Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Never thought I'd see that task put into a How-to instructions haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Ahh so thats why there is paper inside new shoes when you take them out of the box.

I never knew that one ....! Cheers

Got drenched this morning - Came in - got shower and gear into tumble dryer that cleaners use for floor mops...They let me use it when needed ! Put shoes into compressor enclosure ... All gear ready for this eve !

You know I am a spoilt brat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I hear you brother.
    My office is next to the boilerhouse. Wet in the mornig, not a bother, toasty clothes by the time it comes to go home. Makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

I hear you brother.
    My office is next to the boilerhouse. Wet in the mornig, not a bother, toasty clothes by the time it comes to go home. Makes all the difference.
    You could rent access to that out :) I'm still waiting on my base layer top to dry from this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

ciotog wrote: »
    You could rent access to that out :) I'm still waiting on my base layer top to dry from this morning.

Are you kidding me Ciotog, I'd move my hammock for no one.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Didn't wimp out again this morning. Made it in no problem feet a bit wet.

On the way home got to fly over the bonnet of a car as he pulled out across me, I was in the blind spot apparently!!?? Always thought that was what the look before maneuver was for.

Landed on left elbow (not broken) left side nicely bruised.

Bike ended up with a front wheel mangled and will need to be replaced. Will pop down to LBS tomorrow to get the frame checked.

Is this a good excuse to wimp out till the New Year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Hope you got a full check out Del Boy and make a full recovery ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have driven into work a for past few mornings.
    There is something about the damp air in a dark morning and evening where it is incredibly difficult to make out lights on a bike until one is very close.

Driving thru the Phoenix Park the past few mornings have brought home to me just how close to invisible I am on a bike.
    I have passed many cyclists with two or more rear lights and it is difficult to make them out until you are very close.
    Unnerving to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

ROK ON wrote: »

Driving thru the Phoenix Park the past few mornings have brought home to me just how close to invisible I am on a bike.
    I have passed many cyclists with two or more rear lights and it is difficult to make them out until you are very close.

I cycle to the Park daily and some evenings would be late enough and the cycle lane is pitch dark. From driving in the evenings it is also difficult to make people out.

Thankfully only 1 main crossing that needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

del_boy13 wrote: »
    On the way home got to fly over the bonnet of a car as he pulled out across me
    Ouch! Get well soon. You might be a lot sorer tomorrow.
    After months of secret negotiations I've managed to acquire the key to a boilerhouse near my office. Great for drying out the bike, overshoes, jacket and gloves.

Just hope the boiler doesn't break down while I'm at work. The head fitter is a cranky hoor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ROK ON wrote: »
    ...Driving thru the Phoenix Park the past few mornings have brought home to me just how close to invisible I am on a bike.

+1 the Park is a lot darker. Looking at other cyclists, made me upgrade my own lights, and also because I couldn't see the path that well with my original lights.

Amazing how many are dressed in dark clothes with a couple of dim lights. I've actually stopped (when cycling) to point out to a few people they are almost invisible. Most take no notice.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I find if you hang them up and use a fan they dry very quickly compared to just draping them on a rad or heater.

Someone pointed that out to me at work. Putting shoes on the air-conditioning vents dried them out much quicker than a radiator.

...On the way home got to fly over the bonnet of a car as he pulled out across me, I was in the blind spot apparently!!?? Always thought that was what the look before maneuver was for....

They could be looking right at you and not see you. There's a danger on the bike to assume because you can see them, they can see you. I've noticed if a cyclist is in front of car with strong headlights, the cyclist can be invisible to oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

BostonB wrote: »
    Someone pointed that out to me at work. Putting shoes on the air-conditioning vents dried them out much quicker than a radiator.

Plus you get to 'share' with your colleagues...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Plus you get to 'share' with your colleagues...

Whatever it takes to get your own office...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

miserable out there.

Wasnt commuting today so did a 30km circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Got a puncture on the way home on Tuesday and walked the km home. Due to drinking commitments I doubt I'll be back on it until after Christmas.
    Enjoying the rest, the way winter training was going I was probably going to peak mid January :rolleyes: and be burnt out by February.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

godtabh wrote: »
    miserable out there.
    Not bad in South East. Dark and wet as usual, some fog, but mild and only light wind. No rain. I had a very nice spin this morning. Legs felt a bit stiff (good days / bad days, the usual), but otherwise a great ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

First time I've gotten into work, and the bike rack's been completely empty.

Also, there was a small scattering of cornflakes inside the carpark, on the ramp. Was someone still eating breakfast behind the wheel when they reached the office? And then somehow, on a straight section of roadway, manage to spill them out of their window? What happened here...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Seweryn wrote: »
    Not bad in South East. Dark and wet as usual, some fog, but mild and only light wind. No rain. I had a very nice spin this morning. Legs felt a bit stiff (good days / bad days, the usual), but otherwise a great ride.

The only plus side to this morning was it wasnt cold. I dont mind the rain. I dont mind the cold. Combine them both then its a bad day to cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

Slightly raining this morning in Dublin 15, not a problem at all, only problem was the taxi driver that was more interesting in chatting to his passenger, so he failed to see the red light, and had to block his wheels, happened @ 8:35 at the traffic light at blanchardstown road north and blackcourt road
    So if you “taxi driver”, reads this, remember RED means STOP your car, don’t try to kill other road user.

godtabh wrote: »
    The only plus side to this morning was it wasnt cold. I dont mind the rain. I dont mind the cold. Combine them both then its a bad day to cycle.
    Very true. Fortunately, we rarely have both together.

On the other hand, I am not a big fan of the dampness we currently have. No matter it is raining or not, the roads are wet, dirty and mucky. It all sticks to the bike, which needs to be maintained every day now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Seweryn wrote: »
    ... the roads are wet, dirty and mucky. It all sticks to the bike, which needs to be maintained every day now.
    Never mind the bike, time I get to work, my lower legs are completely black these days - what is it? Car exhaust mixed with water? Bleughh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

So, after reading other posters on this forum raving about the Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres, I got myself a set and stuck them on my old mountain bike. Ran them in early this week so I would be all ready for the onset of the inevitable winter apocolypse. Inwardly I thought, "Ha! I'll never have to post in that Wimp List thread"!

"Nothing will stop me commuting by bike now" I smugly announced in work yesterday morning. I have had an unbroken record since I started commuting by bike in July, much to the amazement of my colleagues who had no faith in my stamina.

I spoke too soon. Missed the last step going down the stairs in work a few hours later and tore the ligaments in my right foot. On crutches now and have been told to stay off the bike for at least 3 weeks. :(

Within minutes of this happening my one of my fellow cycling colleagues was quick to remind me of my 'unstoppable' boast that morning.

So now, here I am forced to sign up to the wimp list. Christmas will see me with one foot permanently elevated, incarcerated in the house. To make it worse, everything Santa is bringing is bike related so I won't even get to try any of my new kit for ages.

Grrrrrrrrrr.................:mad:

I am really sorry for you. Get well soon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

So, after reading other posters on this forum raving about the Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres, I got myself a set and stuck them on my old mountain bike. Ran them in early this week so I would be all ready for the onset of the inevitable winter apocolypse. Inwardly I thought, "Ha! I'll never have to post in that Wimp List thread"!

"Nothing will stop me commuting by bike now" I smugly announced in work yesterday morning. I have had an unbroken record since I started commuting by bike in July, much to the amazement of my colleagues who had no faith in my stamina.

I spoke too soon. Missed the last step going down the stairs in work a few hours later and tore the ligaments in my right foot. On crutches now and have been told to stay off the bike for at least 3 weeks. :(

Within minutes of this happening my one of my fellow cycling colleagues was quick to remind me of my 'unstoppable' boast that morning.

So now, here I am forced to sign up to the wimp list. Christmas will see me with one foot permanently elevated, incarcerated in the house. To make it worse, everything Santa is bringing is bike related so I won't even get to try any of my new kit for ages..

Apologies. Didn't read that. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Still doing my carpenters town to city west run every day, nearly got taken out by some dullard pulling out in front of me this morning - 2 lights @ 200 lux obviously not enough. Has been pretty in eventful otherwise, noticed since I put a 0.5 watt rear led on that cars give me a wide berth, so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I had the challenge of dropping the car off into a isolated town at 6:55am in the pitch black darkness (all for a service) - extracting bike and gear and navigating through a country road (totally unknown to me) with a searing front light that only managed the illuminate the fog to a blinding degree for 3km, to be greeted by a main road. 10km more than my usual distance and enjoyed it thoroughly (after a 4 day absence). Now I have to try and find the bloody house again on the way home. Drizzly weather meant I have to loose the glasses.

Wifey rings to see if I arrived safe - according to her, I know need to find the 'mad fooking b******d' list

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Just a follow up from my crash yesterday.

Bike is a write off as La Pierre don't supply single shock front forks anymore and nothing else likely to fit without lots of trial and error. Broke the bad news on needing a replacement to the driver who pulled out and he accepted responsibility will be working out his options over the next couple of days. When I give him the details on the replacement cost.

I saw a couple of comments from people about lights etc. and I would agree that you have to be seen (thats why I have a 300 lumen light on the front blinking away) but if they don't look they will never see you.

Off the bike till I get a replacement so wimping out from cycling in till the New Year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Just a follow up from my crash yesterday.

Bike is a write off as La Pierre don't supply single shock front forks anymore and nothing else likely to fit without lots of trial and error. Broke the bad news on needing a replacement to the driver who pulled out and he accepted responsibility will be working out his options over the next couple of days. When I give him the details on the replacement cost.

I saw a couple of comments from people about lights etc. and I would agree that you have to be seen (thats why I have a 300 lumen light on the front blinking away) but if they don't look they will never see you.

Off the bike till I get a replacement so wimping out from cycling in till the New Year.
    Hope you're recovering well anyway. Good to hear that the driver is being straightforward about the bike.

Advertisement