Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

1st day I have ever wimped out in near 5 years cycling. Just didnt want to risk it this close to a full recovery after my wrist break, the lightest of falls would kill me. I hate traffic way more than I hate being wet and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Was secretly happy to have to take the train today into town, roads were very slippy about castleknock. Would have deffo popped my face plant cherry if I was on the bike today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's the forecast for tomorrow? Any reliable sites?

Some sites saying -4 so I'll be on the threadmil tomorrow

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Starting to look treacherous on the roads of North County Dublin. Just driven home and the temperature was showing as 0, but the dampness from earlier in the day was clearly turning icy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah I'd say a hard frost and plenty of ice around. hopefully a bit of snow to make it nice though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Looking out the window this morning the whole road was glazed over. Did a session on the cross trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seriously cold and icy out there this morning folks, take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Plenty of ice about on the roads up to Sandyford Industrial Estate. Took it handy enough and no real problems.

Take it easy though, did have one real wheel spin taking off from lights when I got a little too relaxed about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Walked from D15 to town via Blackhorse Ave and Stoneybatter.
    Castleknock - icy in patches.
    Blackhorse to town - road appeared to be mostly dry.
    Mistake to depend on the bus - hopefully cycle tmrw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

plenty of frozen puddles along the way, goatstown - parkwest. Cold fingers! Otherwise grand.
    Seems to be much less traffic around than usual..... ? Last night going home was very quiet, at 5ish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was debating until the last minute whether to cycle or not, eventually decided to get the train because I'm heading out later (and potential for drink + ice is not healthy), but only realised when I got into the office that I wore my trouser clips the whole way in. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Was a bit frosty in places when heading out from Rathfarnham. At Terenure and further down into town it was all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

No problems D15 to Eastpoint...no slippages....just frozen hands....other than that really enjoyable cycle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Anyone been out in Cork (south of the city - Kinsale) this morning? Think I'll leave it til 11ish to give the sun a chance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My favourite cycle so far today (third week cycling), lovely cold crisp fresh air, not too icy, just some frozen puddles and less drivers. I never get cold anyway when i'm cycling. Was quite nice.

Yesterday was a disaster however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

It's grand in galway. About -3 and foggy but the roads are dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A few brave souls out on MTB's in north Co Dublin early this morning. No road bikes spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Portmarnock/Clontarf pretty ok with MTB/non-knobblies this moring. Completely calm and a bit of light starting to appear as I got to Dublin - lovely spin.

Didn't see a road bike all the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Didn't see a road bike all the way in.

Sorry, I got delayed calming a crying baby.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Sorry, I got delayed calming a crying baby.
    ... thought he lived in Lusk ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Beasty wrote: »

ZING!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

High winds forecast for tomorrow. Is that putting anyone off the commute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

High winds forecast for tomorrow. Is that putting anyone off the commute?

Nope, pedal harder

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

West coast is expected to be getting gusts of up to 130kph. Perect day to dominate strava segments, perfect day if you are looking for an early death wish as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That cycle was pretty windy and I fecking hate drizzle. Was grand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Beasty wrote: »

dead to me. that is what you are. you dont even deserve capital letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wimped out for the first time in a long time. String of reasons. Commuter isn't ready (needs new tyres) + high winds forecast + tired from yesterday's club spin (first long spin in 4 months) = I don't want to ride the MTB today. Or more specifically I don't fancy riding it home.

Took me 40 minutes to do the last 10km home on the club spin yesterday. Absolutely savage headwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I was flying with the wind this morning. Will have to face it on the way back though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Wind this morning made for a bit of a slog, added 10 mins to my 1 hr commute, and it's only getting worse as the day goes on. Getting home could be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

marketty wrote: »
    Wind this morning made for a bit of a slog, added 10 mins to my 1 hr commute, and it's only getting worse as the day goes on. Getting home could be interesting

Same here, Ashbourne to UCD into a savage headwind the whole way, would be class if the wind stayed that way for the commute home, but that'd be asking a bit much!

I thought I knew what a headwind was, I knew nothing!

Advertisement