Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

daragh_ wrote: »
    Total free for all going on my during commute. Multiple cars in the segregated bike lane through Blackrock, cars driving in bus lanes, passengers opening doors while in traffic, u-turns with no indicating.

In fairness water falling from the sky is terrifying. If only way there was some way to predict it happening.

I went through Blackrock at 7.45 and everything was still fairly normal. The cars were backed up well before Temple hill but the cycle lanes were free.

Bad floods outside Frescati and Willow Park but signaled right, moved out into the overtaking lane and back in after the flood. No problem from the cars at that stage. What time did you go through Blackrock at??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    What time did you go through Blackrock at??

About 8:35. It was complete gridlock - backed up all the way from Kill Avenue, down Stradbrook and as far as the Blackrock Clinic - where there was some traffic movement - but still several frustrated drivers driving up the bus/bike lane as far as the RDS

Cars were driving in the bike lane going down Temple Hill, trying to get in to the left hand filter and escape - but ended sitting there blocking the bike lane.

Further down, across from the Garda Station cars were mounting the bike lane curb, trying to escape the gridlock by going up Sweetman's Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Adding myself to the list courtesy of a nice bout of flu. Would have been mixing it up in tme mess that was Blackrock if I was healthy. Sometimes being ill can have benefits I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Lots of flooding at Foster Avenue this morning - the raised cycle path was under a couple of inches of water!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

In from Skerries to the city @7am this morn.
    Mild and very little wind so not too bad overall other than the obvious drenching...

Wore a pair of sailing gloves to keep the hands warm, perfect in that rain.
    Also attached an ass saver onto my rear mudguard to extend it, for my fellow commuters/club mates ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I started driving to work this morning, took me 30 mins to get from my front door to the bridge over the M50 (about 1km) then another 30 mins to go the next 3km before I hit gridlock again. 60 mins on the road & I got less than half way in to my commute. I turned the car around & drove home (took me less than 10 mins). Got the bike out & was at my desk within 45 mins. I reckon I'd have been sitting in traffic for 2.5-3 hours in total to get to work in the car. My commute is 10km door to door. I've reaffirmed my love of cycling this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I cycled in with my 6 year old. He did really well, miserable conditions. Every puddle was hit.

Traffic was at a standstill on the Howth road in Dublin. 99% of cars had one person in each of them. Most on phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

bbolger wrote: »
    Wore a pair of sailing gloves to keep the hands warm, perfect in that rain.

I did the same with a pair of neoprene sailing gloves. Toasty warm hands if slightly damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Wimp here, not a chance I was cycling in that this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Wimp here, not a chance I was cycling in that this morning.

I'm far too much of a wimp to squeeze into a hot damp luas, along with a crowd of grumpy, dripping and personal space invading strangers, to face the alternative.

Much less daunted by cycling in the rain than facing into that! Buses, especially with the traffic delays, would be even worse again.

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    I'm far too much of a wimp to squeeze into a hot damp luas, along with a crowd of grumpy, dripping and personal space invading strangers, to face the alternative.

Much less daunted by cycling in the rain than facing into that! Buses, especially with the traffic delays, would be even worse again.

I drove in. I don't regret driving in but I reeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyy wish I had my bike to get home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

Commuted on the bike this morning from Rush. Left at about 7am and although the roads were flooded I actually enjoyed it. The only problem now is the cold snap expected over the next few days might cause ice:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm a wimp: my saddle was soggy from being out in the rain all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I dropped the kids to crèche in the trailer (5k) and then did a 20k loop since I had my rain gear on (sans trailer)

Working from home so it's grand to be able to hop into the shower.

Not even the trailer warranted some space this morning as cars rushed to be bumper to bumper at the next set of lights. Had to use pedestrian crossings for one junction as no one let me out on the approach even though they were going nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Two showers this morning. One on the way to work and there other when I arrived. needed it as I was covered in crap splashed up from the road. Got soaked on the way home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

I got about 50k in today. Drivers seemed extra agressive or extra stupid and had some pretty close passes, including one skip driver who practically ran me into a parked car.

Maybe they're feeling the cold more than me

I thought it was pleasant this morning although the layers were definitely required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I would have gone out today but I had to go to the Mater and get an injection in my eye...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's bleedin' hardcore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I would have gone out today but I had to go to the Mater and get an injection in my eye...

Whilst on the turbo trainer.

(hope you're ok)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just one eye? Wimp! :P

I'm taking my wee one off the wimp list after adding her for not wanting to ride in the rain the other day..... which I wouldn't have let her do anyway just incase I'm deemed a crappy dad , asked if she wanted to go to preschool on her bike today I got that same "are you serious" look followed by "not raining". half way down the road today on the 1.5km me walking behind her she abruptly stops to put her boot into a small frozen bit of water in a dip in the foot path , take that stupid ice :D

Wimped out today. Cycled Monday and Tuesday but the current northerly wind is absolutely killing me on the way home, the cycle is absolutely no fun at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Wimped out today. Cycled Monday and Tuesday but the current northerly wind is absolutely killing me on the way home, the cycle is absolutely no fun at all.

It’s so calm out there today. This mornings commute was much more pleasant than the last couple of days. You are missing out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was a little bit breezy on the commute in.
    last night, the wind was WNW i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Nothing better than waking up and seeing a minus degree on the phone.

Not a breath of wind out today. Great cycling weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Absolutely Baltic on my way in from Shankill at 5.45am this morning ... coldest morning so far!

Very cold this morning but so satisfying passing queues of traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

looked like a Galibier advert this morning but finally toasty

Advertisement