Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've seen 2 or 3 madmen cyclists in shorts this morning.
    I wore shorts all week

Fair play :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alek wrote: »
    Fair play :eek:

Stupidity and tiredness more than anything else but it hasn't felt too bad so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Wimped out today and been wimping out more than I'd care to admit in this cold windy weather, for those with the choice of the car sometimes it's an all too easy choice. I do feel guilty (almost) every time I take the car though.
    Don't suppose I claw back any marks for that...

Jabel wrote: »
    Wimped out today and been wimping out more than I'd care to admit in this cold windy weather, for those with the choice of the car sometimes it's an all too easy choice. I do feel guilty (almost) every time I take the car though.
    Don't suppose I claw back any marks for that...

I pitied everyone on the N11 yesterday evening, while the heavy traffic slowed me down. The first cars I seen move where the Audis that got bored of traffic and went for the buslane at RTE, although they still ended up back in traffic after the UCD bridge, was pitying the lack of a squad car in the bus lane.

A friend of mine who drives most days took 1 hour and 25 minutes to cover what would have been a 40minute walk.

The worse the weather, the more likely I will be on my bike at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

CramCycle wrote: »
    The worse the weather, the more likely I will be on my bike at this stage.

I'm the same. My wife has been offering me lifts the past 2 days but I can't face how long we'd be stuck in traffic. And with a baby in the car seat. Hell no!

• Advertisement

quozl wrote: »
    I'm the same. My wife has been offering me lifts the past 2 days but I can't face how long we'd be stuck in traffic. And with a baby in the car seat. Hell no!

Thankful for the bike seat on the bike last night. My wife hates it but I always bring it with me in case she doesn't make it home in time. By the time she got home the creche would have been closed for 30 minutes. I had wrapped the little lad up nice and toasty, and I could hear nothing but him giggling the whole way home.

I am sure the creche would have looked after him as there were still loads of kids there at closing, presumably for the same reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just got in from commuting southbound on the N11. And the breeze just starting........:eek:
    Ortlieb pannier nearly took me down a few times......acts as a sail on the cross winds. Nice one.
    That's a slick wind out there.

Be giving the Dutch Headwind Cycling Championships a miss next year then.

(But if I take off the pannier.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Planet X wrote: »
    Dutch Headwind Cycling Championships

Haha, thanks for the heads up :D:D

Screen-Shot-2014-12-15-at-10.38.58.png
    Taking place on the Oosterscheldekering storm barrier that faces out on to the North Sea, competitors must ride the hellish 8.5km course into a 90kmph head wind, and not only that, they’ve got to do it on upright single-speed bikes, just to make it that little bit harder.
    Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/hardest-time-trial-world-riders-suffer-dutch-headwind-championships-video-149282#zYQVvGAdGylqYBQt.99

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Got blown out to the white line today by a gust :eek: Not too cold though, it has that going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

gadetra wrote: »
    Got blown out to the white line today by a gust :eek: Not too cold though, it has that going for it.
    Some fun with the snow in the morning and now one hour in the hurricane, never mind the rain :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Easy cycle today - wasn't as bad as predicted!

Certainly wasn't cold in Dublin city and the cycle in required minimal effort, I feel the cycle home maybe a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

CramCycle wrote: »
    Certainly wasn't cold in Dublin city and the cycle in required minimal effort, I feel the cycle home maybe a different story.

Think the wind will swing nicely around to the west for going home. Bad evening to be commuting westwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Think the wind will swing nicely around to the west for going home. Bad evening to be commuting westwards.

Yeah dreading the Phoenix Park already - usually going right into it once it swings west.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Thought I'd have to bow out after seeing the weather last night..Wasn't too bad at all though.

Gale force headwinds for the commute home though

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Reporting for duty, I'm afraid. Didn't want to chance the roads as the ones in my estate had never fully cleared since yesterday, and then more snow fell on top of that overnight. Wimped out and got the train, but to be honest I was glad given that the couple of roads I walked across on the way had a mix of ice and slushy crap on them, and I might not have made it out of the estate on the bike without a spill or two (have only the road bike with slick tyres).

At least it looks like it should be clearer for tomorrow morning, and on the bright side the train was quieter than I remember the average being.

Lousy (S)march weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Dinging

So wanted to be on this list but woke up still feeling the effects of the large amount of alcohol consumed yesterday celebrating Irelands win so could not drive. Possibly over the limit. The cycle in was refreshing considering the state I'm in but fading fast now. Cycle home is going to be a tough one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Yeah I wimped too.

Today was to be my first commute since I moved back to Ireland and started the new job, but sliding down my driveway at 7am this morning made me realise that cycling in wasn't such a wise idea.

Put the bike back and drove over instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Landed on my ass within 30 seconds this morning. The exit of my estate is hideously cambered, I turned left and the bike went out from under me. 23c tyres don't play nice with black ice. Didn't really have the option to wimp out as a lift to college wasn't available, although I did change my route somewhat. Not looking forward to the cycle home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Wimped out of the race in Navan yesterday. Im my defence I had cycled 30km over to Navan when it started to get heavy with snow. Sat about for an hour in wet clothes shiverring waiting for things to start, followed by another 10mins waiting on the side of the road for the A3 race to get started. Lasted about 20mins into the race and could not change gears or brake and constantly chattering/shaking with the cold. The cycle home was painful.

Big thanks to a UCD lad for a lend of his top yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Think you are setting the bar too high jackyback.

Mostly this thread is about getting the bus because it looks a bit overcast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I wimped out of rollers today. I think that's a whole new level of wimpage…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Seriously keep an eye on adverts.ie, you can get a mountain bike with everything working on it and big fat knobbly tyres for €30, €20 if you have a bit of knowledge and fix the brakes/derailleur etc yourself. Its great for mornings like this especially if you're phobic about black ice like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Thargor wrote: »
    Seriously keep an eye on adverts.ie, you can get a mountain bike with everything working on it and big fat knobbly tyres for €30, €20 if you have a bit of knowledge and fix the brakes/derailleur etc yourself. Its great for mornings like this especially if you're phobic about black ice like me.

I'd prefer the orthopaedic surgery thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A bike for €30?

The reason so many bikes are stolen is because there is a market for un-believably cheap bikes...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324

(I'm not saying they are stolen, but if something is too good to be true....)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    A bike for €30?

The reason so many bikes are stolen is because there is a market for un-believably cheap bikes...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324

(I'm not saying they are stolen, but if something is too good to be true....)

MOD VOICE: Just to say, unless its a BSO, 30euro is probably too cheap (may not be if your desperate to get rid of it), as 07Lapierre says, I am not saying it's nicked, but I wouldn't be confident that it wasn't, either way, it's off topic for this thread so we'll leave it there for the is it/isn't it stolen.

Back to the whose a wimp discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Of course its a BSO Im talking about, and probably one as old as you or me, Im not saying keep an eye on adverts for a 2015 Trek or Specialized downhill whatever going for the price of a junkies next fix. Im just saying its handy to have something with fat tyres there for days like yesterday where you dont feel safe on the roadbike and they can be got really cheap on Adverts, people selling them from their sheds to clear space not meeting in a carpark either. You make nearly the same time on the BSO with the way traffic in Ireland goes to sh1t in adverse weather anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wimped out this morning and took the car to work :o - it was bucketing down at 6.30am when I got up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Wimped out this morning and took the car to work :o - it was bucketing down at 6.30am when I got up.
    I can't believe this. Somewhere a unicorn has died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Jaysus just been real bad if wishbone wimped out.

Advertisement