Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

looked out the window at 6:30am this morning, a spattering of snow frozen to the car and on the ground, so i decided to get the bus. within 500m, no sign of any more snow.

Replace bus with train in that post, and you've summed up my morning too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Poked the head out this morning and saw some snow (Dublin 15). Decided to get geared up and as I was having the porridge it was melting away. Stuck on the under gloves and windstopper jersey, which kept me toasty. Cold morning alright, but ice free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't leave the house until 0805 and it was pretty clear by then that it was a nice day in Dublin. No ice at all, very fresh. I haven't had to wimp out at any stage yet this autumn and winter. Fingers crossed that that'll continue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I did 30 mins on turbo trainer, and by then all frost/ice had disappeared so set off for work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well, today it's a mixture of a head cold and the fact that my knees hate me after trying to dig out a tree stump yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Put my back out on Friday morning. Today was first day back in work since so had to take the car.

I feel dirty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well, today it's a mixture of a head cold
    this is just getting really tiring. i didn't go out today as i'd have just left a trail of phlegm on the roads behind me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

this is just getting really tiring. i didn't go out today as i'd have just left a trail of phlegm on the roads behind me.

I did go out yesterday and did leave a trail of phlegm behind me, seem to have had a snotty nose all damn year. I generally give it a miss if the throat is inflamed or chest is bad but usually go out otherwise. Mild head cold seems borderline chronic at this stage so I just ignore it.

this is a bit chesty, so i decided not to risk it. and i've woken a few times feeling like i've been gargling razroblades.

so i wonder what brave souls went out this morning. especially on the east coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

so i wonder what brave souls went out this morning. especially on the east coast.

Went for 30km cycle earlier. Got first puncture in a year as the heavens really opened. Not great but actually enjoyed the spin in the rain.
    Hot coffee and porridge after makes all better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It was grand when I left at half 8 for the club 9am spin. No rain for the first 50km, then the roads turned to rivers. It was aborted then - managed to get up to 80, but was hoping for longer with the 200 coming up.

i simply could not go out on the bike at the moment. i would expire after a couple of miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was out for a spin round howth and malahide earlier...its glorious

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It was grand when I left at half 8 for the club 9am spin. No rain for the first 50km, then the roads turned to rivers. It was aborted then - managed to get up to 80, but was hoping for longer with the 200 coming up.

I was the only one who turned up for the club spin. After an hour I knew why. Did 2.5 hours in solid downpour. Towards the end my shorts even started filling up with water and I had to release it every few minutes. Great craic altogether.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's rather blustery. Today is the day I drop the bike into the LBS and just bus it in. Helps I'm on a late and don't have the same traffic to deal with.

i haven't done over 100k on the bike in years, and was planning on getting one in this afternoon as i've nowt on. ain't going to go out now, the weather is not as good as i'd hoped.

who's planning on going for a spin on monday?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057796550

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Serious KOM hunting....

now the national hurricane centre in the US are modelling that it will still be hurricane strength when it hits ireland. i better tie the car down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Line up the SW segments!!

apparently hurricanes spin counter clockwise in the northern hemisphere - so if it's still a hurricane when it hits, the winds would be easterly, i guess?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Recalculate the attack then, easterly would take in some hard to get ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

apparently hurricanes spin counter clockwise in the northern hemisphere - so if it's still a hurricane when it hits, the winds would be easterly, i guess?

Assuming it passes to the south which seems to be the expectation, then that holds. If it goes to the north, however, they'd be westerly, and if it goes straight over, every which way at one point or another!

tempresult_jvb1.gif

worth noting that someone commented on the weather forum that the model used for that is often regarded as overstating things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

All northern hemisphere anticyclones (low pressure systems) spin anticlockwise. Hurricanes are just more intense anticyclones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

If you time it right you could hunt KOMs in more both directions!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gusts of nearly 70 km/h forecast for tomorrow, and getting on for 100 km/h on Monday. Think I'll give the commute a miss....

tomorrow? this is as much as met.ie are giving away:
    "moderate to fresh southerly winds."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

tomorrow? this is as much as met.ie are giving away: "moderate to fresh southerly winds."

Hit up the thread in the weather forum for more detailed information about it, lots of knowledgeable posters over there.

Advertisement