Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw a bunch in swords CC livery earlier, on the old N2 i think, or not far from there. the car thermometer was reading 0 or 0.5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i saw a bunch in swords CC livery earlier, on the old N2 i think, or not far from there. the car thermometer was reading 0 or 0.5C.
    That was the racing/vets group. (Just thinking the would have gone by RobFowl's also so it was possibly that group he spotted.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Be no harm to get your bus fare ready for tomo.

Incoming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

From our friends in the weather forum...
    I found this nice /ultra hi res model on Meteociel.

The AROME, some nice graphics.

Picture at 7am IrishTime....Wrap arround occlusion over north Leinster...

aromehd-54-19-0.png?22-16

Wind gusts 100-120kph in Greater Dublin area...

aromehd-11-19-0.png?22-16

Commutes tomorrow should be interesting...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like if you're heading from west dublin inbound, you'll be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hmm need something done to the bike and was hoping it would be done tomorrow which means bringing it in to work. Not sure how wise that is at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm travelling from west Dublin into the city - might hook up the garmin for some KOMs that'll be going cheap :pac:

Coming home will be a hoor:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'm travelling from west Dublin into the city - might hook up the garmin for some KOMs that'll be going cheap :pac:

Coming home will be a hoor:eek:

I'm the opposite. Heading into that wind form a coastal location and by the time I am coming home from work it will have died down:(. Ah well as they say HTFU:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

billyhead wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. Heading into that wind form a coastal location and by the time I am coming home from work it will have died down:(. Ah well as they say HTFU:D
    I'm wondering what direction JW will bring us on the McNSCC touring ride tomorrow. It should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

My plan to cycle in to work is now on hold while I figure out how to fix the bedroom window that a serious gust of wind nearly tore off the frame. It won't close now as the sliding mechanism is all buckled from being opened beyond where it technically should have been.

Bummer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I happily left my bike at home yesterday and today. Its really bad out there and honestly if i had no car i would get a bus or walk rather than cycle.

It would be quite foolish to cycle today imo.

Tuesday as i came down a hill the wind actually stopped me pedaling. I ended up walking with the bike the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is mise anseo...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I was one of the brave fools this morning, one of very very few i might add. Regretted it halfway through, will be leaving the bike at work if it's still like that later!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Sign me up. You forget how much you hate the bus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I woke up with a thumping headache, awful throat and just general grogginess. Going to be working from home where I'd get more done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I drove in today too, just did not fancy cycling down the N81 into a headwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

My plan to cycle in to work is now on hold while I figure out how to fix the bedroom window that a serious gust of wind nearly tore off the frame. It won't close now as the sliding mechanism is all buckled from being opened beyond where it technically should have been.

Bummer!

Happened me last year. To get the window shut I had to break off the sliding mechanism altogether. It was busted so would have needed replacing anyway. I can give the number of the guy I got to replace it then if you want. I found my kitchen window wide open this morning but no sliding bar on that to get broken thankfully.

I was happy to be off today so not technically wimping out. But even though I would have been going west to east I think I would have been on the bus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Trees down coming through Shankhill, and the cycle track along the N11 looked like a tree surgeon got a poorly maintained mulcher and drove along it shortly before I arrived. No idea how I did not get a puncture.

Roads were quiet in general, alot less ccylists, less buses (possibly due to the tree felling) and less cars in general.

Not fully decided if it was a smart move or not. Commuting time increased 25% with the head wind/crosswind. It will probably have turned around by the time I head home.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

Anseo :rolleyes:

Dangerous gusts out there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

CramCycle wrote: »

Roads were quiet in general, alot less ccylists, less buses (possibly due to the tree felling) and less cars in general.

Schools are off too???

Don't think I've been in work this early for years-
    Had an average of 37.7 when I got to Heuston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Am about to head out and brave the elements my commute is only 6k so hopefully it won't be that bad. It doesn't seem to be as crazy out now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Idleater wrote: »
    Schools are off too???
    The roads were not that quiet on Mon - Wed, this said Thursday and Friday are generally quieter, so it could be a cumulative affect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Powered in via the rock road, a few dangerous cross winds at points but more of a headwind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Thankfully my cycle this morning was made up 90% of tailwinds or headwinds thanks to some forward planning of my route, the small portion where I got stuck with crosswinds was hairy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I've been wimping out since Christmas due to a back injury. Tried a couple of weeks ago, managed 8km and felt every. turn. of. the. pedals. So that wasn't good.

Hoping to try again sometime in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

I turned the cyclist counter 115 at Booterstown this morning about 9am. Would usually be past 400 at that time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Saw 2 cyclists braving it this morning in my 40 minute drive in. There were only 9 pedestrians mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

CramCycle wrote: »
    Trees down coming through Shankhill, and the cycle track along the N11 looked like a tree surgeon got a poorly maintained mulcher and drove along it shortly before I arrived. No idea how I did not get a puncture.

Oh joy! I'll be out and about in Shankill at some point during the day, and, yes, I'm taking the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yep, totally wimped out :( The wind was very bad out my way when I was walking the dog and didn't want to chance being blown under a bus :eek: Far far less cyclists on the quays this morning although a few brave soldiers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ran in (with the bag :( ) instead

Advertisement