Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

My commute would have been fun if I had been going home. Wind in the face the whole way. Tough cycle.

When I saw the weather I remembered it taking me 1.5 hours to get home just a few weeks ago rather than max 20 minutes on the bike. It was an easy decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think that was my slowest commute in along the canal of all time. However my wife to be slogged it out too, so I'm in a pretty good mood. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

On the wimp list this morning. Not so much from wind and rain, more from the earache from a worrying better half (edit - getting earache for even suggesting I should've cycled now after giving out about how head wrecking being traffic was :) ). Regretted it pretty much the whole way in from my usual parking up spot tbh
    oh, and i tried out the aldi neoprene gloves for the first time this morning. they're great at collecting water.
    I assumed they're the same logic as a wetsuit - keep you warm not dry, using a layer of trapped water inside the neoprene?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, i assume so - but it was really just drizzling when i left the house (albeit drizzling horizontally) so i thought they'd be adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,501 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Reporting for duty.

Killiney to the airport in that wind and rain was not appealing this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    I think that was my slowest commute in along the canal of all time. However my wife to be slogged it out too, so I'm in a pretty good mood. :)
    i have an image in my head now of buffalo seeing a woman cycling along the canal with such style and determination that he thought 'i'm going to marry the heck out of that woman'.
    i am wondering if he made her aware of said plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cycling into such a ferocious easterly, is....a strange experience. Headwinds on the inbound commute are rare enough, heavy gales are unheard of.

Looking forward to the sudden swing to westerly this evening and a headwind on the way home too.

Every. Time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

The hardest part was the North Westerly Easterly Southerly gusts. One moment you're being tipped along nicely with a tailwind and then without warning it's a head wind.

The wind was all over the place. I thought I'd have a nice spin in with the wind at my back.

It's not too bad when you're out in it. I got fairly soaked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Add me to the list. When I heard the wind and rain, I reset the clock for another 30mins and took the car. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Coming through Dublin City Centre was nuts, traffic all over the place, visibility poor for drivers and kinda felt a bit foolish for braving it today. I had this song going through my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

a day for disc brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Bray to IFSC, MTB today instead of the road bike, needed those disc brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

i have an image in my head now of buffalo seeing a woman cycling along the canal with such style and determination that he thought 'i'm going to marry the heck out of that woman'.
    i am wondering if he made her aware of said plans.

Very hard to propose over the noise of the wind, but I think she got the idea. She didn't stop pedalling though... my sort of woman! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

Terenure to City Centre - Traffic woeful as norm. The only issue was the wind sheer at some city centre junctions. Rain not as bad as I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Did the usual 7.5k school drop loop. Crosswinds a bit rough on occssion but overall not too bad.
    24mins instead of 21-22mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

alentejo wrote: »
    Terenure to City Centre - Traffic woeful as norm. The only issue was the wind sheer at some city centre junctions. Rain not as bad as I thought it would be.

After getting properly drenched through a few times last week I didn’t see much of an issue getting the bike this morning, but the wind really threw me. Waiting on Samuel Beckett bridge was a battle to stand upright. Traffic was brutal but to be honest I preferred the predictability of mostly stationary cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm on the coast here in Portmarnock and I had to abandon ship when I got to Portmarnock village. The gusts were enough to slide the bike sideways on the road. Immediately stopped and went for home. Definitely not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cold, wind & rain is the devil's threesome. Any two on their own are fine. The three together are just the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

My first time since August joining this list...2km of my commute has me shoulder width away from traffic so with those winds I didn't want to risk it. Good call by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

CramCycle wrote: »
    I woke up after a terrible night sleep with a cracking headache. Decided to just roll out of bed and onto the bus. When I reached a point I would have passed on my bike in 5 minutes, 20 minutes later, I remembered why I don't use the bus. Nothing is worth that. Almost an hour and a half, for what would have been a 40 minute cycle and probably only an hours drive by private transport.

Never again

Had to drive myself. Took more than an hour to get to Citywest. Utterly Ridiculous. Most of that was spent sitting in local traffic watching bikes go by. Would rather be a bit wet around the edges than sitting on the M50 going slowly insane..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Kill to D2 today, thought i'd leave early and dodge the rain, left at 0630, wet by 0633 thank you met.ie! Woeful wind on the way in and the bad news is it'll have turned and be a headwind on the way home as well. Given the headwind and my drenched through gear i might have to revert to the car for tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I'm on the coast here in Portmarnock and I had to abandon ship when I got to Portmarnock village. The gusts were enough to slide the bike sideways on the road. Immediately stopped and went for home. Definitely not worth it.

It seems to have picked up a bit out there again. I hope it dies down later.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Weather wasn't too bad Ballyfermot to Baggot Street fairly damp but the wind wasnt too bad most of the way.

But the traffic was mental i hate when it gets like that and motorists start doing silly things just to get 10 feet up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Bray to Dublin2. Amazing. It was like being on a motorbike. I was doing 50kph passing Blackrock College with no effort at all. Thankfully the rain is to stop and the wind to drop completely for this evening. I'll worry about what tomorrow's throwing up, tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Cycle in was fine. Not looking forward to the headwind on teh way home though.

Obviously soaked through, I made teh mistake of sitting in my office chair before taking off my cycling clothes. Now it is damp. will have to swap it for another chair for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cycled in, nice tailwind this time :) Latex gloves over wool ones and cling film around the ankles (shoes are waterproof) worked mostly ok, fingers got cold but not wet. It's only when I suddenly felt my left leg getting wet, I've discovered the whole film got spun around the crank arm and it's not really protecting the ankle any longer ;)

Is there any way I can find all eastbound rides in Strava today? These hardy people deserve a kudos!

Alek wrote: »
    Is there any way I can find all eastbound rides in Strava today? These hardy people deserve a kudos!
    it's a southeasterly out there this morning. take my word on that.

as mentioned above, i did strand road from the east link to the merrion gates this morning. pushing it, i averaged 19km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

21 km cross wind cycle into town today. One or two sketchy moments on the roundabouts with the gusts from very open road. Of the 3 very windy days in the past 2 months I think today's was the worst because of wind direction. Cold and very wet as well. Cyclone courier was blown right across the bike path along the canal which could have been sketchy for anyone travelling the opposite way but he was lucky to avoid everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Santry to Ballsbridge, missed most of the rain as I left at 8.30.

Feet got soaked, really need to get shoe covers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Northwood to IFSC. Grand, other than some sketchy gusts, particularly in Ballymun where I think the various amounts of poor planning have turned it into a bit of a Kansas type tornado alley.

Bus lanes were grand too, and drivers were all on the ball.

Advertisement