Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Tough morning, head wind all the way from home to work, through the Phoenix Park. Missed the most of the rain in fairness.

All changed in the evening, hoisted the sail on that 17 stone beast and flew home thanks to a savage tail wind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Tough morning, head wind all the way from home to work, through the Phoenix Park. Missed the most of the rain in fairness.

All changed in the evening, hoisted the sail on that 17 stone beast and flew home thanks to a savage tail wind.....

You cycled, this is not the thread for you! This is supposed to be a safe place with internet hugs for those who wimp out. We are feeling bad enough already, have some heart.

flatface wrote: »
    You cycled, this is not the thread for you! This is supposed to be a safe place with internet hugs for those who wimp out. We are feeling bad enough already, have some heart.

Was close to wimping. Only for the rain easing off I’d be on the list....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nee wrote: »
    I was one of these people not one hour ago.
    Sitting on the runway for an hour after wobbly landing and the plane was listing like a boat in the wind. The thing that joins onto the planet couldn't attach cos of the wind. And another plane took our spot.
    A bunch of people and kids got sick from three wavyness and wobbliness.
    The joys
    i'd have popped a door open when no-one was looking and jumped out onto the tarmac.

Just looking at the state of some of the roads locally this afternoon on my way home. I'm sure most of us know every flaw on a road we ride regularly, it's amazing what a sustained downpour, flowing water from blocked drains and traffic can do to a surface. Few spots that were bad are now borderline craters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Didn't fancy getting blown to Wales this morning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I had been planning on heading up to Wicklow for the first time in donkeys, but met eireann are currently reporting wind speeds on 50km/h in Dublin. So that's a no.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cycled to work this morning. Blustery sure, but the it's the cold that got me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Went to do the usual weather and bike check this morning before heading off to the Club Thursday spin. Got soaked in the few metres to the bike shed and remembered I had taken off the mudguards when putting on the "summer" wheels at the weekend. Checked the rainfall radar, wimped out and went back to bed.

A bit conflicted now seeing the "cold and wet spin to Drogheda" posts on Strava. It will take a while to live this down :(

i usually leave work at 4. i should demand overtime for being stuck here over an hour later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

i usually leave work at 4. i should demand overtime for being stuck here over an hour later.

You’re far better off. I left at 4, city centre to Rathgar was practically a swim, Rathgar to home was blue skies and sunshine.

yep, was quite a pleasant cycle home. traffic was obviously a lot heavier than on my usual schedule - felt sorry for all those poor bastards in their cars queueing back up strand road, headed for the east link. according to google maps, the queue was 3km long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

yep, was quite a pleasant cycle home. traffic was obviously a lot heavier than on my usual schedule - felt sorry for all those poor bastards in their cars queueing back up strand road, headed for the east link. according to google maps, the queue was 3km long.

I was on that route between 5-5.30pm (cycling). I never saw the traffic so bad. It was about 1km longer than the worst I had previously seen, where after 1.5 hours I dumped the car in Ringsend and walked. Rarely drive since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I was on that route between 5-5.30pm (cycling). I never saw the traffic so bad. It was about 1km longer than the worst I had previously seen, where after 1.5 hours I dumped the car in Ringsend and walked. Rarely drive since then.

How does this happen when it rains? I can never fathom relatively quiet roads inbound in the morning in good weather and then it starts raining later in the day and rush hour is manic. Is it more taxis, or school runs? Always baffled me.

I've seen it way worse. Though the worst was the day the stones were playing. The queue stretched from the east link to within 500m from the merrion Gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It was a grand morning in Limerick yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭blackwhite

How does this happen when it rains? I can never fathom relatively quiet roads inbound in the morning in good weather and then it starts raining later in the day and rush hour is manic. Is it more taxis, or school runs? Always baffled me.

There was wrestling on in the Point last night as well - which would have had an impact on Strand Road and Eastlink

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

It was actually so hot at lunchtime that I'm not looking forward to how sweaty I'm going to be on the way home. And I was planning on stopping to do the big shop. :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

buffalo wrote: »
    It was actually so hot at lunchtime that I'm not looking forward to how sweaty I'm going to be on the way home. And I was planning on stopping to do the big shop. :/

Did a roller session outside in work at lunch.
    Nearly melted.
    It's lovely out, like moving through a warm bath, but my god it's sweaty.
    I did the Big Shop after I got home as well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Train today , looks like Sat is a washout out for Dublin/Wicklow

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Woke up at 6:30 and the sound of the rain coming from the open window was enough to save me the bother of looking out. Back to sleep I went.

Popped out for milk later on, shop is maybe 300m away so walked there. Barely half way and the heavens opened, soaked in seconds and couldn't see a thing and a pretty much instant river flowing down the road. Glad I wasn't out on the bike this morning. Horrible conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Woke up at 6:30 and the sound of the rain coming from the open window was enough to save me the bother of looking out. Back to sleep I went...
    I was half way through my commute then - soaked to the bone.

I just missed it, but the roads were very, very greasy at around 8. Nearly lost control of my back wheel twice, once right beside where I fractured my elbow a few years ago.

That rain woke me up and the thought of cleaning bike after. Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was a morning where you wouldn't know whether to the bike or the ark out
    Weepsie wrote: »

neris wrote: »
    Was a morning where you wouldn't know whether to the bike or the ark out

I had scuba gear on at one stage. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

It was rough. Was out on the Mountain bike for the 10km commute to my folks and by the time I got to their house and was completely drenched.

Had to go out in the afternoon for errands by which time it was fine but the roads were very greasy until they dried up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    Torrential rain on my commute this morning around 6.30 but it was warm and nice in a weird sort of way.

• Advertisement

Torrential rain on my commute this morning around 6.30 but it was warm and nice in a weird sort of way.

You must've been in some of the worst of it. From 4-7.30 or so it was awful

Advertisement