Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

seamus wrote: »
    Scholarstown road, around 19.30 by any chance?

No, wrong place, wrong time. ...I was Colonal Mustard, in the driveway, with the lead pipe (Cluedo Road Rage, a special Irish edition of the popular board game).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Wow, it is completely white outside. 26km in the snow on country roads is going to be some fun :D.

Are ye on yer bikes today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

want to, unfortunately last day in work so have oodles of things to bring home: need the car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Seweryn wrote: »
    Wow, it is completely white outside. 26km in the snow on country roads is going to be some fun :D.

Are ye on yer bikes today?
    Planning on it! Fastest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Conditions poor on the N4. Bus for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

So my journey started...

8446339991_d23b7b3c8a_z.jpg

It was nice on the way!

8447427288_35cc405e7e_z.jpg

And finally it was all over:

8447426978_19fce35ec4_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

wimped out, Accuweather 'realfeel' said -10 and winds were unfavourable, roads were pretty bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

kenmc wrote: »
    want to, unfortunately last day in work so have oodles of things to bring home: need the car :(

Heard that, congrats on the new one! Also, get a trailer for the bike - be handy for the kid in a few years, and we would't have to point at you and call you a wimp.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Conditions poor on the N4. Bus for me.
    N4 was grand, I had a couple of wobbles on the roads-less-travelled, but once on the N4, it was was of the nicests commutes for a couple of weeks.
    Feel bad now for taking the bus? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

rp wrote: »
    N4 was grand, I had a couple of wobbles on the roads-less-travelled, but once on the N4, it was was of the nicests commutes for a couple of weeks.
    Feel bad now for taking the bus? :)

Couple of wobbles, why risk it ?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Couple of wobbles, why risk it ?
    I don't mind the odd wobble, plus the fixie is a very different beast than a gearie on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

First morning I've turned back and got the car in 3 years of cycle commuting., was really bad around my way (Dublin 15) roads and paths were very icy. Then it started to snow on top of it again, saw a few pedestrian face plants on the way to work, so think I made the right decision

I cycled in this morning. Leaving the house, I noticed my front wheel was a bit wobbly - I'm missing the but from the left end of the front axle! :eek: Cycled in okay, took it handy obviously. Now I'm trying to figure out a) easiest place to get a replacement, and b) where the hell it went! Did it get a bang and disintegrate last Thursday when I fell? Work its way off since then? Did someone nick it over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    First morning I've turned back and got the car in 3 years of cycle commuting., was really bad around my way (Dublin 15) roads and paths were very icy. Then it started to snow on top of it again, saw a few pedestrian face plants on the way to work, so think I made the right decision

I decided today would be my first day back on it. I made it without falling but saw a few people have near misses and one down in the park. D15 was bad alright I just went slow until I hit town. didn't even break a sweat :eek: Think I got out early enough only started snowing about 8. Been a wimp all year until today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Road was fine between Blackrock and city centre, hell of a breeze though :) Feels like coming to the end of a week of commuting not day 2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Actually off work with the "dreaded lurgy" as G Hook would say but itching to get out on the xCross bike ...
    Kids got to use their sled's this morning for the first time ever (got them about 4 years ago).
    Big kid myself with this weather and still get a childish thrill seeing snow lying..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Had a couple of cm of snow in the estate. Wouldnt risk it. Took an hour to travel 1km out of the estate with the snow/compacted ice. No way was I cycling in that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Had no snow or ice or anything, cycled in grand this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

ciotog wrote: »
    Road was fine between Blackrock and city centre, hell of a breeze though :) Feels like coming to the end of a week of commuting not day 2.

As I have a mortal fear of ice I took the MTB. I may as well have been riding a gate into the wind. Turned up the canal to go to Kilmainham hoping against hope that the wind would give me a break, but it just got worse. On my knees by the time I got into the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

daragh_ wrote: »
    As I have a mortal fear of ice I took the MTB. I may as well have been riding a gate into the wind. Turned up the canal to go to Kilmainham hoping against hope that the wind would give me a break, but it just got worse. On my knees by the time I got into the office.

You should have it with you on the way home so. I'm heading into it. Your description of riding a gate is pretty accurate. That said, my MTB only adds between 5 and 10 minutes to my ~1hr commute. I think the weight of the thing increases my output though.

• Advertisement

daragh_ wrote: »
    On my knees by the time I got into the office.

Do you have any videos of you cycling like that? I'd love to see it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tight enough in that wind this morning but still a bit meh (always sounds worse when the treesa re howling around the house )

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

nice breeze this morning, but why is it never in the back... always right in your face LOL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Very warm this morning but I was really slowed down by the wind. Slowest cycle ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Anyone out today that can comment on the wind? Phoenix park/Howth'ish routes..

First day back in the office after d'incident. Cycled in. Cue various comments from people in work about craziness, but sure how else does one get about the city quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Well you can get to the cardiac ward more reliably in a car...

Exploded my knee after cycling to a call out last night. No cycling for me today...:(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry, but the wimp list is closed for entries between May and August - no-one has any weather-related excuse during these months, and further action may be taken against posters who try and come up with any ...

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry, but the wimp list is closed for entries between May and August - no-one has any weather-related excuse during these months, and further action may be taken against posters who try and come up with any ...

IT'S TOOO HHHHHOOOOT!!

• Advertisement

Miserable this morning in that wind and rain. Never been so slow going down a hill.

Advertisement