Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

For once my early start worked in my favour - left the house at about 5.35am and it was spitting rain ... stayed like that the whole way in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, that's me working from home tomorrow.

494669.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i hadn't even noticed the wind forecast - it's all over the place. drops to near calm at 7am, picks up, drops back at noon, and then goes fairly full on at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

i hadn't even noticed the wind forecast - it's all over the place. drops to near calm at 7am, picks up, drops back at noon, and then goes fairly full on at 6pm.

Was tempted to work from home, but this might be the first time I’ve ever seen the wind forecast in my favour for both the inbound and outbound commute. Enjoy your cozy houses, suckers...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was tempted to work from home, but this might be the first time I’ve ever seen the wind forecast in my favour for both the inbound and outbound commute. Enjoy your cozy houses, suckers...

I am the opposite (unpleasant wind direction both ways) but on a track bike so as long as my legs keep turning at the same speed, it should make minimal difference :cool:

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    so as long as my legs keep turning at the same speed
    an interesting concept that each leg could be turning a different cadence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Cross headwind in and out for me tomorrow. Oh joy! I shall try to channel you Cram on my track bike tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure my legs won't be turning at the same speed as usual :pac:

I hope my shoes are dry after this evening

Waaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

an interesting concept that each leg could be turning a different cadence.

You win this round, but it is a matter of interpretation. My legs (together) spin at a certain cadence, come rain or shine, that cadence will be relatively unchanged bar stopping or starting. Regrettably, I cannot see a fault with your reading of the sentence or mine, any pedants around to say where i should have put a coma :pac:

eeeee wrote: »
    I hope my shoes are dry after this evening
    I have accepted mine are going to be wet tomorrrow, no point planning for anything else

I have accepted mine are going to be wet tomorrrow, no point planning for anything else

You animal.

There's always hope :D

• Advertisement

Regrettably, I cannot see a fault with your reading of the sentence or mine, any pedants around to say where i should have put a coma :pac:
    I am the opposite (unpleasant wind direction both ways) but on a track bike so as long as my legs keep turning at the same speed, it should make minimal difference :cool:

I think here maybe?

i quite like the idea of resting one leg at a time. grind with your left while you spin with your right to rest it, and let them swap places.

there are some intelligent people left in the world, make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Feck it out I go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

tnegun wrote: »
    Feck it out I go!!

Right behind ya!

Aaaaaaaaaaah

I think I need flippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Waiting for the message to say that the club ride has been cancelled. It's not forthcoming. I'd better saddle up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not so much the wet, it's the miserable cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Left before the heavy stuff started. Got about 3 minutes from the office relatively dry, then soaked through in about 60 seconds in a downpour while on the Samuel Beckett.

Win some, lose some.

Got in ok need to sort my shoes and gloves though might as well of not had them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

took 5 minutes to fish office keys out of gilet and 2 more minutes to get them in the keyhole. so so cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I'm not ashamed to say I sat it out today. I'm just sick of being wet. But it didn't help, I got just as wet walking for 5 minutes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

First time not cycling to work since April.

Got destroyed going home last night. My brakes and gears are all over the place, so it's going into the shop tomorrow.
    Saw the forecast for today (Heavy rain and headwinds morning and evening..) and opted for the car.

Good opportunity to swap a few clothing items in the office. Also, good to remind myself of the absolute shytshow that is driving in rush-hour. Dreading the return journey even more..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Ah, it wasnt that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Waiting for the message to say that the club ride has been cancelled. It's not forthcoming. I'd better saddle up.
    That was pretty grim - very wet with flooded roads and an average temp. of 3 degrees. We cut it short and only did 76k.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had to go to Dunnes and buy another pair of trousers before I went into work. The rain trousers! They do nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I had to go to Dunnes and buy another pair of trousers before I went into work. The rain trousers! They do nothing!
    Mine are nothing fancy - 10-ish year old Altura ones - but they seemed to largely do the job. Shoes, socks, gloves and head were thoroughly soaked, but everything else was OK. I brought dry socks, though it was amazing to see just how manky the ones I wore in the morning were - that water is absolutely filthy. I found a bit of radiator space - a rarity in an air-conditioned building - for the gloves. Stuffed newspapers got the worst of the moisture out of the shoes before going home time, but sure they were soaked again in five minutes.

That was a cold run, -3 on the Garmin roads were ok though but took it very handy on any roundabouts!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was still wearing shorts this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I saw a guy wearing no socks and boat shows this morning. I'd say his feet had to be like two blocks of ice.

• Advertisement

I said in another thread earlier in the year that I never changed the type of clothing I wear over the year on the bike, no need I said. Lost a fair amount of weight this year, I now see the need to wear appropriate gear for the weather, that extra layer of body fat really had a purpose.

Advertisement