Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Have been on the bus anyway this week due to a persistent cough & cold but hats off to anyone that cycled in today :) traffic seemed lighter though so probably lots of people wimping out of going to work by any means :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Roads were fine for cycling, granted i didnt leave til 8.30pm. traffic was diabolical though, lots of angry people in cars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Stuck the spiked ice tyres on. Slow and noisy but grand. Disc Brakes would be nice though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I should clarify, I was on the MTB this morning, so this may have made it a more comfy and non slippy ride than it would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

As mentioned upthread there is some ice on the bike paths around Blackrock. Big patch at the lights on Temple Hill coming down to Blackrock, and also along the bike path to Carysfort Ave. I kept out on the road and avoided a wipeout coming to a stop at the lights on Temple Hill. A few guys behind me were sliding around.

Rode my CX bike with big touring tyres. Slow going but a lot easier to handle on the slippy bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I came in through clonskeagh & Ranelagh. No ice to speak of once i was out of estates and onto main road.

Got a new (second hand) hybrid bike last week. Glad i had that with disc brakes rather than the rim braked road bike i was using the previous week (since my last hybrid bit the dust).

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Some wet snow in Dublin 15 and Phoenix park. Took it slow on 23mm slick tires. 20km/h average - slowest in few years, but arrived to work in one piece. That is most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Havn't been cycling since the temp dropped below 10 C. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Took the bike in the end. Cycle paths around carpenterstown were bad so on the road it was. Pinch flat junior ahead of me on his bike going to school.

Traffic was brutal going through the Phoenix park - elected to take centre lane, as the paths looked lethal. Only had one idiot overtake me to rejoin the queue to park gate street. Always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

accensi0n wrote: »
    Havn't been cycling since the temp dropped below 10 C. :)

That's a bit limiting in Ireland! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I was going to take the car but the roads looked ok this morning. It was cold but not as cold as some days before Christmas. The damp and wet was the worst due to slush being sprayed up by the tyres. I did take it slow around some corners but it didn't add much time. The roads where very quiet.

The cycle home yesterday is memorable and not something I'd like to repeat without ski goggles which I would have loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Side roads in Stepaside were icy this morning at 8. Cycle lanes from Sandyford up were very slushy last night so I had my mind made up then. Enjoyed my cycle home in the snow and did not find it too cold. Going downhill to Kilmacud would not be so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Back on the bike today oh joy of joys :) it was a gorgeous morning and last nights wind seemed to have all but disappeared!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wimped out again this morning.haven't been on the bike in over two weeks, between travel for work, and a stomach bug that lasted over a week, so i was thinking of heading out, but it was just miserable. and having seen the amount of muck on the roads, i wouldn't have looked forward to cleaning the bike after, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

wimped out again this morning.haven't been on the bike in over two weeks, between travel for work, and a stomach bug that lasted over a week, so i was thinking of heading out, but it was just miserable. and having seen the amount of muck on the roads, i wouldn't have looked forward to cleaning the bike after, either.
    You made the right choice. It was rotten out there today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was out NCD direction earlier in the car - not quite as far north as you were - and at one point had to drive around a 'puddle' which was eight inches deep on my side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was up and ready for 8am this morning, I had the cycling gear on before I looked outside and then I saw my phone, the two boys had wimped out but I was kinda thankful they did after opening the curtains.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got up early, looked outside, said feck that. Just over a bad cold so wouldn't have been worth it. That and I popped a spoke on a wheel yesterday and I didnt want to faff about swapping wheels around.

Even just cycling to the shops, roads in Santry were entirely covered in water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd also actually be lying if I denied the fact I thought my bike was too clean to cycle in that weather today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I'd also actually be lying if I denied the fact I thought my bike was too clean to cycle in that weather today.

That happens me too often! Usually due to 2 factors.
    1. I hate having a dirty bike.
    2. Living in an apartment is not ideal for washing a bike. It happens in the bath. After washing the bike the bath needs an even bigger scrub.

• Advertisement

I bought a new (second hand) hybrid last week for commuting to work. It was spotless, had not been used at all. After a week in and out of work in mucky weather I was sad today to notice mud encrusted on the frame. Too many puddles.

Still at least the cassette is still shiny, for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I wimped out yesterday, but I did do an FTP test on the trainer so at least that was fairly miserable.

Woke up for a glass of water.

Preempting the inevitable condition tomorrow morning. Though looking out my window perhaps tomorrow this should be renamed "the sane list" at least where I am. I can't see where the footpath starts and the road ends. continuing to fall steadily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No day for the bike in dublin anyway. Dublin 15 must have 150mm plus of snow.

Less than half that in d9.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

And that's a no from me unless it clears drastically by the evening. Thick coat of snow down Southside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Office is closed so even if I wanted to I’ve nowhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

nee wrote: »
    And that's a no from me unless it clears drastically by the evening. Thick coat of snow down Southside.

Plenty out chancing their arm(s) in Dublin 11 - I saw quite a few cyclists on my walk to work

snow.jpg

Wasn't putting the wee one up on a bike today, large portion of the ride is through estates with untreated roads that have a layer of hailstones that froze over then a layer of snow on top. Even on foot with good safety boots it felt a little slippery so can only imagine how it was for those I saw in runners gingerly plodding along.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    And that's a no from me unless it clears drastically by the evening.
    more snow is expected today.
    my wife got the bus in, and a couple of times it slid while braking to a stop.

Advertisement