Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was a tree down on griffith avenue on saturday, and the wind wasn't as strong as is expected today. at least the leaves are off the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I started to cycle in today not realizing the weather would be bad, got knocked off my bike by a gust of wind, decided to turn around about 10km through. I ended up flying along on the way back must have been against the wind the whole time. Didn't help being on a mountain bike and sitting upright with a heavy/big bag and a big jacket on, caught all the wind.
    Now working from home, I came on here to see if anyone else noticed the weather being bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

deceit wrote: »
    I started to cycle in today not realizing the weather would be bad, got knocked off my bike by a gust of wind, decided to turn around about 10km through. I ended up flying along on the way back must have been against the wind the whole time. Didn't help being on a mountain bike and sitting upright with a heavy/big bag and a big jacket on, caught all the wind.
    Now working from home, I came on here to see if anyone else noticed the weather being bad.

You didn't do any damage to yourself?

I'm debating cycling home this evening now, i think i might get the dirty, smelly bastid bus. I fookin' hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

CramCycle wrote: »
    well there was a severe lack of wind at 730 this morning on my commute.
    translation: tailwind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

avoid cycling near the finnis buoy at the moment.

https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/status/1216666991198601216

that's 113km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm debating cycling home this evening now, i think i might get the dirty, smelly bastid bus. I fookin' hate it.
    Not much, luckily my big thick jacket took most of the impact. Its only the second time I wore a jacket cycling so lucky I did :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

souter wrote: »
    translation: tailwind

Alas no, one of my slower commutes, just nothing at all, the odd gust head or tail wind but nothing of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

There's no orange warning in place for the evening commute. It'll probably step down to yellow at 3. That's just a windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

he coast; there's a high spring tide at 13:20 tomorrow, so coastal roads may see inundation. though would i be right in thinking that the storm surge would be in the opposite direction in dublin?
    "Storm Surge" is not about wind. It's about low pressure meaning that the sea surface is higher than usual.

Atmospheric pressure pushes down on the ocean surface. With variation in pressure, there's variation in water level. It's normally not that significant but, given that storm winds are associated with deep low pressure, you get higher than normal water levels. Storm surge is typically much less than tidal range so it only becomes significant near the top of the spring tides.

That said, with south/southwesterly winds, there won't be enough of a fetch to build up wave heights so that will mitigate matters on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

On the fence as well - if I leave the bike here I'll be walking home though, and it's 12km. Goes to show how much I despise the bus :)

• Advertisement

On the fence as well - if I leave the bike here I'll be walking home though, and it's 12km. Goes to show how much I despise the bus :)

Ha ha, fcuk it. I can't countenance bus or car any more because they're so awful. My commute is 12km too, sometimes the bus takes an hour and a half to do it. Simply shocking. You'd drive to Galway qucker than go across Dublin in a fcuking smelly bus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wind should be mostly okay by 5, but there are still some gusts of 60kmph forecast. Between that and the fact there's a dumping of rain in the afternoon, and impatient eejits in cars, I'm just going to bus it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Ha ha, fcuk it. I can't countenance bus or car any more because they're so awful. My commute is 12km too, sometimes the bus takes an hour and a half to do it. Simply shocking. You'd drive to Galway qucker than go across Dublin in a fcuking smelly bus.

Same, add in walking to bus stop and you’re looking at 1hr 45, at which you’ll walk 12km at a brisk pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Cycled Santry to Harold's Cross at 11.30. Was ok, against the wind all the way. Cycled back in strong winds and rainf around 1pm. Tree down on Clanbrassil St. Tailwind all the way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rain is due to clear by late afternoon, so I'll be taking the bike home unless things get noticeably worse.

Rain is due to clear by late afternoon, so I'll be taking the bike home unless things get noticeably worse.

It was a bit rowdy around lunchtime but it seems to have calmed down out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

City Centre was rough around 2pm but clearing up nicely now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Survived the school run. I got hit by the squall coming out of my estate but it wasn't too bad for South Dublin. Plenty of water on the roads. Child got a lift home with a neighbour.

wimped out again this morning. if i go in to the office, i leave just before 4, and over 5mm of rain forecast between 2 and 4pm kinda put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Wimped out yesterday. Cycled this morning. Glad I wore MTB shoes as I had to walk through mud a bit as the tracks were blocked in a few spots by trees and sandbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I wimped out yesterday as I didn’t leave myself enough time to battle the winds. I only drove to work 5 time’s in all of last year and I want to do less this year. Not a great start...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

I almost wimped out yesterday. Managed to get into work through the breeze, but going back home with a tailwind was well worth the morning struggle:):) My commute is only 11 km but I was 12 minutes faster on the way home compared to going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've been off the bike for two weeks with my fingers in a splint after I broke a finger cycling home one day. First journey on the bike later today. It's going to be a slog.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just putting my name down in advance for tomorrow.

Had a few gusts tonight on my way to vote that j did not like. Slowest commute in some time. Tree down on the royal canal near ashtown too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Weepsie wrote: »
    Just putting my name down in advance for tomorrow.

Had a few gusts tonight on my way to vote that j did not like. Slowest commute in some time. Tree down on the royal canal near ashtown too

Hoping that it might clear up a bit by lunchtime otherwise my 400+ day streak is coming to an end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Added myself to the list this morning - extra hour in bed and took the car to work when I heard the wind and rain around 5.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Charged the garmin and got my gear ready on the off chance of a spin this morning. Set the alarm for 7am - took one look out and went nah.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Came down for a cup of tea, seen a waterfall outside the back door, made tea, went back to bed, I am just going to write off Sunday.

Was out in the car. Plenty of minor flooding and brash on the roads of NCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It's weird still being in bed at 9 40am on a Sunday, feels kind of wrong.
    Turbo later for me.

Advertisement