Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Not the nicest day for a commute. Still, covered 27km as usual and enjoyed it more than I though I will before I left my house. Had mainly tail wind, so rain did not bother me much. It was actually worse yesterday morning than today.
    Anyway, the evening commute is not going to be much fun though :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I didn't notice the wind and rain......safely ensconced in my car......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Inquitus wrote: »

Wimp.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ditto .....

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

I DART-wimped this morning. Made the decision last night after seeing the forecast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

Was one of 5 Swords cc riders who commuted from Skerries into the headwind this morning. Wouldn't have fancied it on my own.

Looking forward to the tailwind home!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Finally made the wimp list, got stomach cramps in work last night combined with odd sweating patterns. The wife came in and collected me. I could have cycled but I thought, to hell with it, she is still awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Ah, the wimp list. Meant to add myself a few weeks ago, but I forgot. A ridiculously windy, horrible friday evening, myself and a mate were going to do a couple of laps of Howth Hill, but on being blown off our bikes by the gale, we did what any sensible wimp would do... we turned around and went for scones and coffee in bay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Man it's good cycling these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Brought my wet gear in anticipating the weather this afternoon, now I'm thinking "f&ck it! I'm getting the bus home!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's not even November yet, bit early for this thread?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It's not even November yet, bit early for this thread?
    Not really - if you're admitting to wimping out in July you deserve the ridicule that this thread is intended to deliver ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

I got soaked to the core this afternoon, at least it's kinda mild...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

High Nelly and the oilskins. Only short of the sou'wester hat this morning.

Wish I wimped out the other day, my runners were filled with water, I was so wet people were laughing. Haha.
    Still haven't give up yet, 1100km commuting done on my first bike this year. Stay away rain grr

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jawgap wrote: »
    Brought my wet gear in anticipating the weather this afternoon, now I'm thinking "f&ck it! I'm getting the bus home!"
    I was hoping you'd get the bus home so that I may have a chance of passing you on the Powerbar Challenge. :)

I was childminding all day so I couldn't get out and have just discovered that Mrs WA is working until 11pm so my chance is now gone (unless I can get 102kms in before midnight). :(

Which leads me to wonder, does a full ride which begins before midnight count even if it goes on well past midnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Riding to Galway tomorrow, forecast is horrendous. Get the train they say, be grand.

Never. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Which leads me to wonder, does a full ride which begins before midnight count even if it goes on well past midnight?

I believe it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Arguably a contender for the wimp list, I passed on the opportunity of climbing up to Ax 3 domain today having done so yesterday and being mightily unimpressed with what's up there. Although it is some climb up in 30 plus degrees.

</winter_talk>

I believe it does.
    It seems it would be possible then for someone (if so inclined) to begin a ride before midnight tonight and to continue with subsequent rides without resetting their Garmin until 3rd August (the last day for uploading).

(That probably explains how one regular poster here has a "longest ride" of over 5,800kms on STRAVA).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

It seems it would be possible then for someone (if so inclined) to begin a ride before midnight tonight and to continue with subsequent rides without resetting their Garmin until 3rd August (the last day for uploading).

(That probably explains how one regular poster here has a "longest ride" of over 5,800kms on STRAVA).

The lengths some people go to....:rolleyes:

colm_gti wrote: »
    The lengths some people go to....:rolleyes:
    Ah, not me colm! I'll have to call it a day on the 1,780. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I was hoping you'd get the bus home so that I may have a chance of passing you on the Powerbar Challenge. :)

I was childminding all day so I couldn't get out and have just discovered that Mrs WA is working until 11pm so my chance is now gone (unless I can get 102kms in before midnight). :(

Just checked to see what you were talking about. All I can says is....... :)

I think that's the first time I've seen a challenge that's not been Sherlocked - somebody just needs to waylay him until after the 3rd of August or we'll all drop a place.

• Site Banned Posts: 87 ✭✭F35

Staro wrote: »
    I rode in this morning and passed a guy at speed, he sped up caugh and passed me, I think I awoke his inner "Beast"??

The road back into skerries was in pretty bad shape this evening.

hehehh

Jawgap wrote: »
    Just checked to see what you were talking about. All I can says is....... :)

I think that's the first time I've seen a challenge that's not been Sherlocked - somebody just needs to waylay him until after the 3rd of August or we'll all drop a place.
    If he joined now he'd go in at about No.3 in Ireland (approx 2,600kms) but in fairness, he incorporates a hell of a lot more climbing in his rides than the rest of us.

If he stayed on the flat..........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

colm_gti wrote: »
    I got soaked to the core this afternoon, at least it's kinda mild...

I now have images of you having turned yourself inside out and placed yourself on a warm radiator. I suggest that next time you stuff yourself with newspapers instead, the images associated with that are less gruesome!

I commuted home last Friday when the rain was pelting down. It was actually quite novel, given recent weather and the mildness of the day, and I enjoyed it despite getting soaked.

On Sunday I rode over Sallygap, I got soaked before Laragh and the rain continued as I climbed. Again because of the mild weather it was actually fine. Then there was a hefty clap of thunder and I suddenly felt very small, very insignificant, and quite vulnerable. The fun side of things was replaced by a strong desire to get home in a hurry, and possibly hide under a bed. Is it still wimping if you just wimp in spirit?...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Wish I wimped out the other day, my runners were filled with water, I was so wet people were laughing.

I have discovered the ultimate cure for this: flip-flops. Completely waterproof, all you need at the other end of your journey is a towel and you're ready to go!

...I'm not sure if cycling in flip-flops is better or worse than wearing work socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

buffalo wrote: »
    I have discovered the ultimate cure for this: flip-flops. Completely waterproof, all you need at the other end of your journey is a towel and you're ready to go!

...I'm not sure if cycling in flip-flops is better or worse than wearing work socks.

Why you dont wear flip flops whilst cycling:

http://imgur.com/A5kTSYV

Warning - URGH!

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    I have discovered the ultimate cure for this: flip-flops.

Flip-flops are the ultimate cure for many things, most notably: credibility, dignity, and social popularity.

Advertisement