Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Just got an automated message from work to work from home if possible with the weather tomorrow, so pretty sure I won't be cycling anyway even if I do go into the office!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Should be good fun tomorrow.

dorothy-and-witch.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Will be working from home tomorrow, definitely not going to be risking the cycle home with predicted gusts up to 130km/h. The one in would be fine with the wind at my back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

added my name to the list today. have a head cold, didn't fancy 20km in the dark @2C.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

added my name to the list today. have a head cold, didn't fancy 20km in the dark @2C.

I walked in, (well halfway) having car shared to glasnevin. Was warmer / sweatier than when I normally cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Ice on my car as I wheeled the bike past it at 5.40am! But dry and not too windy so grand really!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Great fresh morning. Left the house with temperatures hovering above freezing, frost on cars and grass. Beautiful morning!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

28km commute to work at 5:30 at 0 degrees. I'm only after warming up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, the temperature usually wouldn't bother me too much. the head cold would have me snotting and coughing my way around dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

By far my favourite kind of weather to cycle in. Barely a sweat on me when I arrived into work this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

60km in the morning at -3C: home>Kippure>home>work.

Anyone feeling motivated? :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Alek wrote: »

What were the roads like?

roads? this is alek. where he goes, he doesn't need... roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Time to dig out the winter gloves, knuckles were unhappy this morning.

What were the roads like?

Small patches of black ice (shining in the moonlight, so I could actually see it!) starting from Featherbeds, but everything above Lough Bray was pure white frost. Had to be super careful on GP4000S... going down was slower than up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Regretting not being on the wimp list now - bloody freezing outside in Dublin 4 compared to this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Alek wrote: »

Still at that mad stuff!!

Havent seen you on the commute for a while. Still in the same job??

Still in the same job??

Yep, just leaving home later than I used to due to kids and school (8:20), and I'm usually 8:50 in the business park. Wasn't able to catch you since! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Might have done you the world of good.

Anytime in the past while I felt a bit of a cold coming on I may myself swim in sea rather than put it off. 10C water in January at 7am in your togs might not seem like a cure but I always improved.

Lots of the more experienced swimmers reported the same.

In saying than the calmness of the sea could be a long way from your commute...

ford2600 wrote: »
    Might have done you the world of good.

Anytime in the past while I felt a bit of a cold coming on I may myself swim in sea rather than put it off. 10C water in January at 7am in your togs might not seem like a cure but I always improved.

Lots of the more experienced swimmers reported the same.

In saying than the calmness of the sea could be a long way from your commute...

Went in for a dip in the sea off of Tramore last Thursday. Absolutely wonderful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Add me to the list - when I heard the rain beating off the Velux windows at 5am, the car seemed a more attractive proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Great morning to be on the bike. I must have passed 1,000 cars between Bray and D2.

me too - head cold, plus flooding in clontarf apparently, which i pass close enough to when cycling.

Plastik wrote: »
    Great morning to be on the bike. I must have passed 1,000 cars between Bray and D2.

Yeah it was lemming central from Dublin 15 this morning. Bus lanes packed with cars. Queue of cars pretty much from Castleknock to Park Gate Street. Still took me the same to commute - 30 minutes door to door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I managed to find a window between the rains - travelled in from 8:40 to 9 and barely damp, apart from my runners from puddle splashes. Certainly not soaked through. I had brought a spare pair of tights & shorts for return trip but i won't need them.

Traffic was terrible (in car lane), guess we haven't had much practice with rainy weather this year.

Heading to the canaries tomorrow so was basically pleased to have bad weather to say goodbye to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Total free for all going on my during commute. Multiple cars in the segregated bike lane through Blackrock, cars driving in bus lanes, passengers opening doors while in traffic, u-turns with no indicating.

In fairness water falling from the sky is terrifying. If only way there was some way to predict it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah it was lemming central from Dublin 15 this morning. Bus lanes packed with cars. Queue of cars pretty much from Castleknock to Park Gate Street. Still took me the same to commute - 30 minutes door to door :)

Did similar, chaos along the road by Castleknock College, and flooding under the M50 bridge over the Carpenterstown road. Traffic was backed up from the cross east of the school to the Carpenter. I breezed by most of it, and probably came across as a loon chuckling to myself and smiling going through said flooding, when cars were reduced to taking it in turns to take the centre of the road!

Bit of a hairy moment going through Kilmainham when a driver in the right hand lane for Inchicore decided to just pull left around a right turning car into the space I was planning on filtering through and my brakes were wetter than I had given credit for! Thankfully there was space to go further left or I'd have come a cropper.

Had been considering the train in, but seeing as I'd have been as wet from the walk to the office, the bike was a better alternative, all things considered. Once Luas cross city opens and i can get that to the door from Boombridge, that may change, mind, at least inbound!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was on the early shift so took the chance but went overboard in the clothing. Base layer, Sportful Fiandre and Endura Gridlock Jacket, Sealskinz beanie and my waterproof trousers over the cycling gear. Only my overshoes let me down.

Took my time, and hogged the lane more than normal, need to buy some new brake pads though.

Adding my almost 4 year old to the list, asked was she not getting her bike ready to go to pre-school and I got the "are you kidding me " look :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Left Shankill to cycle to Ballsbridge at 5.40am ... really shouldn't have but find it hard to resist an adventure!! Pretty dangerous in spots, particularly on the Rock Road which was a lake in places - spent a lot of time in the outside lane nervously looking over my shoulder!

Advertisement