Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Sorry for going OT, but what the hell are your guys talking about 'dry needling in the arse"? Is this some form of new super doping program

It's a bit like acupuncture, but right into the muscles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_needling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

Altura waterproof pants weren't. Anyone suggest a replacement?

wear shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm about 3km from the snowline in Dublin 16. Went up as far as the carpark on Kilmashogue Lane at 10:00am this morning and up as far as the top bridge on Cruagh Road. I met the snowplough going up Cruagh Road as I was descending.

Thanks to doozerie for fitting the Schwalbe Marathon winter tyres, they made the descent a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Utter misery cycling in this morning although somehow I STILL managed to beat my sister in the traffic (who does a shorter commute). Think I need to upgrade my wet gear, everything soaked through. Looking forward to the tailwind on the way home :)

I looked a right sight this morning, Egg-yolk yellow jacket, altura night-vision trousers, Aldi winter gloves and wellies! I was toasty dry on the inside. Apart from the shame it would bring on the club I'm contemplating the same kit for the club spin tomorrow ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Planet X wrote: »
    Lovely spin in on the N11. Didn't have to pedal for the first mile or so.
    I too was having a "lovely" spin on the N11, heading out of town ... until I got a puncture. That turned a tough commute into a bloody miserable and protracted commute. Conti GP4000S are great tyres to ride on but I have had a LOT of punctures ... we may have to part company, regrettably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I too was having a "lovely" spin on the N11, heading out of town ... until I got a puncture. That turned a tough commute into a bloody miserable and protracted commute. Conti GP4000S are great tyres to ride on but I have had a LOT of punctures ... we may have to part company, regrettably.

Gatorskins are the ones you want. I put a lot of mileage on a set I put on last may and I haven't had a punture since.
    They are slippy though, next to no grip I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

and wellies! .
    :eek:

Conti GP4000S are great tyres to ride on but I have had a LOT of punctures ... we may have to part company, regrettably.

they're not great tyres at all if you're getting lots of punctures on them.
    I've also got gp4000s tyres on my good bike, they were pricey too, so a bit disheartened to hear you're getting punctures on them.
    Are you cycling through glassy areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

MB Lacey wrote: »

Like Glasnevin or Baltinglass?

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Finglas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Raam wrote: »

Glastule.

Yup, wellies. They're ancient but they're dry and I have flat pedals on the commuter.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Gatorskins are the ones you want. I put a lot of mileage on a set I put on last may and I haven't had a punture since.
    They are slippy though, next to no grip I find.
    Thanks for the tip. However, I've used Gatorskins before and like you, found the wet grip to be poor - too much of a liability in traffic. I may revert to Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, which offer pretty good puncture protection and grip pretty well too. Though they'll certainly be a bit slower than the GP4000S ... compromises, compromises ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I've also got gp4000s tyres on my good bike, they were pricey too, so a bit disheartened to hear you're getting punctures on them.

I find that they don't puncture much, certainly in comparison to most fast-rolling tyres. I don't commute on them though (for which I use virtually puncture proof but heavy and slow Armadillos). The thing I have noticed about GP4000S is that they can go from no punctures at all to completely fecked very quickly. Once they start to cut up, the punctures come thick and fast and it's time to replace. You should get a lot of KMs out of them before this happens though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I may revert to Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, which offer pretty good puncture protection and grip pretty well too. Though they'll certainly be a bit slower than the GP4000S
    Surely, not having to stop and fix punctures makes the marathons the fastest tyres available at any price...

they're not great tyres at all if you're getting lots of punctures on them.
    Some stretches I cycle on are a bit "dirty" alright, though this morning's puncture occurred on an underpass used only by vehicular traffic (so little or no glass) and was caused by a flinty shard of stone. In fairness, the tyre is fairly worn now and I've been waiting for a couple of weeks for a replacement to arrive. The sooner the better.

Once you get away from town, punctures are very rare. At least that's my experience. I've had very few punctures on 23c tyres during training spins. So if you save your good bike for such spins, maybe you'll have no puncture woes. Price wise, I get mine from Rose Bikes. €28 seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Price wise, I get mine from Rose Bikes. €28 seems reasonable.

Me too. In fact it is cheap enough to keep a spare set handy. I prefer to fit new tyres and then order the next set.

Some stretches I cycle on are a bit "dirty" alright, though this morning's puncture occurred on an underpass used only by vehicular traffic (so little or no glass) and was caused by a flinty shard of stone. In fairness, the tyre is fairly worn now and I've been waiting for a couple of weeks for a replacement to arrive. The sooner the better.

Once you get away from town, punctures are very rare. At least that's my experience. I've had very few punctures on 23c tyres during training spins. So if you save your good bike for such spins, maybe you'll have no puncture woes. Price wise, I get mine from Rose Bikes. €28 seems reasonable.
    €28 was a good price, I asked for mine to be put on when I bought my bike new, think the lbs charged me about €44 each :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

colm_gti wrote: »
    Sign me up, opting for the car instead, cycling up the N2 in that wind would be asking for trouble!

Hopefully it eases off for the club spin in the morning!

Cycled up the N3 this morning, a few hairy moments, wind was with me all the way though which was awesome.

Might take an alternate route home, would hate to cycle the n3 with that head wind. Me 10kmph, death machines 100kmph, not looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Ah feck it was all set to start commuting again this morning with new lights and everything, better only be like this for a day or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Take me off the list! Couldn't feel my face for a little while this morning, and not the best day to discover my waterproof boots are no longer fully sealed, but I made the effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

First time being added to the list this Winter :(
    Ongar was very bad this morning but once inside the M50 belt the roads were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

... and on the knoblies went on the MTB. Taking it easy in the middle ring wasn't too bad, grip was sufficient for regular cornering and braking. Shame the snow won't stick till the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Kind of sorry I didn't give it a go. Looked very bad before I left the house and was still coming down. Half an hour later though it was all slush and no ice so probably would have been ok. 60 mins cycling in the snow now seems a lot more tempting than 90 mins sittin in bloody traffic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My third week of cycling to work. Man it was miserable cycling in, but better than the bus. My spare clothes got a bit wet :/ woops.
    /jumps crotch at hand dryers.

Also my bike kept ignoring the fact taht I changed gear, then i'd press it again and it would change two gears, grrr. Was fairly slippery slidey today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Snow from Rathfarnham to about Patrick st, which then turned to mostly sleet for the rest of the way out to the Airport. From Terenure, through Harolds Cross to South Circular Road was particularly heavy snow wise, very unpleasant. My recent waterproof gloves are officially a load of sh*te.

Sleet / snow stopped then at Santry - and it looks like it hasn't snowed / rained at all out at the Airport. Weird weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

daragh_ wrote: »
    Most enjoyable commute in ages. Took the MTB and got blown in. Lots of surface water on the Rock Road which was fun to blast through on the big tires. Everyone going the other way looked feckin miserable so going home should be fun. :rolleyes:
    I think it must've been yourself that sailed by and quickly left me for dead (a bit after Booterstown) on Friday evening. That was one of the hardest commutes I've done, I was completely done in by the Rock Road/Mount Merrion junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Put me on the list for today. Cycled all week (since last wednesday, as I work wed to wed in Zurich) but hit a large area of sheet ice on the way in yesterday morning and came off in a big snotty heap. Wasn't even going that fast. Sore wrist, shoulder, hip and ankle now. Bit warmer today but it snowed again, so I'm happy enough not to be on the bike for a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

ciotog wrote: »
    I think it must've been yourself that sailed by and quickly left me for dead (a bit after Booterstown) on Friday evening. That was one of the hardest commutes I've done, I was completely done in by the Rock Road/Mount Merrion junction.

Was pretty grim alright. Give us a shout next time and I'll hide behind you out of the wind :D

Advertisement