Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

wore a winter jersey and base layer this morning.nice and toastie!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

mathie wrote: »
    :D
    Do you need a base layer under it in this kind of weather?

Just a light sleeveless, I have a fawnsome vest as well as the long sleeve. I had that on for the first half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Wimped out today - not a fan of high winds plus five a side tonight.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Too icy yesterday, too wet today, too windy tomorrow. Not even had to break out the bib-tights since February, given my regression to wimpishness....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Too icy yesterday, too wet today, too windy tomorrow. Not even had to break out the bib-tights since February, given my regression to wimpishness....

The only thing stopping the Knights of VCB are ice and blue moon !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cycled yesterday, wimped out today with the wind. Turned out not to be as bad in the city as it was at home, and regretted it the whole 40 odd minutes it took from the Goat to Beaver Row (to quote Paul Calf - F**kin Students).

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

I'm inscribing myself on the wimp list for the rest of the year. :o

I thought I might get another week out of it, but the wind yesterday and today put me off, and I've a Christmas do on Friday. I expect traffic to be worse next week, and cycling in the evenings just before Christmas gives me the heeby-jeebies between drivers impatient because of heavy traffic, or chancing their arms after office Christmas lunch / just the one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Cycled yesterday, wimped out today with the wind. Turned out not to be as bad in the city as it was at home, and regretted it the whole 40 odd minutes it took from the Goat to Beaver Row (to quote Paul Calf - F**kin Students).

Came down that way, it was actually far worse on the way home, the wind lessened after the goat, you would have flown in.

Don't get me started on the students, RANT, RANT, RANT,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Cycled home in the rain and wind yesterday evening, and came very close to being blown one lane over going over the Sam Beckett bridge, and again at the Bord Gais on Cardiff Lane - horrendous crosswinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

RobFowl wrote: »
    The only thing stopping the Knights of VCB are ice and blue moon !

I really can't take you guys seriously. Every time I see your logo I am reminded of Monty Python and a Shrubbery. :)

Anyway, did a few repeats of howth and a spin in via the cycle track along the coast into a lovely headwind this morning. I thought about wimping out but figured I should 1)HTFU, and 2)nature is offering lots of free ressistance training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm officially a wimp :( got the Dart this morning, wind was loud and strong out the bedroom window so wimped out.
    Regular service should resume tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Looks like a picked the wrong morning to go the coast road from Howth into town.
    My speed was down to under half what it normally is.

It felt like I was trying to cycle behind a jet that was talking off.
    Meanwhile kids on fixies going the opposite direction were disappearing and leaving flames on the cycle path when they hit 88 mph.

No doubt I'll have the wind in my face on the way home too.
    Ireland. A great place to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Am currently without a turbo so said I'd go for an actual spin today, shed door tried to eat my leg with the assistance of the wind so returned to the safety of the couch.
    Ballyhoura on Friday so that'll make up for todays wimpyness..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Having kept it at bay I finally got struck by whatever cold/chest etc is going around and am comfortably on the list since yesterday until the forseeable future. That said getting the bus is probably prolonging it all

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

First time since March I succumbed to full bib tights this morning, which must warrant a place in here ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

<excuse>'twas a bit too slidey this morning, </excuse>

Stick me down for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Ya I came off the bike twice before I left my estate, had to turn around, get changed, get the bus, every cyclist I see makes me feel like a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ya I came off the bike twice before I left my estate, had to turn around, get changed, get the bus, every cyclist I see makes me feel like a coward.

Cycling this morning would have been foolish, not stupid. At least it would be foolish to cycle on a road bike on roads that are not gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭mojesius

I couldn't cycle today either. The wind would bore a hole through ya! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Cycling this morning would have been foolish, not stupid. At least it would be foolish to cycle on a road bike on roads that are not gritted.
    True *.

* I'm a Fool :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

I actually cycled in this morning and didn't really think the roads were in too bad a condition given the temp. Perhaps just my route.. feeling good about the year so far, relatively new to the cycling commute and haven't missed a day this year.

I am assuming that if i don't get put off by the last few days, summer will be an altogether enjoyable one

Edit: Although maybe because i haven't fallen in icy conditions before i cycled this morning..

Seweryn wrote: »
    True *.

* I'm a Fool :o.

Your lucky your not in A&E right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Your lucky your not in A&E right now....
    It all depends how you handle the conditions. If you cycle on the snow as you normally would on a dry road, then you will most likely be in trouble sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

/moved to the right thread/

Agree.. and it also depends on your route. In my case, I usually leave the house around 7am. I have to cycle on unlit and ungritted roads for the first four or five kilometres, before I reach the main road.

I came off on black-ice a few years ago and I was lucky to get away with just a few scratches. for me its not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Nutgrove to Bluebell and all roads were in decent condition. Once out of my area which is about 200m i was glad i took the bike. Took it slow at about a average of 20kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Deedsie wrote: »

I had to walk (or half-slide) down my own road, which has a fairly steep incline out onto the main road. Once I got onto the main road, it was fine, once I stayed well out from the icy puddles at the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Ya I was on a road bike, the estate was crazy slippy but if I had just walked out to the road I would have been grand. After hitting the ground though I didn't think it was worth chancing.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    I had to walk (or half-slide) down my own road, which has a fairly steep incline out onto the main road. Once I got onto the main road, it was fine, once I stayed well out from the icy puddles at the kerb.

I'll prob try cycle tomorrow, I hate not cycling in. The bus is such a miserable experience. The weather tomorrow may also force my hand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Was standing at the Luas stop in Glencairn miserable, cold and late when some nutter on a hybrid cycled past in a pair of GAA shorts.

The shame :-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wore shorts all week, might flick over to the tights soon though.

Advertisement