Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

RainyDay wrote: »
    Freudian slip, or clever pun?

Oh both...or none..err...!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    Some of you are in the wrong thread. :confused::D...
    We'll have to find that "I'm no wimp, I'm simply the best" thread or whatever it was called!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

We'll have to find that "I'm no wimp, I'm simply the best" thread or whatever it was called!

Here ya go! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87039483

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

crosstownk wrote: »
    Instead, I stood at the side of a rugby pitch in lashing rain watching my 8 year old get covered in mud - it looked like great fun and I secretly wanted to participate........ :eek:

Same: rugby training Sunday morning and my young lad was covered head to toe in mud. The rain was so heavy that by the time he got to the car he was spotless. Done 60k in the rain on Saturday but on Sunday the rain was horizontal on Sunday so put the feet up for the rest of the day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Take your disc wheels off.
    Storm Abigail about to touch down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

My new disc wheels...
    jet-engine-turbine-blades-airplane-toned-blue-33346911.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Could do with one of these for the trip home tonight:

article-2035425-0DC4394300000578-866_634x534.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Been hit and miss cycling for the last month due to the weather and my own wimpyness. Dropped the bike in for a service and some repairs. But after this bus journey I can't wait to get back on my bike. A woman screaming down the phone to some poor divil. Vulgar pig with a south Dublin accent. Come back bike all is forgiven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Took the hybrid because I figured the mudguards and heavier weight would be better for the cross winds and rain, and was delighted with my choice.

This morning, wet and windy.

This evening it was just bitterly cold and not very enjoyable.

Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Wimped out this morning and got the bus.
    Imagine my shame when the bus passed a guy on a Unicycle going full bore into the wind on the Clontarf cycleway! He was bent practically 90 degrees at the waist into the wind and swaying a bit dodgily. Some cojones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wimped out this morning and got the bus.
    Imagine my shame when the bus passed a guy on a Unicycle going full bore into the wind on the Clontarf cycleway! He was bent practically 90 degrees at the waist into the wind and swaying a bit dodgily. Some cojones.

He should have got the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

godtabh wrote: »
    He should have got the bus!

He probably should! I often see him going that way but it looked like very tough going to me yesterday, a bit crazy actually.
    You'd have to admire his unicyclenicity though to be fair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ton up today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

In fairness, Storm Clodagh is acting the maggot. :mad:

I was patting myself on the back for staying upright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ton up today :)

Same here..... about 100 mile per hour with a tail wind on the Clontarf Road this evening :D

Goddamn it was a welcome change to have a tail wind there, anyone else catch it this evening?.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

anyone else catch it this evening?.

No. I'd to battle a nasty headwind from Swords to Terenure after a busy (and shíte) day at work. I'd the option of taking one of the spare cars rather than cycle but I couldn't deal with the shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Cycled in to work today. 15Km one way in crap windy weather.

Only 3 hours left before I've to do it again! :)

.............it's just the people who, like this morning when you arrive at work, take great satisfaction in asking you, replete with wide grin,

"Did you get drenched?"

Totes hilare etc. On the floor with mirth......
    Ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes, Planet X, but you'll be laughing when they are stuck in the traffic on the way home this evening while you will get home in roughly the same time as always.

Correct. Every day. That's "The Bitterest Pill" they cannot swallow or cope with :D

On the subject of getting wet, got in the door half an hour ago, left leg wet! A tad annoyed. I wear Endura Hardshell Stealth Jacket, Endura waterproof trousers and Endura waterproof Lobster gloves. It's all 100% waterproof.
    Trouser leg calf zip left open. Tut tut. My RAB merino longjohns got soiled!
    Also......to remember, keep sleeve cuff OVER glove cuff. Running into gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Planet X wrote: »
    .............it's just the people who, like this morning when you arrive at work, take great satisfaction in asking you, replete with wide grin,

"Did you get drenched?"

Totes hilare etc. On the floor with mirth......
    Ignore list.

My response is always the same:

Broad smile followed by "yeah it is refreshing cycling in the rain especially this time of the year. With cycling clothes it really doesn't matter when you get wet and you are changing it all anyway. I far prefer cycling in the rain then squeezing into a hot and humid luas to come in or sitting in traffic which has come to a standstill in the rain."

Nice part is that it is entirely true as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fian wrote: »
    My response is always the same:

Broad smile followed by "yeah it is refreshing cycling in the rain especially this time of the year. With cycling clothes it really doesn't matter when you get wet and you are changing it all anyway. I far prefer cycling in the rain then squeezing into a hot and humid luas to come in or sitting in traffic which has come to a standstill in the rain."
    That smacks of protesting too much.

I tend to go with "yes". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Lumen wrote: »
    '........

That's gas. I tend to go with "No" and watch for puzzled looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That's gas. I tend to go with "No" and watch for puzzled looks.

Yeah - I'm the same. I give them a guided tour of my water-proof and breathable kit, from from overshoes, trousers, jacket and gloves, then the gasps of amazement as I reveal my dry clothes underneath. Then ask them how long it took to drive in. Usually shuts them up. :pac:

The great thing about cycling is consistency - barring a major technical / puncture, my route to work is about 35 minutes - rain, hail, summer, winter, schools on, schools off. Try that in a car.

Nobody cares how I get to work or if I get wet. :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nobody cares how I get to work or if I get wet. :(

So how did you get to work?

Did you get wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I didn't get wet on my way to work. My kitchen is thankfully inside my house, and the whole thing is roofed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Lumen wrote: »
    That smacks of protesting too much.

No, it is sincere, but getting back into damp cycling gear shortly will be less pleasant in fairness. Temporarily moved into a different office and this one has no rad to dry damp clothes on - there is heating but it comes through vents in the walls.

Beasty wrote: »
    So how did you get to work?

Did you get wet?
    Off today but got plenty of wetness on the McNSCC Thursday group ride.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    ...The great thing about cycling is consistency - barring a major technical / puncture, my route to work is about 35 minutes - rain, hail, summer, winter, schools on, schools off. Try that in a car.
    Approx 16k commute?

Advertisement