Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RainyDay wrote: »
    Will it be safe to cycle tomorrow? Looks like temperatures will be around zero all day.
    Zero is OK once it's dry. It's dampish at the moment here in NCD so I'll hold off making any decision until the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

0 degrees here in dublin 15 at the mo. They're giving showers of sleet / snow overnightso will wait until the morning to make a decision. Any precipitation on those freezing roads could make for a tricky cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Very cold but the roads were ok this morning in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭ted1

-2 on the N11 , roads between killing and Stephens green were cold but didn't ice free. ( always avoid metal man holes etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Signing in. Spent all of Saturday digging out half my garden to stick in a gravel walkway and now the back of everything hurts. I had planned to cycle today, but then looking at the forecast and struggling into bed last night and I knew I didn't have it in me to deal with cold and ice this morning on top of the hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I wimped - a visible layer of ice on the car, and plenty of unmelted ice on bins all the way through my commute. All the stories of blokes falling last week scared me off - too easy to break a collarbone or similar in a fall.

Ok in Dublin - a few frozen puddles to contend with, but looks like it remained dry overnight - would have been lethal otherwise. I left the house in a balmy -4C - very enjoyable commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

I wimped out as well. I gather I've a reasonably similar commute to Pinch Flat from posts on here in the past, so might have been ok, but after coming off on some black ice a few weeks ago, and still being a bit sore from a subsequent unrelated spill, I said I'd err on the side of caution today and take the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Some ice on my route, especially the beginning before I arrived at the busier roads. Nothing dramatic and once I had the main route it was fine, if crisp.

I don't leave until close to nine so the roads have thawed somewhat by then. Still went slowly and had lots of commuters overtaking me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Reporting for duty, with three words - Snow?! Screw that!!

• Advertisement

Looked out my window to see snow.....currently assessing situation......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am looking forward to it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's gonna be a thick glove morning!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Expecting the when did you fall off your bike last to fill up. Its a sleety mess on main roads

I had every intention of wimping it, mainly on the advice of Mrs pinch flat. I had dressed into my civvies and resigned myself to a train commute.

Changed my mind about 8.15 when I saw the roads had improved a bit - still plenty of sleet about and the Phoenix park cycle lane was a bit dodgy. But made it in grand.

My only regret was that I didn't wear my sidi winter boots as my feet got cold and wet. Ah well.

I wimped out, snow was falling thickly this morning.

Should have wimped out yesterday as well, I got doored on my way home - traffic backed up in Ranelagh and a passenger decided she would get out and walk, opened her passenger door into the cycle lane right in front of me.

Fortunately there was a pretty slow cyclist ahead of me and no room to pass her so I was travelling at a slower pace than normal when it happened. Bruised and sore but nothing broken on the bike or myself. My right shoulder caught the edge of the door (which was not fully open) rather than my face.

Worst of all it was a little old lady driving the car and another who opened the passenger door, so I couldn't even vent my annoyance at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I'm not really a wimp but I didn't cycle in today as I am bravely engaged in a life or death struggle with manflu.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm not really a wimp but I didn't cycle in today as I am bravely engaged in a life or death struggle with manflu.

I am just getting over that illness myself. Horrible illness it is. Get well soon
    Plenty of rest and fluids needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Fian wrote: »
    I wimped out, snow was falling thickly this morning.

Should have wimped out yesterday as well, I got doored on my way home - traffic backed up in Ranelagh and a passenger decided she would get out and walk, opened her passenger door into the cycle lane right in front of me.

Fortunately there was a pretty slow cyclist ahead of me and no room to pass her so I was travelling at a slower pace than normal when it happened. Bruised and sore but nothing broken on the bike or myself. My right shoulder caught the edge of the door (which was not fully open) rather than my face.

Worst of all it was a little old lady driving the car and another who opened the passenger door, so I couldn't even vent my annoyance at them.
    I got soaked going home last night, but didn't get doored fortunately. No damage or injury I hope? You're not going to be screaming at the old lady, but if they caused damage or injury, they should be paying for it.

I'm very wimpy about ice, but the snow didn't seem to be sticking at all, so I braved it out this morning. Lots of slush around in Rathfarnham / Ballinteer, particularly at the edges of the roads, didn't feel slippy at all really. There were lots of the usual fools around frustrated about traffic jams deciding to push through to block junctions and yellow boxes, and then wonder why the traffic jams.

RainyDay wrote: »
    I got soaked going home last night, but didn't get doored fortunately. No damage or injury I hope? You're not going to be screaming at the old lady, but if they caused damage or injury, they should be paying for it.

Bruised, but unbroken. I did take her insurance details mainly to ensure that she thinks twice/looks the next time. Nothing that would warrant a claim and no damage to the rothar either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I was working out of the office yesterday and managed to get done and home for 3pm. Had the full intention of going out if I got home at a decent hour but completely wimped out as I just didn't fancy it in the rain. Did a bit extra in this morning as penance though. :)

I was working out of the office yesterday and managed to get done and home for 3pm. Had the full intention of going out if I got home at a decent hour but completely wimped out as I just didn't fancy it in the rain. Did a bit extra in this morning as penance though. :)

Well we can collectively be pleased that no posts since last march until now.

Though if I were to take the view that not going out on a leisure cycle because I didn't fancy it at the time I would probably have posted frequently over that period. For me this thread is more about taking alternative forms of transport (car/luas/bus) rather than cycling, not so much about "meh I won't bother heading off today, don't really fancy it" in the context of a weekend/leisure spin.

Maybe I have had the wrong end of the stick, but I will stick to my interpretation because otherwise I will spam the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

You're probably not wrong but I just felt a bit wimpy about my decision yesterday and thought of this thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Fian wrote: »
    Well we can collectively be pleased that no posts since last march until now.

Though if I were to take the view that not going out on a leisure cycle because I didn't fancy it at the time I would probably have posted frequently over that period. For me this thread is more about taking alternative forms of transport (car/luas/bus) rather than cycling, not so much about "meh I won't bother heading off today, don't really fancy it" in the context of a weekend/leisure spin.

Maybe I have had the wrong end of the stick, but I will stick to my interpretation because otherwise I will spam the thread!

Dan didn't go out because it was raining, therefore he was being wimpish. He signed in to the right place.
    People that don't know how to use this thread are the ones who sign in to tell us they've just cycled 200km in a snowstorm.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Dan didn't go out because it was raining, therefore he was being wimpish. He signed in to the right place.
    People that don't do know how to use this thread are the ones who sign in to tell us they've just cycled 200km in a snowstorm.

FYP.

all depends on what they are using the thread for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

The wind a rain against the bedroom window this morning sounded worse than it actually was on the bike.

Storm Babs here we come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like a lovely day for a spin out there, but i just managed to smash a glass which was in my hand, and the bastard won't stop bleeding now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and the bastard won't stop bleeding now.
    You're a magic bastard - sort it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

De Bhál wrote: »
    People that don't know how to use this thread are the ones who sign in to tell us they've just cycled 200km in a snowstorm.

This is what they may be looking for.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057062273&page=25

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Looked at the wind and rain at 0700 and wimped out, looking out at weather now very sorry I did :(

Advertisement