Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Block headwind and driving rain for 20 fcuking k home this eve, got blown out of my lane by a gust at one point.
    Miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah pretty ropey in Dublin heading west out the south quays. Usual tailgating and messing in the bus / bike lane didn’t help. Lots of standing water and nearly came a cropper on a few dodgy manhole covers. Was glad to reach the relative safety of the Phoenix park. Only saving grace was I had a tailwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Worst commute yet. Heading east on the quays had to get off a walk for a bit until I turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Not ashamed to say I bottled it tonight, got a 10 euro voucher from free now so hopped on a Luas to the terminal and got a taxi home, cost me €4.10 all in so a no brainer, but I did cycle a Dublin bike to the Luas so not a total wimp!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Yesterday evening was terrible BUT i had a lovely tailwind for about 10 k and I was flying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I kind of weirdly enjoyed Wednesday and Thursday last. Absolutely soaked through and my shoes were like I had been wading in a river, but nice warm fire and shower when I got home.

My commute is not long enough to get very cold - would be different if I had to deal with the torrential rain for an hour or more. Didn't have time to start shivering or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Fian wrote: »
    I kind of weirdly enjoyed Wednesday and Thursday last. Absolutely soaked through and my shoes were like I had been wading in a river, but nice warm fire and shower when I got home.

My commute is not long enough to get very cold - would be different if I had to deal with the torrential rain for an hour or more. Didn't have time to start shivering or anything.

I had Christmas drinks in the neighbours Thursday evening and they were all talking about how bad the traffic was, some took 1hr 45min to get home from city centre. Then one says “sure at least we weren’t cycling” while nodding at me and smiling. Yep, I got soaked through, but it took 34 minutes. Just like every other day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I absolutely loved it

CramCycle wrote: »
    I absolutely loved it

Freak

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I understand. There sometimes comes a point when you can't get any wetter, and if you're in a sort of relaxed zone, those type of cycles are more satisfying than the longest, highest ones.

That and the smug self satisfaction you get passing bumper to bumper traffic

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I understand. There sometimes comes a point when you can't get any wetter, and if you're in a sort of relaxed zone, those type of cycles are more satisfying than the longest, highest ones.

Nope.
    Also freak :p

When I'm on a spin I don't mind the weather, when I'm on my 2 hour a day commute I hate it.

That wind, hmm,, rest day methinks

Yep Sunday for me. Wild out there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Savage windy, turbo for me as a partial wimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What can you do about the parts of you that are getting the brunt of the wind freezing and not being able to warm them up? The building I work in is Baltic and I have quite sh!t circulation. (and I'm a wimp)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean fingers and toes? decent gloves and overshoes are your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any thoughts about tomorrow morning? Looks doable in Dublin as far as I can see, and the warning should be lifted by going-home time.

If Met Eireann are to be trusted, once your in by 10 you should be OK but If bring a lock to lock en route and busnit in case it rapidly changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I’m planning on cycling anyway, should be in the office by 8 and then it’s to calm down by 4, but will play it by ear as the day goes on. I wouldn’t wanna be out on the bike between 10 and 2 tho if in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm going for Luas and Dublin Bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Any thoughts about tomorrow morning? Looks doable in Dublin as far as I can see, and the warning should be lifted by going-home time.

Met Éireann seem to suggest bad weather tomorrow, with both increasing wind and rain. Yr.no suggest a bit of wind, but a good deal of rain in the evening. If it's just rain for a small-moderate commute home (5 mi / 8km), that tolerable, but a chance of high winds later, has a bit uncertain about tomorrow. I'm a maybe wimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't really have any choice -- never do; can't possibly get the kids to school by eight any other way -- but will have parked the cargo bike indoors by eight thirty, so think it'll be ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    If Met Eireann are to be trusted, once your in by 10 you should be OK but If bring a lock to lock en route and busnit in case it rapidly changes.
    not often you see wind in the 50s on the met site in dublin, for sure. but it seems quite concentrated between 10 and 2.

and the consistency of the wind is something they should forecast; i.e whether it will be steady or gusty.
    also worth noting if you live near the coast; there's a high spring tide at 13:20 tomorrow, so coastal roads may see inundation. though would i be right in thinking that the storm surge would be in the opposite direction in dublin?

well there was a severe lack of wind at 730 this morning on my commute.

rookie mistake, i make it all the time. 'hey it's really calm but i am in *flying* form this morning'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

We walked rather than cycled to school in Dublin this morning. The afternoon collection is going to be interesting... At least we'll have a tailwind but our route is heavily wooded.

Cycled in - wind starting to get up a bit in Dublin West. Train home for me is Plan B if it kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm going for Luas and Dublin Bike

A text from my OH told me Luas was much more of a mess than usual, my only other option was the Look. Got in relatively normally and I need to be in Goldenbridge at 6.30 this evening leaving Leeson St. area at 5.50 so it will be bike again once it's not completely mental outside

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

This morning was fine. Bit windy and annoying blanket of light rain but fine. This afternoon will probably be a different story. I hope it's all done and gone before close of business.

• Advertisement

Cycled in, was fine. Traffic wasn't bad at 7.45, but drivers were already being stupid and blocking up juncitons needlessly, so the bus would've been slow. I'll bus home and walk/jog in tomorrow.

Advertisement