Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I decided that discretion was the better part of valour this morning listening to the wind before i even got out of bed.

It is my first day back in work after a week in Gran Canaria. I want to go back!

No cycling in Gran Canaria, my wife and i were there to get a break from the kids and a bit of time together, so disappearing off on a bike was not on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Didn't risk the bakfiets today with the kids. Good call, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Fian wrote: »
    I decided that discretion was the better part of valour this morning listening to the wind before i even got out of bed.

Never, ever, EVER make a call on the weather from your bed. Ever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭py

looks like if you're heading from west dublin inbound, you'll be laughing.

Coming in from the west was good fun. :)
    Idleater wrote: »
    Schools are off too???

Mid term for most schools for the whole week, some are just off today/tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Woke early this morning and it was still pretty scary out there. I got my civvies on for the train to work, then contemplated getting into the cycling gear when I heard there were delays on the train. In the end it all worked out. It was too wild to cycle.

Took a Dublin bike from east to west along the quays this morning - jaysus those yokes are tanks when you're cycling into a Doris!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Woke early this morning and it was still pretty scary out there. I got my civvies on for the train to work, then contemplated getting into the cycling gear when I heard there were delays on the train. In the end it all worked out. It was too wild to cycle.

Took a Dublin bike from east to west along the quays this morning - jaysus those yokes are tanks when you're cycling into a Doris!

Had the same reaction myself to the weather noise early on (think I'd also be coming from broadly the same area as you), but it subsided a bit by the time I was looking at leaving, and I couldn't resist the prospect of a good tailwind through the Phoenix Park and along the quays! Couple of slightly hairy moments with crosswinds (were I not a heavy bastard they could have been worse :D), but overall far from the worst I've gotten caught in.

What's it like for cycling right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

cython wrote: »
    Had the same reaction myself to the weather noise early on (think I'd also be coming from broadly the same area as you), but it subsided a bit by the time I was looking at leaving, and I couldn't resist the prospect of a good tailwind through the Phoenix Park and along the quays! Couple of slightly hairy moments with crosswinds (were I not a heavy bastard they could have been worse :D), but overall far from the worst I've gotten caught in.

Damn it! Sounds like your route is similar to mine, knew I was going to regret wimping out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I live opposite a school. They have a flag pole with the tricolour proudly displayed.

I have a rule..if i look out the window and the flag is ripped to shreds, i take the car! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

tomasrojo wrote: »
    What's it like for cycling right now?

This morning, when I was going to take the car, Dublin Airport was reporting 43kt (Strong Gale).
    When I finally set out on the bike (around 10:40), Dublin Airport was reporting 30kt (Near Gale)
    Now Dublin Airport is reporting 25kt (Strong).

So, just another blustery day now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

I went out looking for my bin this morning about 7 oclock and someone out on a spin came tearing past me with a hefty tail wind. Cant imagine it would have been fun going the opposite wau

(found my bin about an hour later 250 meters down the road and around the corner)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Pretty hairy out there this morning but wasn't chucking it down either. Mightn't be too bad by 6 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Left Shankill for Ballsbridge at 5.40am this morning ... pretty hairy in places, to say the least! Really hard work too! Probably should have taken the car!
    However was rewarded with a really nice spin home between the showers and with a tailwind most of the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Idleater wrote: »
    Don't think I've been in work this early for years-
    Had an average of 37.7 when I got to Heuston.

Not laughing now :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

A couple of heart in the mouth moments this morning but arrived to work in one piece. Was grand coming home

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

Skiped my normal Sunday morning cycle due to the weather. Kudos to the one or two cyclists I saw out this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i passed a group of about ten or twelve in ballymadun earlier - including a tandem - in the most outrageous downpour. fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

i passed a group of about ten or twelve in ballymadun earlier - including a tandem - in the most outrageous downpour. fair play to them.

could have been swords think i saw somewhere something about a tandem with them on spins before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

First weekend in yonks bar illness that I haven't been out on bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

neris wrote: »
    could have been swords think i saw somewhere something about a tandem with them on spins before
    Yes, that was the McNally Swords CC Touring group.

Mercian Pro of this parish often pilots that tandem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Mercian Pro of this parish often pilots that tandem.

Not today though. Was hill walking near Glencree which was like hang-gliding without a hang-glider. Very impressed with those who did head out for a spin this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I have been on this list for sometime now, need a kick up the H**e to get my gear on an get out, Sunday morning lie ins are winning the battle at the moment, last sunday in particular, heard the wind and rain and pulled the duvet over my head for a few more zzzzz's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jayzus it was nippy this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Nasty cold wet morning to cycle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

That was rough, hands were in agony by the time I arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Only mistake I made was not putting on my gore tex winter boots. Feet were freezing, but rest of me nice and toasty.

I have a thin pair of gloves and a thicker pair of gloves in my satchel. I ended up wearing both pairs after half an hour with just the thicker pain on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Cold and wet this morning. Cold ears and toes.

Was lovely to see a dry sunny morning had arrived by the time I showered and got to my desk.
    Looking like the bad weather is settling in for my trip home too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I found yesterday morning much colder than this morning. Maybe i was more tired it being first day back into working week, and I was wearing a softshell yesterday instead of a rain jacket. This morning seemed much easier though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looked out the window at 6:30am this morning, a spattering of snow frozen to the car and on the ground, so i decided to get the bus. within 500m, no sign of any more snow.

Advertisement