Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Hungrycol wrote: »
    The wind a rain against the bedroom window this morning sounded worse than it actually was on the bike.

Storm Babs here we come.

It must have put a lot of people off.

number 97 for me on the cycle counter this morning.

I can be as high as 270 on a good day..

Lovely out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Was very tempted to take the car this morning, but knowing that i definitely have to drive in tomorrow made me determined to cycle today regardless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Cycled today - not bad at all. Yesterday was far worse, arrived into work with two small swimming pools in my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aysedasi

Sign me up today.
    Checked AA roadwatch who said the roads were icy around Leixlip and Celbridge. They were bang on considering how treacherous it was just walking to the bus stop.
    Probably fine on the main roads but I mightn't have made it that far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Skipped the bike and went for a 10k slide run to work instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got up this morning, looked out, and it was quite frosty, so i stayed in bed. lifted more quickly than i expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

got up this morning, looked out, and it was quite frosty, so i stayed in bed. lifted more quickly than i expected.
    It looked worse than it was. I left work around 6.30am and, although there were frosted windscreens and grass, the roads were fine on my route in NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Any feedback on what it is like out there this evening? Hard to tell out the window here, See from news that a roof was lifted off a building on pembroke street and blown onto matt the threshers bar, that is near my office and on my route home. Also see a photo of a car with a tree blown onto it.

Is it safe to cycle home? Gusts of 110 km/h forecast - is that in Dublin? If so the answer is clear and I will leave the bike in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

Wind warning includes Dublin...
    http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

dreamerb wrote: »
    Wind warning includes Dublin...
    http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

Thanks.

Yellow warning not orange. What to do, what to do.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fian wrote: »
    Any feedback on what it is like out there this evening? Hard to tell out the window here, See from news that a roof was lifted off a building on pembroke street and blown onto matt the threshers bar, that is near my office and on my route home. Also see a photo of a car with a tree blown onto it.

Is it safe to cycle home? Gusts of 110 km/h forecast - is that in Dublin? If so the answer is clear and I will leave the bike in here.

Whats your route home?.. The Clontarf cycle path was impassable this afternoon (and still is around 17:00).

The wind is gusting really bad right out along the coast to Portmarnock, and with the rain and dark evening visibility for all road users is crap.

I'd advise caution, esp between buildings and high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Fian wrote: »

Just came from bluebell to nutgrove. Headwind/crosswinds all the way. Couple of dodgy moments on the way and I'd say as bad as any wind we've had this winter

17kph average home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

I think that was the toughest outbound commute yet! Lashing rain and crazy headwind the whole way from Ballsbridge to Shankill! Raised the gearing on the single speed before Christmas, great most of the time but it's been hard work going home over the last week! On a really good day I'll average 30km/hr ... this evening it was 18.3! Still better than sitting in a car though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ignorance is bliss! Never thought to even look at thy weather, just went home. ****ty down the n11, but not the worst this year or even exceptionally bad. Just home now, May have been worse earlier on, and also not on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

17kph average home

I'd a similar average on my way home from Swords to Terenure. The wind was mental from Airside to Santry but after that it was manageable.

I was well aware of the weather forecast but as I've stuff on tomorrow that means I can't cycle, I just had to take the bike today despite the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm sooo glad the wind was at my back on the way home this evening! Kudos to anyone who had to cycle into that wind!

Set a few PR's along the way and I was really enjoying the spin home until I got a puncture! Changing a tube on a dark wet and windy evening is pants! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

It certainly was a bit of a slog. 23km D1 to Bray on a singlespeed 46x16. Looked down at one stage and I was doing less than 20 on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Well this eveing wasn't fun, second of three soakings today... As if cycling in a storm wasn't enough, my crank arm fell off on the retro steed whilst in full pelt in the middle of heavy traffic, i nearly went flying...I haven't looked at it in daylight yet but i think its sheared clean off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Plastik wrote: »
    It certainly was a bit of a slog. 23km D1 to Bray on a singlespeed 46x16. Looked down at one stage and I was doing less than 20 on the flat.

Was that you that I had a brief chat with last week on the cycle path in Cabinteely?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Took the day off due to tiredness and being a bit out of sorts, regretted it looking out at the tail wind I would have had the whole way in. Regretted it less this evening but I will be back out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Had to do a lot of forwarding and back on the cargo bike today. Nearly three hours on the road in total; multiple soakings. The wind made for engrossing journeys too.

Damn lamestream media with their Fake news.

Was a bitchy headwind but nothing scary tbh and I can remember cycling home into worse headwinds without it occurring to me to be nervous.

did not see any signs of a roof on Matt the Threshers but i assume it and the tree are true, just not representative of the weather overall.

Tailwind in tomorrow again i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Coming back home yesterday N>S direction, some headwind and rain, but nothing newsworthy :P

Note 1: fully loaded panniers on the front can tame the fiercest crosswind! Bike was very stable even in occasional side gusts.

Note 2: flappy rain jacket looks stooopid, but is copes much better with sweat/temp control than a tight one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I wimped out yesterday, just looked too windy and bins blown over convinced me i was right !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I bikeless cycled to work yesterday. Not sure if that counts as wimping out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

RobFowl wrote: »
    I wimped out yesterday, just looked too windy and bins blown over convinced me i was right !

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I wimped out today thinking it would be bad going home. Glad i did as its pouring down outside. After taking all of January off the bike and only doing 110 km this week, sure what harm is another few days off going to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wimped out this morning. will try to get out this afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Icy this am, didnt stop swords cc who were spotted tippy toeing along just after 0900 ;)

Went out at 1100 and main roads ok. Went to Drogheda then along coast to baltray and Clogherhead (scenery just superb and lots of interestinh houses and buildings along the way). Pulled a Hughy
    And back the same way to drogheda then mornington Betty's town and laytown after a wee coffee stop in Relish Mmmmmm and then home. 75k + and stayed upright. Ave temp was 1 and went from -2 to 4 but even still icy in shaded spots.
    Happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    Icy this am, didnt stop swords cc who were spotted tippy toeing along just after 0900 ;)....
    ....and I thought we were tipping along nicely given the conditions! ;)

Advertisement