Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Its been a dismal couple of weeks, luckily didn't have to go into work the worst day (last wednesday), but the bike still preferable to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭alentejo

Possibly the wettest couple of weeks cycling in Dublin over the past 20 years. Looking forward for the inevitable payback mother nature will throw back at us cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not the right thread, but feel like I wimped out of Version 4 by going for Version 3 on the jersey order... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

had to be in work earlier than normal....
    heavy rain, wind and dark (dont like it)...
    took the train:(...at least i got a seat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That was EPIC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I wimped out yesterday, but paid for it today with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Got soaked through walking kids to school, was 20 min walk home to get the bike so whimped onto a bus. Would have preferred to be in my rain gear than soggy right now. One of the wettest days is a sea of wet days lately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I’m usually a smug “I’ll cycle in any weather” kinda cyclist, but the last two weeks are really testing me. I only have so many radiators! Usually there’s respite days in between torrential days, but I just keep getting caught and absolutely destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

no bike today took the car, left at 7.05, got into the office near baggott street at 9.15 from rathcoole

should have taken the soaking but its been a brutal november, wet throughout. just couldnt face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    no bike today took the car, left at 7.05, got into the office near baggott street at 9.15 from rathcoole

should have taken the soaking but its been a brutal november, wet throughout. just couldnt face it.

Jesus tonight, over 2hrs to drive what 18km? That's insufferable as bad an all as the weather is.
    Getting really sick of the soakings twice daily for over a week now but nothing can be as bad as stuck in that sort of traffic going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Cycled this morning - wasn't that bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i booked this week off as leave several weeks ago - have stuff on on thurs and fri but thought 'sure i might get out for a couple of longs spins on the bike if the weather is ok'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Im off tomorrow with the same thought, but not hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Been bike commuting for three years and this is the worst run of weather I can remember.
    Nowhere for me to dry clothes in work, so putting on the wet clothes to go home is the worst. I know I could just bring a spare pair for going home, but only have one pair of long bibs (until today when I ordered a second pair)
    The hailstones the other day were the lowlight - almost had to shelter but was close to home when they came

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Been bike commuting for three years and this is the worst run of weather I can remember.
    Nowhere for me to dry clothes in work, so putting on the wet clothes to go home is the worst. I know I could just bring a spare pair for going home, but only have one pair of long bibs (until today when I ordered a second pair)
    The hailstones the other day were the lowlight - almost had to shelter but was close to home when they came

This Autumn has been brutal. I've been commuting since I was 13(31 now), and I've never really stopped. This has to be one of the wettest Autumns I remember, I'd have always been one of those people who said "It rains a lot in Ireland, but you'd be surprised how dry it is between 8-9am and 5-6pm..." I take it back now...

I'm lucky, I have showers and am somewhat able to dry clothes in work. But I've been questioning my sanity this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

I'm flying through my emergency sock stash at work, some better waterproof shoes needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm flying through my emergency sock stash at work, some better waterproof shoes needed

Sandals and Sealskinz socks on the bike. Don't stay soggy when the rain stops (assuming it will ever again)...

It was positively balmy when I was headed for work, but that was 11.30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Cycled this am but left it as late as possible leaving at 8am and that head wind was cruel added a full 10 minutes to my commute, glad I did though as it took a neighbour 20mins longer to drive to the same place. The rain was stinging my face the wind was so strong at one point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

This Autumn has been brutal. I've been commuting since I was 13(31 now), and I've never really stopped. This has to be one of the wettest Autumns I remember, I'd have always been one of those people who said "It rains a lot in Ireland, but you'd be surprised how dry it is between 8-9am and 5-6pm..." I take it back now...

I'm lucky, I have showers and am somewhat able to dry clothes in work. But I've been questioning my sanity this year...
    I started in May. This is absolutely shocking weather recently. Today by far the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Have to say I much rather the wind and rain to ice. I came off twice last year on black ice/shaded corners I find it the hardest to judge as there could be no rain the previous evening near home but enough to cause issues 10k away and at that point you're committed to completing the journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Interesting results from Met Eireann:

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

Click on your relevant weather station. It seems this November has been the wettest in the last 9 years (I used this link to get more data https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data)

It also seems like weather from August has been super wet, Oh well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we've had standing water in our back garden to some degree for the guts of a month now.

Was it 2007 or 2008 when we had that really ****ty summer, rained non stop for about 6 weeks in May/June? I recall coming back from overseas at the time in August to be greeted by fierce winds and more ****ty weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I braved it this morning. . Felt great for getting out there in the lashings of rain and wind.
    Then I got a rear puncture. Tried to pump it up and my mini pump no longer pumps :mad:
    Walked home with my bike as I wasn't going to even try to change it in that weather.
    So a 30ish minute walk home *into* the wind and rain, and worked from home for the day.

..That walk of shame though :o

Interesting results from Met Eireann:

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

Don't forget to look at the variation across the country. Athenry for example has less than average rainfall for November while the Dublin area has twice the average rainfall. This year's 'Annual' rainfall figure is just the total of months so far so there is no December included as yet. Beware of that when comparing years.

Another nice product is the past weather statements at https://www.met.ie/climate/past-weather-statements. The main statement is a summary of each month's weather but there's also a 'Rainfall Graph' tab which gives you an idea of how a particular month stacks up against the 30-year climatological average. Look at the 'Archive' tab for monthly climate reports back to April 1986.
    Click on your relevant weather station. It seems this November has been the wettest in the last 9 years (I used this link to get more data https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data)

It also seems like weather from August has been super wet, Oh well!

If you're interested in geeking out, you can download the entire observation series for a station from the above link. Look for 'Download the full data series'. Data is available under a CC-BY creative commons license.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Was it 2007 or 2008 when we had that really ****ty summer, rained non stop for about 6 weeks in May/June? I recall coming back from overseas at the time in August to be greeted by fierce winds and more ****ty weather.

2007. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/washout-summer-beats-winter-with-49-days-rain-in-a-row-1.952316

2007, and I know that because of the mudbath that become of Punchestown during Oxegen. The ground never quite recovered.

It seems we had a run of it.
    • 2006: "Warmest, driest and sunniest summer since 1995."
    • 2007: "Wettest summer for 50 years in east..."
    • 2008: "Another very wet summer everywhere..."
    • 2009: "Another wet summer everywhere..."
    • 2010: "Warm and dry for most of season..."

https://www.met.ie/climate/past-weather-statements. Choose 'Archive' tab, select year and season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Got lucky today - rain hadn't started at 5.30am when I left the house and I got home at 4.30pm just before it started again! Got drowned yesterday morning though!

Advertisement