Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Ah lads it’s still summer out there. I havnt even pulled the rain gear out yet. Lights on the bike is all so far. Change of clothes in the bag for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Got lucky for once ... watched the rugby and went out afterwards. 65kms on mainly damp roads but no real rain!

Good cycle home today. Bought rain gear on Saturday. Coat and trousers. Feet were soaked. 18 euro for trousers and 25 for coat in sports direct. No idea if it’s a good price or not but worth every penny as far as I’m concerned. They fold into little bags the size of a pencil case too which is handy. Good hood that fits my head which is rare in these things.

Scared about tomorrow morning but ready to get my monies worth out of this new purchase.

Probably arrived home dryer than people who had to walk through town to bus stops or car parks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tomorrow is expected to be mainly dry though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I cycled home in that tonight and faster than normal too as I had an emergency call at home. Wouldn't want to be doing it again though

Parenting Vita worked its voodoo while despite it being soaked, I underneath was dry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have become an uber wimp. i have a laptop i need to take into the office, and i suspect the cheapo aldi panniers i have, and €5 neoprene laptop case i bought in dealz, may not be up to the job of keeping it dry. i probably should get a large ziplock bag too.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Been wimping out a lot lately, cannot bring myself to do the big commute in the p155ing rain. My 12 year old is showing me up by consistently cycling to school in the rain.

that's a horrendous morning out there, at least on the northside of dublin. met eireann had forecast it would be dry, i should sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

The mist was the killer this morning. Absolutely went through me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

i have become an uber wimp. i have a laptop i need to take into the office, and i suspect the cheapo aldi panniers i have, and €5 neoprene laptop case i bought in dealz, may not be up to the job of keeping it dry. i probably should get a large ziplock bag too.

I have a similarly cheap setup & bring my laptop in every day. a 70c plastic bag from tescos does the job around the laptop case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

they turn on the radiators in my office every year on the 1/10/2019. Chose to cycle in teh rain rather than squeeze into a crowded hot sticky luas with a load of wet people. Was a pleasant surprise that I could dry my cycling clothes on the newly switched on rad so that they won't be damp when i get back into them this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I have a similarly cheap setup & bring my laptop in every day. a 70c plastic bag from tescos does the job around the laptop case.

Another cheap bag owner here, everything goes into the 70c bag then into the backpack. Works a charm as the rain'proof' cover has failed in places in torrential rain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had an early commute on the road this morning so left the house at 6.45am. Pretty grim. Might bottle it and get the train home.....miserable day out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Had an early commute on the road this morning so left the house at 6.45am. Pretty grim. Might bottle it and get the train home.....miserable day out there...

After a really miserable trip home yesterday I wasn’t looking forward to my commute this morning! Left the house at the usual 5.30am and it actually wasn’t too bad .... but the return leg is looking pretty grim again!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have to say have loved the past two days commuting, absolutely epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

City centre is bright and dry for now, my commute has been a joy compared to the way heavier than normal queues of traffic I was floating past.

Dry for us here too but a lot of twigs and leaves down on the roadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Wetness, Winter boots and overshoes! I dont think I can face it this evening..

Only another 7 months of this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

My kit was still wet this evening when I went to get dressed for the commute home :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wet out, wet going for lunch round the corner. Kinda dry home. Silver linings and all that.

looks like tomorrow evening out west and friday morning in dublin will be fun:

025239_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

It'll be a quick spin into work in the morning. Might be a struggle getting home. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

looks like tomorrow evening out west and friday morning in dublin will be fun:

025239_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Calm before the storm today so...:cool:
    Must collect my new winter bike wheels today...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'll walk in and cycle home as I've a spare bike at work much of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Could be some decent strava times depending on where you are. :)

ah, i didn't realise the image i linked to is updated; now showing H off the west coast, it had dropped to S before it hit the coast in the previous iteration.

A STATUS Orange wind warning has been issued for six counties on the west coast as Hurricane Lorenzo makes it ways to Ireland.

The warning is in place for counties Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick from 6pm on Thursday until 3am on Friday.

Winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts generally of 100 to 130km/h, Met Éireann said.

A Status Yellow wind warning is in place for the rest of Ireland from 9am on Thursday until 6am on Friday, with the national forecaster warning that the 100km/h gusts will have "some disruptive impacts".

There is also a Status Yellow rainfall warning in place nationwide from 9am Thursday until 9am Friday, with up to 50mm of rainfall expected in the west and northwest

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hurricane-lorenzo-status-orange-wind-warning-issued-for-six-counties-as-rest-of-country-hit-with-status-yellow-alert-38554518.html

Doesn't look too bad for the east. Probably a bit wet and gusty. Be grand. I'll sail into work in the morning. Might get the bus home. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If they could stretch the weather warning until Saturday, that would be great. Family outdoor thing I could happily avoid with any excuse going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fine in Limerick city this morning! Slight breeze and warmer than what it was yesterday.

Brought the wet gear for the return journey though. my father was offering me a lift in :D

Advertisement