Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

45 minutes on the bike or two hours stuck on the smelly bus??

Well I managed to talk a lady into meeting me for food so the bike is loosing the now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

nasty crosswind the whole way home. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got sent home yesterday, but called today to do a specific job that no one else could do. Drove in, and drove home an hour later. Glad of it to be honest as if I got the bus I may have killed off a large number of users of the 145 or 84.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Well I managed to talk a lady into meeting me for food so the bike is loosing the now :o
    Make sure you have strava on for your ride.
    nasty crosswind the whole way home. I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm looking out the window at the solitary tree across the road and the wind seems to have died down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭VW 1

Have to get to Ballsbridge to Finglas, only option would be a 30 min walk to a bus so no wimping here!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hop on the 4 and change to the 9 anywhere between o'connell street and ballymun road?

hop on the 4 and change to the 9 anywhere between o'connell street and ballymun road?

Tbh, I'd really rather cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nasty crosswind the whole way home..
    Yes, a few squeaky bum moments for me and I only did a short ride. The junction of Westmoreland St and Fleet St was like some sort of vortex. I nearly got blown under a bus!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Tiny cycle this eve.

It's biblical out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

One of the worst cycles I’ve had in a very long time. Usually 35-40 mins became 55. Soaked through within 500m of leaving the office. Almost every road had some form of flooding, some unavoidable. Some unbelievably impatient drivers, more blatant than usual light breaking, cars with no lights, and of course lots of mobiles out in traffic.

Clothes weigh about 3 times their usual weight. Now I’m plucking up the courage to go out and hose the crap off the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Just over 6k. Usually takes me 16-17 minutes. It took over 22 minutes this evening. Cars blocking every road and junction. No room being left for cyclists as many drivers didn't care. Floods in many places. Anyone travelling between Sandymount and Ringsend will probably be took in traffic for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

That was as rough a home commute as I’ve ever done - really heavy rain, strong head wind and loads of standing water!! Massive pool of water on the kitchen floor .... that’ll go down well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

That was a wet one. 30 mins in the lashings.

All my wet clothes are in the bath where they will stay for the night.

Traffic was mayhem. Lots of local flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I'm wetter than an otters pocket. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

Well, that was fun and sketchy as hell. Felt like a salmon run

Was wetter and slower than normal, but thankfully it's very mild temperature-wise out there. Wind had died right down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

C3PO wrote: »
    That was as rough a home commute as I’ve ever done - really heavy rain, strong head wind and loads of standing water!! Massive pool of water on the kitchen floor .... that’ll go down well!!

That’s bizarre ... I’ve just gone out in the car and it’s dry and the wind has disappeared! Maybe I should start working until later!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭alentejo

Managed to avoid rain this evening and left office 6. Not too bad cycle with no noticable wind. Lots of large puddles though! Traffic was as bad as I ever seen it.

So the wimp list is filling up with us who didn’t wimp out. Where have all the wimps gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

So the wimp list is filling up with us who didn’t wimp out. Where have all the wimps gone?

Here.

Drove the kids in to school, ditched the car and got the DART.

(I'm obviously using the kids as an excuse)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Somedays, you just get wet.

Deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I thought they might be posting over in the non-wimp thread but no.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87039483

I thought they might be posting over in the non-wimp thread but no.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87039483

Maybe the snow and storms after the last year have toughened people up and they think that cycling through rivers while pouring rain is wimpish in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There were proper streams flowing through Santry tonight.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wimped out based on the forecast, and being under time pressure yesterday evening. It was mainly the galeforce headwind rather than the rain though. And wife pressure who worries anyway.

Got soaked going to the car and then I was most likely no quicker, as it has double the usual journey. But apparently to my colleagues I was "lucky" not to be on the bike...

So sat soaked going nowhere v getting soaked and moving. I'll be doing the latter next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

My gloves were still soaked this morning. Forgot to leave them on a windowsill.

On friday I was not at my normal office. So I wore slacks and brought a shirt in teh bag, rather than my usual tights and shorts. Also wore shoes rather than my usual runners - I keep shoes & suits to change into in my office but was not going to my office. Anyway it meant i cycled home in trousers and shoes rather than the usual gear. I left around 4pm. It was insane. So many flooded roads. I was soaked though, my underwear were dripping when i took off my torusers at home.

Was kind of funny though. At least it wasn't cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Looks like everyone on the Dublin commute is in for a nice wash again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Drove in. An hour and a half to travel 20k. I would say half of that was sitting in local traffic caused by school runs. What a waste.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Shoes wet through this morning and my feet so cold I struggled to put on dry socks without putting myself in pain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There was no rain north of the liffey it seemed between 7.30 and 9.

Advertisement