Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Didn't think it was too bad a headwind this morning - I've certainly experienced a lot worse. Looks like it will picking up a bit for the journey home tonight though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    Didn't think it was too bad a headwind this morning - I've certainly experienced a lot worse. Looks like it will picking up a bit for the journey home tonight though :D

However, it will of course change direction to make sure we don't get a tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I just saw white horses on the grand canal...

It makes me feel a small bit better about not having time for a spin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I went past Johnnie Fox's yesterday on my way home from a spin. The crosswind (feckinlividwind more like) was really bad in places up there, I was never sure if I was going to be blown right across the road (not a bother for the taxi driver who decided to overtake me mid-wobble though, on a bend and towards an oncoming cyclist and car, and only so that he could pull into the pub carpark about 50m ahead - I hope yer pint gave ye the runs, ya moron!). What I wouldn't have given for a headwind instead.

...then I turned right at the crossroads and was heading straight into a headwind, which admittedly did make me question the wisdom of what I'd been wishing for. Still, a strong headwind is preferable to a strong crosswind, usually.

I just saw white horses on the grand canal...

Were they water skiing? You get a better class of antisocial behaviour on the grand canal. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Not too bad. The worst part is having to take up a little more room than is necessary to leave a bit of wiggle room for the bike. Traffic doesn't give you the extra bit of space when passing.

Safe home to everyone later, it's certainly started to pick up now!

And if in doubt, leave the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Safe home to everyone later, it's certainly started to pick up now!

And if in doubt, leave the bike.

That is some wind out there! Glad I don't have far to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

buffalo wrote: »
    Glad I don't have far to go.
    Me too. Only 26km and a bit to get home. Will be grand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Packed my cycle home half way thru today. Wind was blowing me into traffic, cars passing too close. Taking the primary didn't help at all. Wimp :(

Seweryn wrote: »
    Me too. Only 26km and a bit to get home. Will be grand.

haha, nice! I've got about 2.5km. +0.5km to get to the physio. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

+0.5km to get to the physio. :D

Excellent planning. I have ordered an ambulance for quarter past six.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

52 kph South Westerly - Strava time:D

Now will it be Blakes X to Lusk or Lusk to Skerries?

(MWAP need not answer;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Blakes X to Lusk. If I don't get an "Uh Oh!" e-mail, you can go and stand in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Wasn't too bad from city centre (Dublin) -> Lucan via N4 just now. Worst of it was when I turned south onto the ORR (and into the wind) which was very hard work in places. I still track my commutes on my phone and was interested in seeing how much slower than usual I was but for once it failed to track which is annoying.

Blakes X to Lusk. If I don't get an "Uh Oh!" e-mail, you can go and stand in the corner.
    Failed - traffic held me up, and the wind has turned round to WSW, and it was very dark, and wet and ....

.... windy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Just arrived at home after over 31 km long battle. I do not remember ever using the small chainring for most of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    Failed - traffic held me up, and the wind has turned round to WSW, and it was very dark, and wet and ....

.... windy

Tsk, tsk. Windy is right.
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

Left the bike in work and got a lift home after listening to the wind howling all day and checking the reports on the weather forum, didn't fancy my chances

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the cross wind on the way home was a bit mad, don't get blown into traffic now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Headwind the whole way in, would have been nice if the wind stayed this way, but that was too much to ask for, turned into a vicious crosswind the whole way home. And to make matters worse, I left my good light on the low setting all day by accident so it only lasted half the journey home (the part with street lamps). Ok, the backup light will have to do I thought, til the batteries in that died too! It was an interesting cycle home along the N2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Bit choppy on the way home with crosswinds but yesterday was worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I found keeping the speed down and staying in the drops kept me fairly stable against the gusts. I was trying to rush home to collect the young fella from the crèche, but rushing in winds like that is impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

daragh_ wrote: »
    Bit choppy on the way home with crosswinds but yesterday was worse.

Out on the water were you?

haha, nice! I've got about 2.5km. +0.5km to get to the physio. :D

Made it to the physio, had to walk home. Feckin' dry needling again, was using my bike as a crutch!

Wasn't too bad from city centre past Rathfarnham this evening. The route is so built up that you get a certain amount of shelter from the wind for the most part. There were a few points where I hit a strong headwind or a strong crosswind but it never amounted to anything really substantial - I wasn't hit with the kind of winds that I've encountered on very rare occasions in the past when crossing a bridge or passing through a large wide junction.

All of which makes it all even more odd to have encountered some really bizarre "the world is ending, therefore anything goes" antics from a bunch of people on the way home. The woman who drove about 2 inches from my back wheel along a stretch of LUAS tracks - I was right behind a moving LUAS, it wasn't as if the hoor had anywhere to go even if she'd shoved me out of her way. The elderly person who swung their car left towards an empty parking space while a girl was cycling past on the left (near miss but no contact, fortunately). The girl on a bike who wobbled from the left lane to a position in front of me at a red light, then wobbled slowly into the junction as the light was changing to green and as I went to pass her on her right she swung her right arm out and wibbled and wobbled right across my path (heavy use of brakes by me, followed by a dose of loud blaspheming as I pictured my tyre's studs being ejected from the tyre, cranky "I had my hand out" response from her, her indignation almost causing her to collide with the kerb). The driver at the bridge just before Rathmines who decided that rather than blocking just one lane with his "I tried to turn out of the side street onto this lane, but feckit sure I couldn't be arsed doing it properly" manoeuvre, he'd try his hand at blocking the outer lane as well, as I was cycling past in it.

I can usually handle what nature throws at me on my commute, what humanity throws at me is a whole other matter - I know which I find more dangerous! So can we have a "people" forecast along with the weather forecast? "As gales cross the country this evening, prepare for oubreaks of utter squally gob****ery in many areas".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Lusk Doyle wrote: »

Out on the water were you?

I've taken up wind surfing. The outfits are very fetching.

Made it to the physio, had to walk home. Feckin' dry needling again, was using my bike as a crutch!

I read that as "was using my bike as a crotch" and I wondered whether you'd suffer an incident of a dry needle going horribly astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

The wind was directly behind me one the way home and there was only a short relatively sheltered stretch where it was across me. I'm not sure how I'd have got on if I had had the full strength of wind from the side.

doozerie wrote: »
    All of which makes it all even more odd to have encountered some really bizarre "the world is ending, therefore anything goes" antics from a bunch of people on the way home.

I had a couple of nearly ones this morning which made me think of a full moon. It was a day or two ago though!

• Advertisement

Cycled in this morning and it was a bit of a pain of a headwind. The wind has really ramped up though - so much so that I'm considering leaving the bike in work tonight. Don't think I've ever done that before! I was out walking at lunchtime and was blown to a standstill at one point.

Advertisement