Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Wimped out and got a loft today. It was absolutely biblical, driving wind and rain, standing water over the central white line on the road.
    It's grand and sunny now :rolleyes:

I'll do my penance cycling back into town and out again this eve eek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Add me to the list. When I heard the wind and rain, I reset the clock for another 30mins and took the car. :o

Good to see you made the right call on that. Your commute would have been horrendous in those conditions. The regular club Tuesday spin was cancelled too so add five more of us to the wimp list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycled this morning from west Dublin - not too bad setting off but by jaysus the phoenix park got rough. Driving rain and a head wind from hell. Glad to get to work in one piece in the end....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

It looks like the wind and rain won't be a factor this evening at all in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

It looks like the wind and rain won't be a factor this evening at all in Dublin!

Damn. For some foolish reason I feel strangely guilty about having had a monster tailwind this morning and no headwind to struggle back through this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

Fian wrote: »
    Damn. For some foolish reason I feel strangely guilty about having had a monster tailwind this morning and no headwind to struggle back through this evening.

I was just relieved!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i leave work at 4pm. question now is do i cycle in tomorrow and face this for the spin home:
    467015.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Forecast Update -- Tues 27 Nov 2018 -- 7:30 p.m.

Storm "Diana" is bearing down rapidly on the southwest counties and due to its elongated shape it may have its greatest wind impacts on the south coast even as far east as Wexford tomorrow. The timing for strongest wind gusts appears to be 0800h Kerry to 1100h Waterford and about 1100-1200h Wexford.

A recent ship report taken surprisingly close to the centre of this well-forecasted cyclone showed 52 knot winds and a pressure of 954 mbs. This underscores the potential for damaging wind gusts to reach the south coast of Ireland even if Diana weakens slightly. Therefore I am upgrading previous wording and predicting the potential for 130 km/hr wind gusts in exposed areas of the south coast and 110 km/hr well inland where terrain does not block south to southwest winds from moving inland easily.

Unlike many storms on this sort of track, the effects may spread out more around the south and east and less dramatically for the west and north but we will maintain an alert to 120 km/hr for west coast exposed areas as a worst case scenario, don't be absolutely surprised if the actual results are a bit lower as the main force of this storm seems to be spinning off to its east as it moves northeastward at a rapid pace.

Current satellite fix on position is 45.8N 25.2W as of 1900h. Estimated central pressure was 950 mbs.

Stay safe and avoid unnecessary road travel especially in southern counties tomorrow.

The rest of the forecast remains about the same and there may be some outbreaks of moderate to heavy rain with the strong winds, making driving or walking that much more hazardous.

-- Peter for the IWO forecast team

-- will try for an early forecast around 0630h at least for the impending windstorm situation perhaps updating rest of it around 0730h as usual. ... earlier updates if the situation changes significantly from the above, will be keeping a continuous watch as it's all daytime here eight hours behind your time zone. -- Peter for IWO

Wonder can I baggsy a lift off the OH again

It is warm this morning folks. Nearly 15 degrees. Its blustery and bit of a dristle. Think i might chance it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's very mild out. was a bit warm on the way in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,350 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a grand cycle in this morning, a tiny bit of rain in the air in parts, but mild and no wind I could feel , hopefully whatever there is blows over by late afternoon

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'm on herselfs bike. I look like a gorilla on a tricycle. Got a puncture coming home last night and out of all the inner tubes i have for different bikes, none of them are the right one FFS.

I hope it isn't too windy on the way home.

The brakes also squeak like a tortured goose on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Doesn't seem that bad out to me, but I decided to work from home again today. I did manage to get out for a spin yesterday afternoon after the wind had died down so not too bad I guess.

Doesn't seem that bad out to me, but I decided to work from home again today. I did manage to get out for a spin yesterday afternoon after the wind had died down so not too bad I guess.

No, it's not too bad. I wouldn't call it stormy at all. According to the weather it isn't going to get any worse either.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Felt a few gusts via the trailer but its grand in general around my school route.

Heading to town this evening so will see how the clontarf track is at that stage

Almost blown off my bike a few times on the rock/ coast road. So gusty. Once minute I rink I'm flying and the next going backwards, sideways.
    It's kind of fun :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lads - this is the Wimp List thread!

Those of you who cycled should be posting over in MB Lacey's "Simply the Best" thread! :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87039483

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

nee wrote: »
    Almost blown off my bike a few times on the rock/ coast road. So gusty. Once minute I rink I'm flying and the next going backwards, sideways.
    It's kind of fun :o

Probably for the best you didn't take my wheel bag, would've acted like a sail. I lost my leap card between Harry's bikes and the bus stop.

Should've cycled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

No, it's not too bad. I wouldn't call it stormy at all. According to the weather it isn't going to get any worse either.

Not sure what "weather" you checked but you might want to try a more reliable one in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Looking out the window at the wind and rain... but working from home.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bfeb039343336472e7d89dd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Might need to reconsider the return leg of the cycle home now....

No jacket.... no public transport.... hmmm should be interesting....

Weepsie wrote: »
    Probably for the best you didn't take my wheel bag, would've acted like a sail. I lost my leap card between Harry's bikes and the bus stop.

Should've cycled

Yup twas a fairly exciting cycle home - I was glad of spoked non sail cargo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Glad I didn't cycle. For me the wind would be a headwind on the way home..

Add me to the list for today. When I heard the wind and rain, I reset the alarm for 30mins and took the car to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Add me to the list for today. When I heard the wind and rain, I reset the alarm for 30mins and took the car to work.

your going soft

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Think I broke the record for the slowest ever cycle down the north circular this morning. That headwind was a bit yikes

Anyone cycle home this evening? The headwind was so tough, almost felt like there was two people on the bike. Went over one of the motorway passes and thought I'd be blown into the footpath

looks like tomorrow morning is due to be another blast. feels churlish to complain, after the summer we had, but it's getting a little repetitive.
    blast not used in the positive sense.

Looks like most of the worse weather is on the wee hours.

• Advertisement

looks like tomorrow morning is due to be another blast. feels churlish to complain, after the summer we had, but it's getting a little repetitive.
    blast not used in the positive sense.
    I was just thinking that earlier today. I think I've been soaked more times in the past few weeks than in the past 10 years.

(Our club ride tomorrow has been pushed back to noon to avoid the morning downpour.)

Advertisement