Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

She's a blowin' hard now alright!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did a spin this morning. it was windy. Seems to have gone up a couple of notches this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

It's supposed to ease a bit over the next while, according to Accuweather at any rate. No sign of that so far though. Still very windy in D2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Blasted home from UCD resting my nose on my stem.

Clipless pedals are essential safety equipment in this weather. Saw a fair few commuters tap dancing on the air around their pedals on the downhills (the whole route is almost exclusively gentle downslope).

This is a clear argument for a drop bar commuter.

Now if I can just find a suitcase of money....

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Oh ****, what have I done.....came in this morning with a few gusts, got a puncture, replaced the tube, attempted to fix original tube only to have it explode, dont have a spare, and its very very windy outside. Only good thing is that home is downwind :-)

Ain't joining your list today.....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My slowest top speed on the full commute since before Obama got voted in first time round this morning. Not not hit 40kph since 10/11/08, but only managed a top speed of 38kph this morning.

Unfortunately it looks like it's turning more Westerly for the journey home, which is going to limit Strava opportunities:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

What the hell is going on with that weather?!

It was glorious and I leaving Ashbourne this morning, despite the vicious crosswind on the N2. It has alternated between glorious and atrocious about 20 times in the last half hour!

Ah well, at least my gear is still dry after the ride in, nothing worse than slipping into wet gear for the ride home!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    Not not hit 40kph since 10/11/08, but only managed a top speed of 38kph this morning
    Beasty - going by your STRAVA feeds, I would have thought they were your normal average speeds! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Uneventful commute, up until I got a puncture on the strawberry beds. Quick road side fix and then trying to make up the 10 minutes lost proved very difficult from against a hurricane from Lucan to city west. Good news is that it's on my back on the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Ditto on the puncture Gav, see a few posts up!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty - going by your STRAVA feeds, I would have thought they were your normal average speeds! :)
    I did average that speed on the 4 April 2012 commute in - got a few KOMs that day, and the date is forever stuck in my mind now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

t'bear wrote: »
    Ditto on the puncture Gav, see a few posts up!

Snap! (Actually, that's all I need is a broken chain, so won't tempt fate!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I went for a spin this morning. The wind was all over the place. One minute you had a tail wind the next a head wind. Didnt help me along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

'Twas okay again on my way home yesterday evening. Still some extra lunacy on the part of some people on the roads though - the prize for the evening must go to the guy cycling on the wrong side of the road past the Swan Centre in Rathmines. He looked like a rabbit in headlights, his face a mask of impending doom - all he was short was a "The end is nigh. NIGH!" sign around his neck, which would actually have been very apt given how busy that road is usually.

Was half way home though when I realised that my rain jacket, which had been strapped to my pannier bag, was no longer there. Balls! That's the first time the jacket has been dislodged from that bag in several years of commuting regularly with it like that. I turned back to retrace my route. Along the way a car decided to pull into the bus lane on top of me. I gestured my discontent. He slowed up, and as I passed him on the left he swung his car across to pull into a driveway. I hauled on the brakes as he stopped his car across my path. A discussion ensued.

I asked how he could possibly not have seen me given I had a bright torch (a claimed 450 lumens) on my bars and a bright torch (a claimed 200 lumens or so) on my helmet. He did see me, he said. Ah, grand so, I thought, let the berating begin. It had been a relatively stressful day up to that point and I wasn't sure that I could express my displeasure adequately as so many unhappy and impolite words vied amongst other other to be expressed. I was very surprised to hear my raised voice put coherent sentences together. And I even managed to somehow adopt a tone of severe parental disapproval, the manic rage interjecting only occasionally to add emphasis. I wouldn't have been surprised to have heard myself utter "Your behaviour is completely unacceptable! I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!".

I eventually found my rain jacket, it was lying in a puddle right where Mr. "The end is nigh!" had skimmed past me. Ironically it nearly was the end for my jacket as it had at least one car tyre track along it. It had managed to soak up quite a lot of water too, not a great recommendation for a rain jacket really. Still, it'll be back on my saddle bag again later, no doubt clinging on tightly ...and very nervously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Waited until about 11:30 when there was a lull in Santry in the rain. By time I got the gear on it had started again. Fought wind and rain all the way to Southside, seemed to ease off as I pedaled along Merrion Road, turned into some monstrously angry wind trying to get up Nutley Lane. Discovered why everyone hates the bike lane on the N11. Stood hiding from the rain behind a bus by Montrose for 20 minutes waiting for someone. Back down to Donnybrook to a cafe trying to get warm, then into a meeting about my pension, where on leaving I had to apologise for leaving a huge wet patch on the chair. They thought it was from my rainsoaked gear... Journey home was dry.

Despite the traffic in the city centre being the busiest and most hazardous I've ever experienced, it was quite a pleasant cycle home!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Lovely evening, so I slightly extended my return commute home to almost 40km.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Seweryn wrote: »
    Lovely evening, so I slightly extended my return commute home to almost 40km.

Really? Still pretty windy in Dublin. Not near as bad as it was earlier, but not nice if you're heading into the wind.

Really? Still pretty windy in Dublin. Not near as bad as it was earlier, but not nice if you're heading into the wind.

Didn't think it was windy in Dublin at all, though fatties like me have the downforce to keep the bike rubber side down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

First commute this year, I know I know I'm a total wimp. Was grand on the way in with a tail wind sometimes side wind,I actually forgot how hard it is to push my wife's cheap Mtb along or it could be the new marathon pluses slowing me down. The return journey was an absolute pig,bloody head wind most of the way and I swear them marathons are harder to cycle uphill than the contential contacts I had on before or maybe I'm just outta shape.

Anyway enjoyed it all looking forward to the next commute, will have to consider doing the bike to work scheme. Bonus was I missed all the rain showers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Well, there was no rain and the sky was quite clear. Bit windy, yes, but not as bad as on Monday. The wind got chilly later in the evening, but still pleasant ride comparing to recent days ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Would be impressed if anyone tops my last two days commute .38 miles each way !Yesterday was bliss ,the expected headwind for the trip in never materialised and the trip home was great with a howling tailwind !Today!Oh man!This morning the headwind got worse all the way and in the final ten miles had a two mile stretch where I was on about a 36x24 down on drops with nose on stem(never topped 9mph!) .Biggest fear was not in fact being blown off the road but suffocating as 70mph(?) wind hammered down air passages!Had to tilt head backwards a few times to catch a breath.Trip home today was not as easy as yesterday .Route is fairly hilly round back of Hill of Allen /Boston Hill so I think the moral of the story is wind can be far harder to tackle than even moderate hills .

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Cycled in this morning on the bike 2 minutes had the rain gear on and suffered through a hail shower. Survived that then pushed on through a headwind all the way in. 14k of miserable weather but better than driving as there was a tail back all the way to Drumcondra from an accident on Church St.
    Flew home barely broke a sweat. Was able to race a JCB at the airport without getting into the big cog.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sick boy at the mo so doing feck all....

Wimp city.........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sick boy at the mo so doing feck all....

Wimp city.........

get well soon. Doin feck all myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Still off the list, up Howth tonight, cycle home (south) along the seafront was not great, but not that awful either. I like a bit of wind - keeps things interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Listening to that from my bed, dreading the thoughts of the bus *sigh* back on the list so

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

doozerie wrote: »
    I hauled on the brakes as he stopped his car across my path. A discussion ensued.
    Scholarstown road, around 19.30 by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Much better out today. After pootling around Dublin on my commuter while sniffing the fragrance of my stem for the last few days I took the roadbike out for a short spin around the park tonight.

Wind levels have dropped from scary to annoying.

PS: don't suppose that was a boardsie I briefly passed on the quays? On a Ridley in full Giant gear?

I felt wounded when you used my slowing for a Jay walker against me. Wounded I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

while sniffing the fragrance of my stem for the last few days
    LOL - you have a great turn of phrase! :D

Advertisement