Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Have been out through Dublin 11 and Dublin 9. As said above, plenty out, would not recommend. Lesser roads are snow packed ice, main roads are like sandy slush.

However, if you’ve anything with decently wide tyres, go have some fun in a park somewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Walked in to work from Dublin 9. About 8 km. Paths were mostly okay until Drumcondra.

Roads looked slushy as Harry as said, but swords road and drumcondra road not so bad. However, with more snow having fallen since, and to fall, it's going to be icy.

Anyone who cycled in, is going to have a hard job cycling home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

After a fall last week (snapped chain on steep hill) and the crushing realisation that my body can't recover from falls the way it did 10 years ago, I decided not to dice with the ice. Colour me wimpy!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WTAF goes through some people's heads:
    https://www.facebook.com/angardasiochana/videos/10155841392228001/

There is no job in the world that justifies doing that. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    No day for the bike in dublin anyway. Dublin 15 must have 150mm plus of snow.

Bucketing down in Meath still on top of what was about 10cm+ from last night - at what stage should I start worrying that the one sliced pan I bought on Monday wasn't enough :D.

Definitely a no from me, no bike, no bus no train - not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Bucketing down in Meath still on top of what was about 10cm+ from last night - at what stage should I start worrying that the one sliced pan I bought on Monday wasn't enough :D.

Definitely a no from me, no bike, no bus no train - not worth it.

I'll sell ya one but it's collection only! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, no surprises here..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was out and about in the car early on. Sorting out clothes and food for the homeless charity I'm involved in, only that stuff was critical I'd have left it even though I do enjoy driving in these conditions. Visibility is poor and I did see a few brave souls, very slippy out there though and going out for the sake of it is not advisable.
    Too many clowns in Range Rovers and X5's that think they are in all conquering off road warriors... just the low profile tyres they went for are useless in these conditions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was out in the car earlier. not nearly as bad out there as i expected. except for the clowns driving in driving snow with no lights on, and the people who barely made an effort to clear snow from their cars.

I was up in Walkinstown and Tallaght, those areas being higher tend to get 8t a bit worse I suppose

• Advertisement

Turbo trainer for me this afternoon.. my spiked tyres / wheels combo go on unused

i'm going to go for a rather unusual reason for having bailed out on plans to go cycling this morning, and it wasn't to do with the weather.
    i had to bring a hedgehog to the vet.

i'm going to go for a rather unusual reason for having bailed out on plans to go cycling this morning, and it wasn't to do with the weather.
    i had to bring a hedgehog to the vet.

Did that a couple of years ago myself after I discovered a neighbour was leaving milk out for one and it was in a bad way as a result, poor guy didn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Did that a couple of years ago myself after I discovered a neighbour was leaving milk out for one and it was in a bad way as a result, poor guy didn't make it.

Milk is toxic for hedgehogs?

Fian wrote: »
    Milk is toxic for hedgehogs?

Yeah they are lactose-intolerant can cause serious stomach and digestive issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah they are lactose-intolerant can cause serious stomach and digestive issues.

You learn something new everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Looked the window and damp roads with rain... Back to bed for me...

My only good reason was I spent ages cleaning the bike last week and the thoughts of my shiny clean bike getting manky again was a major factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Struggling to get up all week...woke up at 6am this morning...fml.
    Been putting off heading out for the last 2 hours...screw it, everyone else will be in bed for the next 2 hours anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

retalivity wrote: »
    ...screw it, everyone else will be in bed for the next 2 hours anyway
    Some of us have been at work for the past 2 hours!

Pleasant cycle in this morning. Cold but bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

dahat wrote: »
    Looked the window and damp roads with rain... Back to bed for me...

My only good reason was I spent ages cleaning the bike last week and the thoughts of my shiny clean bike getting manky again was a major factor.

Talk about a late bump lol..

But I'm terms of keeping the bike clean, in autumn / winter I wax the frame using carnauba wax, you can literally wipe the dirt off with a kitchen towel afterwards!

• Advertisement

had been planning on tackling kilmashogue at lunch, but not with a 30km/h southerly. it's bad enough without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

had been planning on tackling kilmashogue at lunch, but not with a 30km/h southerly. it's bad enough without it.

Don't really think this counts for the wimp list tbh. I feel a remarkable lack of guilt for similarly not deciding to pop up to Kilmashogue during my lunch break, regardless of the weather. By implication you did cycle into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

Looking pretty rough out through the window here in Ballsbridge ... straight into the wind and rain out to Shankill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Looks like a tailwind for me all the way home! :)

I walked up to Talbot street an hour ago from the IFSC. Drenched. Now sitting at desk in my dry MTB shorts and cycling shoes!

I just had to nip to our office around the corner, I am soaked. My bike shall be sleeping in the office....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

To be fair, i'm originally from Galway and this type of weather is nothing new. Having said that, i never had to fcuking cycle in it when i was down there. :D

I just had to nip to our office around the corner, I am soaked. My bike shall be sleeping in the office....
    if you're already soaked, nothing more to lose!

if you're already soaked, nothing more to lose!

Back in the office now in work clothes. I just can't face the canal and there are minor floods everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

45 minutes on the bike or two hours stuck on the smelly bus??

Advertisement