Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Alek wrote: »
    My Garmin shows 9C, so does Windfinder at 9am: http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/dublin

Not at 08:00 it wasnt.. but it is nice and bright and a bit warmer now

we have a little weather station at work so its reasonably accurate..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Full winter gear was just right this morning at 7:30. The phone weather app was showing 3 degrees in Churchtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I thought today was pleasant actuially, left at 8:30. Yesterday was a bit chilly though, I had planned to reconsider going in shorts and fingerless gloves this morning after yesterday, but then it was warm this morning so i didn't bother rummaging for anything warmer.

Will probably drag out the full leg tights (to wear under shorts) and fingered gloves soon though.

The soft shell has already come out to go over the cycling tops until next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm still in my summer gear + long sleeve thin baselayer... Its chilly alright at the start, but after 5min of commuter race you don't really notice ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Was about to get on the bike, wife says "I don't need the car today." Donedeal, nice 5km commute in toasty warm car, brrrr twas cold outside ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My Garmin shows 9C, so does Windfinder at 9am: http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/dublin

In fairness the temperature has risen rapidly - 5 degrees this morning (when I left at 8.15) to 9 degrees now (dublin temps - taken at dublin airport afaik)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

6 degrees when I left home and 9 or 10 degrees by the time I hit town 20 minutes later at about 07:45

In fairness the temperature has risen rapidly - 5 degrees this morning (when I left at 8.15)

I also left home at 8:15 (Harold's Cross) and after the Garmin's temperature has stabilised (~15min) it was showing solid 9 http://app.strava.com/activities/202192112/analysis

I think that city centre is always a bit warmer than the suburbs.
    dublin temps - taken at dublin airport afaik)

According to reports it was 3C at 6am and 8C at 9am :)http://www.windfinder.com/report/air/dublin

Not that the meteo sensor is shaded, while Gramin isn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I left (at 5:10) and it was 5 degrees and when I got back (6:50) it was still 5 degrees but I did warm up in between

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

godtabh wrote: »
    I left (at 5:10) and it was 5 degrees and when I got back (6:50) it was still 5 degrees but I did warm up in between

Your early morning efforts are an inspiration, I need to be doing more of these myself. Only managed a handful of pre-dawn runs this summer, and really enjoyed each and every one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

smacl wrote: »
    Your early morning efforts are an inspiration, I need to be doing more of these myself. Only managed a handful of pre-dawn runs this summer, and really enjoyed each and every one.

when you work, go to college and have a 2 year old you have little chance when you cycle!

when you work, go to college and have a 2 year old you have little chance when you cycle!

Its good to know you can get out once they hit two, something to look forward too.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its good to know you can get out once they hit two, something to look forward too.

I've been doing it since he was a month old (maybe not as much back then). Biggest mistake my wife ever made (that and marrying me)

I've been doing it since he was a month old (maybe not as much back then). Biggest mistake my wife ever made (that and marrying me)

Mine decided that this was not appropriate, got out for the track league this year and that was it along with commuting (which has gotten suspiciously longer since we moved closer to where I work).

Going to aim for the track and club league next year, work into Overnight Audaxes when he is three, maybe get a cargo bike with a hub dynamo and a tablet so he can watch TV and sleep while Daddy traverses the country.

Mine decided that this was not appropriate, got out for the track league this year and that was it along with commuting (which has gotten suspiciously longer since we moved closer to where I work).

Going to aim for the track and club league next year, work into Overnight Audaxes when he is three, maybe get a cargo bike with a hub dynamo and a tablet so he can watch TV and sleep while Daddy traverses the country.

Problem with this is when he is 3 number 2 is probably 1 and when number 2 is 3 then number 3 is 1 and so on.

and if you can follow that go on Countdowm..

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Problem with this is when he is 3 number 2 is probably 1 and when number 2 is 3 then number 3 is 1 and so on.

Number 1 will be 3 next summer and No. 2 6 months. I've bought a child seat. My wife got me a be a piece of **** bike. Next summer will be new bike and child seat no. 2. Everyone happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I look forward to the Bullit 'Audax'. You'll be able to be a mobile control, complete with tea and sandwiches...

Problem with this is when he is 3 number 2 is probably 1

Uhm. Tell me about it.
    and when number 2 is 3 then number 3 is 1 and so on.

One more and my next cycle will be the vasectomy clinic. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, could have done with a long-sleeve jersey this morning.

• Advertisement

Number one is 18yo, Number 2 is 1yo, we have them pretty well spaced. I think I am happy to call it a day with two.

That expression, the best contraception is other peoples kids, I have found that that the best contraception are your own kids :pac:
    Number 1 will be 3 next summer and No. 2 6 months. I've bought a child seat. My wife caught be a piece of **** bike. Next summer will be new bike and child seat 2. Every one happy!
    Bike seat arrived this morning, will fit this evening and take a run to the creche in the morning, very excited.

Bike seat arrived this morning, will fit this evening and take a run to the creche in the morning, very excited.

Given the weather forecast for tomorrow I expect the wimp list to be in full force

Given the weather forecast for tomorrow I expect the wimp list to be in full force

Judging by the winds tomorrow, I expect the fastest commute into work in a long time, may need to buy a rain cover for the bike seat though, does anyone have one or can recommend one, the Hamax official ones are quite pricey for what they are.

You can have mine (hamax) for some time as I have no use of it until 9th Oct.

The problem is that I'll be home about 8pm tonight (Harold's Cross).

Number one is 18yo, Number 2 is 1yo, we have them pretty well spaced. I think I am happy to call it a day with two.

That expression, the best contraception is other peoples kids, I have found that that the best contraception are your own kids :pac:

No problem so. A permanent babysitter??

The problem is that I'll be home about 8pm tonight (Harold's Cross).
    If its OK, I'll swing by and pick it up after, no harm if its not.
    Great in theory :(

If its OK, I'll swing by and pick it up after, no harm if its not.

PM sent :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Our eldest recently reached that age where she can babysit her younger sister. Joy of joys, myself and the missus once again have a social life. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I used the granny ring this morning. :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I used the granny ring this morning. :(
    This is where you admit to ducking out - This is the thread for you

Of course today was always "planned" to be a rest day for me....

Advertisement