Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

they seem to have forgotten to treat the cycle paths again this morning, had a dodgy moment descending the 'Sean Murphy Survival Route' segment (M50 bridge at Palmerstown).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some poor lad went flying off his bike in front of me on the quays cycle track. Massive patch of black ice.

I tell you what, it made me slow down considerably. If he wasn't there it would have been me.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Very icy in the estates in Lucan this morning, the cars were going sideways. I just stuck to the footpath. N4 ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Very icy in Ballycullen. I went out the gate of the house and turned left. The bike shot out from under me and i was left standing upright. I was very lucky.

When i was walking to the filthy, stinking bus. I saw a teenager fall off his bike twice. I had to tell him to walk. He wasn't able to figure out why he was falling off. Bleedin' dope. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Thargor wrote: »
    Black ice everywhere in Bray, it must have rained then froze, total ice rink. I fell once while creeping along with one foot on the ground before I even got out of the estate, cars slipping on the southern cross road, no gritting done?

I walked in on the grass verge anyway, should have went back and left the bike, half an hour late for work.

Some of the estates up that end of Bré must have been absolutely lethal. I came off doing about 1kph. Cycled down the grass to the road and it was grand all the way into town once you avoided the off-road path on the Killarney rd. Little Bray on was absolutely fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Lethal in Maynooth too glad I took the car reading this now, was considering walking the bike out of the estate past the worst of it but glad I didn't do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just a small bit of ice on the driveway and nothing on the main road beside the house so I headed off on the bike. What I overlooked was that I was heading out by Tallaght where there was quite a lot of ice - especially on the newly surfaced section of the N81 at Glenview.

I turned onto the R136 and both the bus lane and cycle track were covered in ice in places so at times I had to stay in the right lane. Surprisingly, drivers knew what I was doing as the ice in the other lanes was quite visible. I was afforded plenty of space and passed at slow speeds - with the notable exception of a taxi driver who laid on the horn and passed shouting something out the passenger window at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m here all week. The negative figures just put me off. I’d rather drive for a week than miss a few weeks because I fell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Not in work today but woke up to messages on the estate’s WhatsApp group from a neighbour who went to take the curve at the end of the road and ended up just continuing straight, mounting the green. I left in the car about 8am and it was still an ice rink. Saw lots of people pushing bikes, cycling in grass verges, or ignoring cycle tracks and planting themselves in the centre of the driving lane. Lots of patience from motorists thankfully.

When i was plonked on the bus, i could see a lot of cyclists nearly coming off at the Circle K the Rathgar side of Rathmines. It looked like there was black ice on the double yellow lines. I saw three of four nearly face plant as they were pulling off at the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Out the door at 5.30am and back in again at 5.31am. Evidence of black ice after a few meters put me right off. Time for a leisurely breakfast now.

Left the house at 5.30am also! Very ropey between my home and the N11. N11 cycle lane wasn’t great either - very dodgy in places, so cycled in the bus lane most of the way! Thankfully arrived safely in the office and a very hot shower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Took me an hour and half to get from Deansgrange to Citywest this morning. Was ok once you paid attention to the surface, low speed and high cadence.

Saw a few people come off. Nothing serious, mostly going too fast and then panic breaking.

Seems to be mostly slush by now but there were some very sketchy parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was fine thankfully in the Mid-West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Dodgy out there this morning. I put on ice tyres and even they struggled in parts. Saw a few people come off on the canal track. The roads may have been gritted but sleet looked to have fallen and then froze. Some drivers where still idiots and lots of crashes on obvious ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

tnegun wrote: »
    Lethal in Maynooth too glad I took the car reading this now, was considering walking the bike out of the estate past the worst of it
    Once out of the estate (do they use a special ice-attracting tarmac?) the roads were grand: Celbridge, Pike Bridge and Dublin rds. I avoided the nice new wide cycle path past Intel, tho, it looked like a piste.

Dodgy out there this morning. I put on ice tyres and even they struggled in parts. Saw a few people come off on the canal track. The roads may have been gritted but sleet looked to have fallen and then froze. Some drivers where still idiots and lots of crashes on obvious ice.

Yeah, i think there had to be a shower of rain/snow and then it froze.

It always amazes me to see people zooming around when the roads are lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah pretty lethal commute and regretted not taking the train in. Had to walk the bike out my estate, which usually doesn't get the morning sun, and was expecting the main roads in the estate to be better. Wasn't to be the case - lots of black ice and had to get off and walk the bike around one corner near where I live.

Took the road through the Phoenix park and that wasn't too bad, but saw a few cyclists come a cropper in the park on the cycle track. Cycle tracks were lethal. Had to get off and walk the bike round the roundabout at the Aras. Never thought I'd be so happy to see ten quays ,wasn't too bad from there on in.

boardbeer wrote: »
    Once out of the estate (do they use a special ice-attracting tarmac?)

No but the gritter comes nowhere near it!! The main road had several passes but paths looked bad and could see ice in spots. Saw one guy cycling on the paths at Intel fair play to him they were very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

tnegun wrote: »
    No but the gritter comes nowhere near it!! The main road had several passes but paths looked bad and could see ice in spots. Saw one guy cycling on the paths at Intel fair play to him they were very bad.

I didn't see much evidence of gritting on the main roads - I wonder were they gritted at all. The difference is that the volume of car traffic thaws the ice so they're mainly ok compared to footpaths, cyclepaths and quieter roads. I was ok today, my commute is generally on main roads.

Unusual conditions caught a lot of people out. Saw a couple of motorbikes slipping. It's pretty rare to have a hard freeze following rain like that. Normally cold is accompanied with dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ngunners wrote: »
    There must have been something in the air so yesterday. I got taken out of it by a car whose driver didn't look right or stop at a stop sign in Dublin city centre. Driver completely owned up and there were a couple of witnesses. I was lucky to only have some bad bruises... Quite sore today. My bike took the brunt of the damage.

I got everyone's details. But as this is my first (and hopefully last) time to be knocked over by a careless driver I'm wondering what my next step should be? Should I report it to the guards? Or just sort it out ourselves? The guy was very remorseful and promised to repair all damages.
    Gardai, driver's insurance co, doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi!
    I cycled 20km to work
    ...left at about 7am... The roads around my home had a shiny, icy surface... Made it to the coast path... Was okay in parts and dodgy at corners... Then along the Dodder was well dodgy.. some walkers kindly pointed out the ice to me...
    Long story short.. i made it to work
    .. went quite slow and carefully
    ... But in retrospect... This morning was dangerous & i should have driven /.dart to work....

Glad I I drove today. Chatting at lunch and 2 guys in work fell this am one twice and were very sore. Another helped a guy up who fell on his face and said there was a lot of blood :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Myself and everyone I know who cycles into work hit the ground hard this morning, a couple of them multiple times, sounds like a freak weather event tbh way worse than a normal freeze, never seen such a bad morning for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Opinions on early tomorrow morning on the east coast??

The reason I wimped out so quickly after setting out this morning is that I live about 50 meters from the sea. When there's black ice near my house, I know it can only get worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Met eireann are predicting 6C on the east coast tomorrow morning, so should be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

They also have a yellow snow/ice warning for the east coast until 10am tomorrow morning, so I wouldn't be too confident in the 6deg. Hopefully you're right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Icy out there today. I live near enough the sea so didn't think it was as bad as it was. Going through the Phoenix park was dodge, I went on the road from the second roundabout.
    Every non main road this morning was icy.
    Grand coming home though.

I have high hopes for tomorrow. I preferred the blind snowy hideousness of yesterday to the sunny hidden icy-ness of this morning. I'm glad I'm on a fixie when it gets icy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eeeee wrote: »
    ... I'm glad I'm on a fixie when it gets icy though.
    :confused::confused::confused:

I'd much prefer to free wheel if I thought I was on an icy surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

There is nothing more depressing as a cyclist to see the weekend forecast as it currently is.

Advance notice for a Saturday wimp being posted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

:confused::confused::confused:

I'd much prefer to free wheel if I thought I was on an icy surface.

Nah it's better IMO to be able to pedal smoothly and steady through, with even pressure, no wild changes or twitches or accelerations or decelerations.
    You kind of have to ride fixie's and track bikes like that, it happens kind of naturally even, if you're any way efficient.

Advertisement