Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Approx 16k commute?

Nearly - 14k door to door. Can be longer in the summer with a few diversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Nearly - 14k door to door. Can be longer in the summer with a few diversions.
    The reason I asked is that my commute takes 35 mins also (16.5k) :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Red Alert from Met Éireann for rain and wind from tonight and tomo.
    Red Alert......to battle stations. All hands!!
    :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Planet X wrote: »
    Red Alert from Met Éireann for rain and wind from tonight and tomo.
    Red Alert......to battle stations. All hands!!
    :)

Hooray, all headwind, all of the time

The reason I asked is that my commute takes 35 mins also (16.5k) :)

Yeah oddly I had a 17km commute in a previous job that took me on rural / less busy roads and I made a better average. Going through Dublin city centre plays havoc with this. I've pushed it to half and hour door to door with a fair wind and good traffic light sequence :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mine is only 8 km and it can take anything between 25-30 mins! I'm doing something wrong. I've a lot of lights though, plenty of traffic as I'm Santry to IFSC, my bike is a heavy enough yoke when loaded, and I just don't have the legs probably. Rarely ever leave the small ring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Having wimped out all week, today was the chosen day for the cross-city cycle, becaue it was sunny this morning and there might be a little tailwind on the way home... The office roof in Citywest is creaking with the gusts at the moment - it should be a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    it should be a blast.

Literally more than figuratively.

Be careful out there. I am a 100KG bloke and nearly got blown over crossing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I walk, one foot in front of the other, probably will this evening too, mac-in-a-sac top and bottoms and a pair of old asics. 7k from door to door, your wheels are an indulgence and a luxury. You think dodging cars is hard try the hazards of wide a**e women walking three abreast when you feel like vaulting over their shoulders.

h-u-m-o-u-r

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only reason I haven't wimped out of the club spin tomorrow morning is I am expecting it to be called off! "I would've but..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

MugMugs wrote: »
    Be careful out there. I am a 100KG bloke and nearly got blown over crossing the road.

Lil' old 66kg me did have a blast, I gauged it right so I had a nearly perfect tailwind from Citywest to Sutton - 25km in 48 min - not bad I think for city centre dashing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well that was a bit of Craig, tail, cross and head wind all within a km.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well that was a bit of Craig, tail, cross and head wind all within a km.
    You did 2 laps of Sundrive on this weather:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Too gusty for me this morning - i went out the front door in my cycling gear and helmet, thought better of it, dropped the helmet back in on hall table and caught the Luas in my cyclingh gear.

It appears wind is likely to pick up even further this evening so take care any who are braving it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Planning to go out today but wimped out, too windy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Made it in okay this morning, the biggest gust I had to deal with was when crossing the Liffey at the Sam Beckett bridge. Hopefully this eases before my cycle home!

Also, arrived in the shed to find I had a puncture, I guess I should be glad it didn't happen en route or on my last journey! Still a pain in the ass. The GP4000s hasn't been as good to me as the last set... seem to have more punctures than expected with it on the front.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wind wanted to kill today, was grand though when i took it slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I got blown by strong a side on gust into the middle of the road today, have never had it happen as badly as that before. If there was any kind of vehicle there when it happened I would have been screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I wimped out this morning. I had fully intended on it, but when I woke up and saw the force of the wind I had my doubts. When I heard that it was only due to get worse by late afternoon (when I'd be making my return journey home), I put on regular clothes and got the bus.

Seeing cyclists battling along Pearse Street, I do not regret my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I wimped out this morning. I had fully intended on it, but when I woke up and saw the force of the wind I had my doubts. When I heard that it was only due to get worse by late afternoon (when I'd be making my return journey home), I put on regular clothes and got the bus.

Seeing cyclists battling along Pearse Street, I do not regret my decision.

• Advertisement

Woke up this morning to heavy rain and winds - so was opting to get the train. Then, as I was getting ready, the weather cleared so got the cycling gear on. No major issues, other than a fool aggressively following me in the bus lane in a Nissan Quasqai and doing a close pass on the bridge over the M50 at Castleknock where the cross wind was probably the worst - talking about bad timing. Gave him a dirty look as I passed and was tempted to have words.

Wind was largely at my back going through the phoenix park - some side wind gusts but nothing major. Hopefully it'll calm down for home time - that head wind will be a beatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

As the car swayed from side-to-side while sitting at traffic lights this morning, I was happy with my decision to take the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I aborted 2k into the ride and returned for the car. Severe gusts out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

If WA wimped out, no one should feel guilty for doing so. Its official.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I just left for work on foot to the bus stop. Nearly beig blown off my feet so made the right decision. Carrying a spare set of wheels so I can be near the bike...

...or I old a friend he could have them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

New personal worst for my commute this morning - 01:06:22 - 18.8kph average into a strong wind. I reckon I was only doing 16 or 17kph along the coast at Clontarf. Very strong steady headwind almost all the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was walking with the kids from school today, one holding my hand, the other asleep in the Chariot stroller. A gust half-turned the Chariot over, and I was left trying to right it, while still holding the other child's hand for fear she'd be blown into traffic.

Unbelievable that it could turn this over.

307085.jpg

The child in the stroller slept soundly through the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I was almost as slow cycling into work as last Tuesday. Both days took me over an hour to do 25km. At times I struggled to keep 16kmph with the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I cycled over the M50 at Sandyford this morning, and it was like a god (if I believed in them) put a hand on my back and hooshed me on my way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Will it be safe to cycle tomorrow? Looks like temperatures will be around zero all day.

Advertisement