Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

There was tons of cyclists out this morning. Obviously not intimidated by all the scaremongering for this 'so called' storm we're about to get.

Fake news!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Been tracking it from Peter in IWO and midwest and south look to be ok on this one. Connacht & Donegal will get the worst of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

If it doesn't rain too much and the wind comes from the SE (as forecast for Meath) I could get home in record time :D

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    If it doesn't rain too much and the wind comes from the SE (as forecast for Meath) I could get home in record time :D

Stick the feet up on the handlebars on the way home and relax. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Dee-lightful commute into work on the Grand Canal this morning.
    Toyed with taking the car, very very briefly, but anticipated the self-loathing and regret that would result, so hopped on the bike.

Didn't bring much for wet-gear for the way home, but I don't really care about wet until it's really cold. That wind though..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Glorious trio in today, I suspect the return 2ill be less pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

It was a lot warmer than I thought riding into work and I was over-layered. Took off the gloves to cool down a little. It was only 5 degrees when I rode home last night (01.30am) so this probably affected my thinking today.
    Just got rained on for the last 10 mins, so my kit is now drying on a radiator for the spin home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

A colleague of mine (here in dublin) mentioned he was planning to leave early to escape the worst of the storm, once teh wind started picking up.

That is probably unnecessary right? I was planning at leaving shortly before 6pm as usual. Dublin city centre -> dundrum.

Fian wrote: »
    A colleague of mine (here in dublin) mentioned he was planning to leave early to escape the worst of the storm, once teh wind started picking up.

That is probably unnecessary right? I was planning at leaving shortly before 6pm as usual. Dublin city centre -> dundrum.

Looks like there'll be a bit of wind, but nothing major. If it's raining hard it'll be easy get through all the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

Did 35kms at lunchtime around Kilternan/Enniskerry area - windy and a bit wet, but nothing too bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Fian wrote: »

Winds should ease later so your 6pm may be the better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Drove in today - dammit should of cycled :(

The wind sounds a bit swirly out there. I'll need to keep the situation well monitored. :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Complete lack of drama today. Was nice and warm actually. Caught a little dampness on the way home, and a sweet sweet tailwind.

I left work at 7pm, supposed headwind was really light. punctured out on the way home was about as exciting as it got

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Think I'll be signing up to the list today :(

No worse than any other late autumn day in South Dublin

CramCycle wrote: »

The rain was the worst of it. A slight swirly wind. Nothing too hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Found the bike with a flat this morning when I went to leave home. Had a puncture on Monday as well, and hadn't replenished the tube supply

Decided I'd run instead - 10km commute. 2 parts of the route closed because of flood risk - became an 11.5km commute instead :eek:

The OH doesn't work too far away - considering just running up to her office and sponging a lift this evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Was too confident after yesterday and left today without proper rain gear will spend the day drying my gear at my desk now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

The rain was the worst of it. A slight swirly wind. Nothing too hectic.

Aye twas grand. Hopped on in the end, greater fear of public transport.

But may I still say that I always appreciate other cyclists taking it relatively handy on these days

Aye twas grand. Hopped on in the end, greater fear of public transport.

But may I still say that I always appreciate other cyclists taking it relatively handy on these days

The thought of having to take a bus or drive is enough to put me out cycling in a fookin typhoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

The thought of having to take a bus or drive is enough to put me out cycling in a fookin typhoon.

My thoughts exactly! The only thing that would stop me is a really heavy freeze and even then I’ve been known to take the mountain bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I cycle in by Glasnevin cemetery in the morning. On a wet morning like this and usually maybe twice a week in general the traffic would be backed up from Phibsborough to the Ballyboggan road junction. I do admire their patience.

Not the ones that gun it up the bus lane though

De Bhál wrote: »
    I cycle in by Glasnevin cemetery in the morning. On a wet morning like this and usually maybe twice a week in general the traffic would be backed up from Phibsborough to the Ballyboggan road junction. I do admire their patience.

Not the ones that gun it up the bus lane though

It must be mind numbing to sit in traffic for prolonged periods of time like that. I don't know how people do it.

/veryfcukingsmug

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

C3PO wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly! The only thing that would stop me is a really heavy freeze and even then I’ve been known to take the mountain bike!
    During the bad snows here, the MTB on the mostly slushy roads was generally a much safer option than walking on the compacted ice on the paths.

During the bad snows here, the MTB on the mostly slushy roads was generally a much safer option than walking on the compacted ice on the paths.

Happened our last big snow. I stopped to push a car that got stuck and a pedestrian berated me when i picked up my bike after for being a danger to myself and others. He proceeded to snot himself off the pavement and I span off to the shop (not for bread).

Back in 2010, I taped a shovel to my crossbar, dug out my partners car on the way home from work. I then helped a garda push out another car, dug out a car for two girls going to their grannys funeral, then dug out a car driving out to the airport for a kiwi heading home, finally digging out a mother and child who got stuck. Added 5 hours onto my trip home, but I was still quicker than some and not as much of a danger as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,018 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Happened our last big snow. I stopped to push a car that got stuck and a pedestrian berated me when i picked up my bike after for being a danger to myself and others. He proceeded to snot himself off the pavement and I span off to the shop (not for bread).
    Oh to have the helmetcam running!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

**** that for a game of soldiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Reporting for duty!!
    We down to the shed to get the bike and was being shot blasted by the rain. So went in and got changed and took the car.

Advertisement