Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eeeee wrote: »
    Nah it's better IMO to be able to pedal smoothly and steady through, with even pressure, no wild changes or twitches or accelerations or decelerations.
    You kind of have to ride fixie's and track bikes like that, it happens kind of naturally even, if you're any way efficient.
    I'll have to flip my hub more often!

Raining at the minute and noticeably milder than last night and today so bar the wind and the wet we should be fine.

Our estate this morning at 7:30 was like glass but I'd seen the gritter out last night beyond that on the main road which was grand so walked with the bike that far. I've only 4km to go so didn't get warmed up at all and I was seriously glad of the porridge in the canteen when I got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭boardbeer

:confused::confused::confused:
    I'd much prefer to free wheel if I thought I was on an icy surface.
    I'm with eeeee... I like the feedback of a fixed gear on ice or gravel, seems to give advanced notice of slips. To quote the late, great Sheldon Brown:
    fixed gear gives you a very direct feel for traction conditions on slippery surfaces. This makes a fixed gear particularly suitable for riding in rainy or icy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I checked the weather before leaving the house yesterday, saw it was 2 degrees and headed on my merry way. It was only half way through that I hit the really icy spots. If I knew how bad it was before setting out I would have gladly joined the wimp list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I've not biked all week, apart from my last stint across town on a Dublin Bike, just not worth the risk, especially since my shoulder still isn't 100%.

Going along the south side of St.Stephens Green a car came into the cycle lane and undertook the rest of the traffic going about 3/4's of the length. This is a good wide mandatory cycle lane. I have his reg and am going to report him, I would never be compelled to report but that level of selfishness is just unreal, even more so in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Wimped out this morning. Mainly because I haven't been on the bike for a while due to various non wimping out reasons, but this morning it was dark, lashing rain, freezing cold, and windy. I didn't fancy my first day back being like that, so I drove to work.
    Regretted it within 15mins of leaving my front door (and not having gotten very far).
    Won't make that mistake again!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Wimped out this morning. Mainly because I haven't been on the bike for a while due to various non wimping out reasons, but this morning it was dark, lashing rain, freezing cold, and windy. I didn't fancy my first day back being like that, so I drove to work.
    Regretted it within 15mins of leaving my front door (and not having gotten very far).

It's always the same way. Near instant regret when you decide to drive or take the stinking bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I waited for the heavy stuff to pass, then left the house under a clear blue sky, with a certain air of smug about me. Then got pelted out of it by the next shower. Win some, lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not a bad week to get a subscription to the whimp list with the schools being off. Lied in bed an hour listening to the rain contemplating what to do before eventually bussing it after checking out the rainfall radar.

It's just crap all week. I'm wimping it on the electric bike these days. I just can't handle the bloody wind against me going home, it adds another ten minutes onto my commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I was expecting rain this morning so I checked the rainfall radar when I woke up - it was all shades of blue and green. I got up to 'nowcast' by looking out the window - yep it was raining alright and I got soaked yesterday morning so I decided to drive which bought me 30 mins so I went back to bed. As I prepared to doze, I though about the drive to work and the traffic and the M50 and I jumped out of bed, got myself sorted and cycled to work. My gear is drying beside the radiator as I type and the wind will be at my back on the way home so I'm glad I didn't drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the biggest reason for me regularly wimping out is the ability to work from home whenever i feel like it; i don't have to face another form of transport if i do wimp out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Semi wimped out, woken up 20 mins before my alarm to hail battering the window. Working from home until the heavy stuff passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've a pain in my ass with it. Knew it was suppose to clear and held on as late as possible until it was time to shower and get the bus, or miss it altogether.

15 minute walk down to the bus stop and it's nicely cleared up. I'm willing it to piss rain again so I can feel that bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Cycled on Monday but I've driven in every other day. With the non existent traffic this week and the crap weather, its just too easy to wimp out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Hasn't been too bad this week down here in the SE (though far from sunny) . Wednesday was the worst, but it's the day I have to drive as I need to collect the young lad anyway (usually this sees mild and sunny Wednesdays). Thought about wimping this morning when it was pelting rain around 6:45, but it had eased off by 7:30 when I was leaving. Just as well as it turned into a slog into a lively headwind which at the moment is still shaping up to be a nice tailwind on the way home

Cycled the non-electric bike in this morning. Think i'm going to regret the decision this evening. There was some shower of hailstones at lunch time. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I've been cycling half way and then getting on the Dart with the bike for the other half. Have to say I was glad to see the Dart arrive this evening - it was cold and windy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I am so over this wind. I don't mind rain, snow, hail, but wind makes it so grim. Every day heading into a block headwind the whole hour into work. And next week looks shyte too.
    Ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I am so over this wind. I don't mind rain, snow, hail, but wind makes it so grim. Every day heading into a block headwind the whole hour into work. And next week looks shyte too.
    Ugh!

Yeah, but the cycle home? Woooosssshhh!!!

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yeah, but the cycle home? Woooosssshhh!!!

I get a solid cross tail home. The wind seems to change slightly about 3pm most days to deny me that sweet sweet tailwind. That makes up a significant amount of my wind hate. It'd almost make me not want to ride a fixie into it every morning.
    Almost. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ugh!

Yep. I feel your pain. Bring on Spring - soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

crosstownk wrote: »

Oh god please let it end.

Another commute into a block headwind today. This has to count as training right? Because I"m too shattered to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I get a solid cross tail home. The wind seems to change slightly about 3pm most days to deny me that sweet sweet tailwind. That makes up a significant amount of my wind hate. It'd almost make me not want to ride a fixie into it every morning.
    Almost. :pac:
    I'm so jealous I have the opposite some tail wind in the am but a mother of a head wind on the way home, had to cycle hard down a hill yesterday to maintain 20kph!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

crosstownk wrote: »

Working on it...

tnegun wrote: »
    I'm so jealous I have the opposite some tail wind in the am but a mother of a head wind on the way home, had to cycle hard down a hill yesterday to maintain 20kph!!

Yikes that's tough.

It's grim out there.
    cdaly_ can you have a word and stop this windy business?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Did wimp this morning as was looking at crosswinds gusting at 40-50kmph in both directions. Yeah. Wind. Enough already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

The last month has been really tough, the wind has been relentless!

C3PO wrote: »
    The last month has been really tough, the wind has been relentless!

It's over 30kph ever fcuking day. I've a pain in my hole with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see monday afternoon is due to be a bit wild again. met eireann forecasting westerlies of 50km/h+ in dublin.

Advertisement