Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mc Love wrote: »
    Looks like most of the worse weather is on the wee hours.
    only if you're a late riser.
    468388.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Anyone cycle home this evening? The headwind was so tough, almost felt like there was two people on the bike. Went over one of the motorway passes and thought I'd be blown into the footpath

Heading sounthwest so it wasn’t terrible but it did seem to be picking up the closer to home I got. Just before home I head over the M50 and it was pretty ropey this evening.

Joining the proper wimp list tomorrow for the first time this winter and working from home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah I think I'll have to make a call tomorrow morning on whether it's worth it. Hopefully it passes quicker than it's forecast to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yup crossing the M50 was not pleasant. I had thought the wind was forecast to be south east but it was south west and more like west as I got towards home, so I diverted by the canal to keep things a bit more interesting. I think that's the commuting done for the year. Looking forward to picking a dry day over the Christmas to head out for a spin .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Gerry wrote: »
    Yup crossing the M50 was not pleasant. I had thought the wind was forecast to be south east but it was south west and more like west as I got towards home, so I diverted by the canal to keep things a bit more interesting. I think that's the commuting done for the year. Looking forward to picking a dry day over the Christmas to head out for a spin .

I got out around 4 and it felt south east heading up grand canal street but I could have been imagining things. Heading out the N81 seemed to be in my face so it may have shifted south west, but the N81 has always felt like heading into a wind tunnel even on calm days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone cycle home this evening? The headwind was so tough...
    Eh, wouldn't it depend on the direction of travel?

One man's headwind is another man's tailwind!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Indeed, was headed southwest. Bit further west than most on here. Its not looking bad here in Limerick at the moment. Dublin looks to be getting the remnants of the stormy weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Anyone cycle home this evening? The headwind was so tough, almost felt like there was two people on the bike. Went over one of the motorway passes and thought I'd be blown into the footpath

I did. I've a virus and i thought i was going to croak going up a section on strava known as the Ballycullen Hell Drag.

It wasn't too bad this morning. Sounded worse than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've cycled in/out of work for the last 6 nights and tonight was the last of this shift, but just couldn't face the bike so took the car. Weather is probably one of the better evenings this past week but I'm wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I got absolutely dumped on this morning going through the city centre at around 06:30, was windy and raining leaving the house but after about 20mins the sky opened and it was biblical with ponds of water all along the quays. One morning where the train would have been an option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not many cyclists out in dublin this morning. and that includes me (not being out).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

not many cyclists out in dublin this morning. and that includes me (not being out).

Well it is raining out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

bazermc wrote: »
    Well it is raining out.

Rain, Christmas drinking plans, early holidays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I did some light hiking in Wicklow instead

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Yeah wimp list for me too. I usually try to get out a few times over Xmas but not this year. I think the repeated soakings finally caught up with me. That or the heavy drinking and eating I suppose!

Anyone going to chance the cycle this morning, pretty noisy outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Mc Love wrote:

Just got into the office in Ballsbridge from Shankill - wet but wind behind me so no problem! Going home will be another thing!!

Likely to be the same for me as always! Got this reply on the weather forum
    Few folk out on their bikes but I saw two people get off and walk as they were being blown about too much in Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Likely to be the same for me as always! Got this reply on the weather forum

Those weather forum folk fall over when they see a yellow warning.
    This is a winters day in Dublin and that’s it, or what they’d call in Belgium, Friday weather

Its about 29/30 km/h winds here in Limerick. Not the worst I've experienced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Didn't seem that bad on the way in, apart from through the exposed Phoenix Park.

No issues on my cycle in, was actually quite a nice morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

No issues on the way in and it was all cross or head wind.
    No rain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Strong Easterly gusts for me on the N11, not the most enjoyable but certainly managable. Came across a guy pulling a kid trailer, he was struggling with the gusts as the thing acted like a sail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I got about 200 metres and was blown about 4 metres sideways across the road. Went back for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Bottled it this morning, afraid of the sudden lateral shift as you pass a gate might be the end of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

It sounded worse than it was in Ballycullen (for me anyways). I'd usually fly into work on a day like today, but every bastard traffic light was against me this morning. I definitely could have cut at least ten minutes off the trip in if the lights weren't being so fooking awkward today. :mad:

The cycle home is going to be a bitch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

wasn't too bad at sandymount but at Grand Canal Dock station I had to brace myself , glad not to be on a bike this morning

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Tailwind most of he way from west Dublin. Few hairy cross winds in the phoenix park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Twas grand, one or two gusts but nothing to knock you off. Sounded far worse than it was.

Advertisement