Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I’m noticing the cyclist commuters thinning out.

Only seems to be people that cycle past me at warp speed now. The boys and girls that I could overtake seem to have all gone back to driving or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

BDI wrote: »
    I’m noticing the cyclist commuters thinning out.

Only seems to be people that cycle past me at warp speed now. The boys and girls that I could overtake seem to have all gone back to driving or whatever.
    I was thinking that yesterday and the tail end of last week, but today it seemed like everyone was out in force. Suppose it was fairly dry and about 8 degrees on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I'm still seeing tons of people out. The bad days not so much, but every other day there's queues at lights etc. If anything the number seems ton be growing.

I'm still seeing tons of people out. The bad days not so much, but every other day there's queues at lights etc. If anything the number seems ton be growing.

Maybe it depends on time. I’m out at 6 15 ish struggling around Dublin docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I was in a peleton of about 15 cyclists heading down the quays this morning. Felt great. Not really noticing a huge drop in numbers on my commute week on week, but one the really wet days it drops dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Same, loads of people on bikes still, more and more year on year in increasingly bad weather.

More women too than ever before (well in the 15 years I'm pedalling around the city) which is deadly. I used to be the only woman I'd see on my commute, now there's at least a couple on my commutes on all bar the worst days, when male numbers plummet too.

eeeee wrote: »
    Same, loads of people on bikes still, more and more year on year in increasingly bad weather.

More women too than ever before (well in the 15 years I'm pedalling around the city) which is deadly. I used to be the only woman I'd see on my commute, now there's at least a couple on my commutes on all bar the worst days, when male numbers plummet too.

When you said more women on my commute which is deadly, I rolled my eyes and said ah here we go,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

When you said more women on my commute which is deadly, I rolled my eyes and said ah here we go,

:D

We're a deadly breed!

Maybe it depends on time. I’m out at 6 15 ish struggling around Dublin docks.

True, that is early. I'm usually hitting Dublin CC around 8.00 having left the house at half seven.

If i ever leave a bit earlier, i do notice that there is not the same level of cyclists out. It's a comfort when there's more out too. Safety in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I come onto the Grand Canal at Adamstown in the morning and there are a couple of spots where you can see the tracks in the frost/dew usually difficult to count how many are gone ahead be recently its only been 3/4 bikes ahead of me at 7.30. On the straights you can see the lights in the distance but its only hardened commuters now, even the 2 ebikes and 1 petrol engine retrofit that I used to see seem to have parked up or are taking different routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

I go through the “bicycle counter” at the bottom of Booterstown Avenue just before 6am in the morning - during the summer months there could be 20+ bikes before me but as the winter sets in I’m usually in the first 10 through!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm seeing plenty of people out too, and my new road has a decent number of kids and teens cycling to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

My route has changed for the winter.. so I'm no longer using Naas Road inbound, opting for the Grand Canal inbound instead in the evenings.
    So one less bicyclist on that road at night.

Grand Canal town to Grange Castle in the mornings still seems busy enough, around 8-8.30am.

I had to wimp out this morning because i was on the beer last night and left my bike in the office.

It took me a fcuking hour and a half to get into work on the bus. I rarely get it. Once or twice a year. If i was cycling it normally takes me between 35 and 38 minutes depending if i get lucky with traffic light sequences. When it rains in Dublin the whole place grinds to a halt.

I don't know how anyone can do it. The amount of cars we passed with just one person in them was ridiculous too. A crazy situation.

Also, the bus smells of ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I had to wimp out this morning because i was on the beer last night and left my bike in the office.

It took me a fcuking hour and a half to get into work on the bus. I rarely get it. Once or twice a year. If i was cycling it normally takes me between 35 and 38 minutes depending if i get lucky with traffic light sequences. When it rains in Dublin the whole place grinds to a halt.

I don't know how anyone can do it. The amount of cars we passed with just one person in them was ridiculous too. A crazy situation.

Also, the bus smells of ass.

Taking the bus once or twice a year is good for the soul. You'll enjoy your commute on the bike even more now tomorrow. And appreciate the fact that you can approximate your commute to a 3-minute window. Bliss.

Taking the bus once or twice a year is good for the soul. You'll enjoy your commute on the bike even more now tomorrow. And appreciate the fact that you can approximate your commute to a 3-minute window. Bliss.

Taking the bus is like a form of torture. I particularly like cycling on wet days because traffic is always at a standstill, so other road users have less chance to act the dick.

It would also have been nice to cycle in to clear off grotty hangover i have. That will have to wait for the cycle home this evening. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

1 - It wasn't just pissing rain, it was windy as well.

2 - I'm really close to my target for the year so under no pressure.

3 - No sign of it clearing up on Met Eireann.

4 - The bed was still warm.

5 - I can go out on the Sunday club spin instead.

Add me to the list please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

me too. i haven't been on the bike since saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭sheriff2

My route has changed for the winter.. so I'm no longer using Naas Road inbound, opting for the Grand Canal inbound instead in the evenings.
    So one less bicyclist on that road at night.

Grand Canal town to Grange Castle in the mornings still seems busy enough, around 8-8.30am.

How is the canal in the evening, i have been told to avoid due to the anti social behavior

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

I was on the list yesterday alright. Made up for it today. Added to the rain was a full on headwind, eased a little as I got towards town. Since I'd left a little early, there was no stress, and as another poster mentioned , helped to clear the hangover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Took the car in, I couldn't take another day of getting soaked. Then I realized that getting soaked was the better option....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

sheriff2 wrote: »
    How is the canal in the evening, i have been told to avoid due to the anti social behavior

The reason I started using it again recently was because I figured there'd be fewer shytebags around in the naff weather. So far that theory has paid off.
    Touch wood etc, but they don't seem to like the cold wind and rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ive been off the bike for 2 weeks counting tomorrow , mostly weather related

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Why is everyone hungover today? weather wasn't nearly as bad as it looked today, its just really dark

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I too was hungover, I just was fed up last night.This said it had one news worthy event for me came from it. I am too old for mid week drinking, that stage of my life is over. Time to see what being sober for 5 days straight is like on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

The reason I started using it again recently was because I figured there'd be fewer shytebags around in the naff weather. So far that theory has paid off.
    Touch wood etc, but they don't seem to like the cold wind and rain!

This is seemed to peak a week or two before Halloween and is very quiet now still a lot of drug related activity around the lock house at the 10/11th locks.

Had to drive in myself this morning that's the second time since July and my god was it awful took an hour and 5 mins to get in plus some guy almost rear ended me ending up beside me back to the bike tomorrow!!

I havnt thought of using the car yet and I don’t even cycle for fitness or pleasure.

Raingear, snood gloves and hood/hat should keep you going until it gets icy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

god bless any cyclists out there in dublin this evening. torrential showers with hail mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Thought the forecast was a lot better this morning so, having wimped out yesterday, I headed out about 10.30 for a solo spin along the coast. Howth was fine but the rain started around Baldoyle and by the time I got to Portrane it was cold and persistant. At least the Altura jacket kept the worst of it out but eveything else is either in the wash or on a radiator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

god bless any cyclists out there in dublin this evening. torrential showers with hail mixed in.

Just home, water bubbling up through manholes in glasnevin. Water flowing down the roads towards the Tolka River.

Advertisement