitting at home debating whether to venture into the rain for the 30km cycle to college, and spend the day worrying if it'll have turned to ice before the journey back home, or to just do a turbo session and drive in....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Now the ice has melted, time to start moaning about the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Rain for the day, Colm. HTFU.

I got the Dart this morning, for eh ... business reasons.

Plastik wrote: »
    Rain for the day, Colm. HTFU.

I got the Dart this morning, for eh ... business reasons.

Christmas dinner late afternoon means I won't be coming home til 8 or 9....ice could rear it's ugly head again by then :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Don't want any injuries before Sunday Colm. We need you to bring home the Hamper.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Don't want any injuries before Sunday Colm. We need you to bring home the Hamper.
    I'm not going to make out out for that race :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

And I promised the kids we would have Turkey this Xmas. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Aww, daragh_ is Bob Cratchett to colm_gti's Scrooge.

3061161111_6e1c1e0f7c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

549708_10151276121743744_1744187389_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Best decision ever to drive in today, wind was atrocious!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

colm_gti wrote: »
    Best decision ever to drive in today, wind was atrocious!
    I only had an issue with the wind cycling on Mount Street/Merrion Square North this morning. Got pushed around a bit and I was somewhat worried by a large van which was behind me (thankfully, stayed behind me)

ciotog wrote: »
    I only had an issue with the wind cycling on Mount Street/Merrion Square North this morning. Got pushed around a bit and I was somewhat worried by a large van which was behind me (thankfully, stayed behind me)

The wind is a lot worse on an open road like the n2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

colm_gti wrote: »
    The wind is a lot worse on an open road like the n2 ;)
    Oh crikey yes - I wasn't admonishing you for not cycling, more expressing relief that I got off lightly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

The Summer is back. At least in the South.

Sweet Jeezz...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I guess I'm on the wimp list today, and glad of it! That wind was ferocious, just on the walk from the train station to the office.

I have an excuse though - work Christmas party is tonight, so don't want the temptation to try cycle home after a few hours in various hostelries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    I guess I'm on the wimp list today, and glad of it! That wind was ferocious, just on the walk from the train station to the office.

I have an excuse though - work Christmas party is tonight, so don't want the temptation to try cycle home after a few hours in various hostelries.

You are going on a "hostel" crawl? That's a new one!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Went for a run this morning. Only way i was cycling to work this morning is if I had a sail and life vest

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

cycled in with the wind on my back this morning. it's a long time since I have gotten that wet on the bike. Think it might be time to replace the brake pads though, couldn't stop going down anything that looked like an incline (Bray main street was interesting!)

godtabh wrote: »
    Went for a run this morning. Only way i was cycling to work this morning is if I had a sail and life vest
    I cycled in. It wasn't terribly bad (typical summer time commute, maybe a little cooler), but the return trip is not looking much / any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Cycled this morning - first time on the commute bike in about 2 weeks, been on the MTB with winter tyres. 2 major things of note:
    1) silence is golden. No popcorn sound from the studded tyres - eery!
    2) Disk brakes are FAR more effective than rim brakes. OMG the difference is immense. Incomparable.

Wasn't really so bad, mostly just incredibly dark. Steady rain the whole way and some hefty puddles but grand, not too windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

Cycled in this morning. Still holding off swapping out the slicks with knobby's or studs yet.
    One of these days im going to regret that, but it wasn't today. Little wet, but nothing too bad.

Car today, but I went out and did 55km last night before bedtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I cycled in today, 2 mins out of the house and I'd knocked someone's car wing mirror off - ffs, completely my fault (well, there wasn't much room to get past, but still, I'd usually judge it better).
    Stopped my bike, she wound down her window, I said I was sorry (I was), it was my fault etc, she said 'As long as you're ok', I thought that was very nice, picked up the back of her plastic yoke from the ground, said I was sorry again, that I had some money in my purse to cover the cost of the damage (had a €50 note and probably would've given her that), she said 'No, not at all', I thought this was too nice so wondered if the wing mirror was falling off to start with, but offered money again, it's pouring rain, galeforce wind blowing, she said 'No, really, it doesn't matter', I handed her in her plastic yoke, I said sorry again, felt like I should have forcibly given her money, and cycled on down Crumlin rd to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Cycled in this morning. Cross wind was wicked on the way past the airport.

Biggest problem was the taxi's that just kept stopping in front of me all the way in.

Hears hoping the clothes dry out before I have to put them back on.

del_boy13 wrote: »
    Cycled in this morning. Cross wind was wicked on the way past the airport.

Biggest problem was the taxi's that just kept stopping in front of me all the way in.

Hears hoping the clothes dry out before I have to put them back on.

I find if you hang them up and use a fan they dry very quickly compared to just draping them on a rad or heater.

Done, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

:-) on the bike, wind, and rain in my face going to work. but hey it is friday

del_boy13 wrote: »
    Done, thanks for the tip.
    If you need to dry your shoes during the day, the best thing is to get a newspaper and put it inside. Your shoes will be dry and useable for the return trip.

Tested by The Local Wimp many times. It works ;).

Nubuck_Fig2.gif

• Advertisement

:)Knew about the newspaper tip for the shoes they are nice and dry already. The other gear is almost dry except for the socks but I packed a spare pair this morning so not to worried about that one. :)

Advertisement