Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Looks windy down south but dry mostly,KOM weather!

head out the door & worry about the weather on the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thargor wrote: »
    Forecasts were for the same today and apart from one shower in the morning
    not on the northside of dublin, it was basically 30 mins of no rain, followed by 10 mins of downpours, rinse and repeat for most of the day it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

There’s no way I’m going out in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah sign me up this morning. Feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

day for the trainer a bit cold to be getting soaked and the bike getting filty .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Wimp. Here

Ny brother sent me a photo from his spin. Ge was going through a stream on the road

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Adding myself to the list this morning. I got up at 5.30 with the intention of cycling to work but, with the wind howling outside, Mrs WA was having none of it. :(

I am only 12km short of completing the Strava October Endurance Challenge (1600km) and today's the last day. I suppose I could get out after work at 9pm but I know that I won't feel like it when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Adding myself to the list this morning. I got up at 5.30 with the intention of cycling to work but, with the wind howling outside, Mrs WA was having none of it. :(

I am only 12km short of completing the Strava October Endurance Challenge (1600km) and today's the last day. I suppose I could get out after work at 9pm but I know that I won't feel like it when I get home.

Surprised you dont have a spare hack bike in work for a sneaky lunchtime spin WA :)

secman wrote: »
    Surprised you dont have a spare hack bike in work for a sneaky lunchtime spin WA :)
    I've been toying with that idea a few times lately as I've an old MTB hanging up in the garage at home which is rarely used.(And I've plenty of off-road around my workplace).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Got up, looked out the window, got back into bed.

Pure white roads down in sunny southeast..club spin abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

How does one cycle safely in these conditions? I'll be on 38s with a reasonable thread? Low pressure and take it handy?

Are you actually better off in snow as there's more grip?

a148pro wrote: »
    .. on 38s with a reasonable thread? ...
    Width or tread won't make any difference on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

zero degrees black ice on roads. dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Width or tread won't make any difference on ice.

Makes sense I suppose, but how do lads head out in sub zero then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Dry roads and sub zero is ok.

it's a little misty out here too.

As has been said, dry roads may be ok. Some stick to treated roads only if there is a danger of ice. Local authorities usually have information on which roads they treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Suprisingly little ice on the roads here this morning but club spin cancelled because of thick fog, just the excuse needed to take the CX bike up the Curragh.

Met a few local lads on the road as I was coming home but they were taking a chance, visibility is poor and getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Minus 3.8 in the Phoenix park this morning and some lunatic passed me with shorts on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

nilhg wrote: »
    Suprisingly little ice on the roads here this morning but club spin cancelled because of thick fog, just the excuse needed to take the CX bike up the Curragh.

Met a few local lads on the road as I was coming home but they were taking a chance, visibility is poor and getting worse.

They weren't wearing tracksuits and runners, were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

cletus wrote: »
    They weren't wearing tracksuits and runners, were they?

No, the two I met are both long past that stage.

Tracksuits and runners on a morning like that doesn't bare thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

nilhg wrote: »
    No, the two I met are both long past that stage.

Tracksuits and runners on a morning like that doesn't bare thinking about.

I completely wimped out this morning, but as I was heading down to pick up some breakfast supplies, I was passed by 3 fellas in tracksuits, runners and hoodies. It looked extremely unpleasant...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Was gunning to go out this morning but the roads were too bad.

The visibility was quite poor - was out in the car and went through a Garda checkpoint, and you could only see the flashing lights from maybe 100m away at a rough guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

Roads were absolutely lethal around Shankill and Bray this morning! Left it until about 11 and had a very pleasant spin!

Headed out close to one ish, met a club mate and stayed on a main road, lovely winter sunshine, at about 25km we hit a wall of fog, we were happy to turn back into the sunshine and ended up with a nice 50km spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe I should have taken the hint from having to pour hot water on the shed padlock to get the bike out, but I headed out anyway. Quite frosty in patches around Dundrum and Stillorgan. I headed for the coast and the CMR was a lot better. Still a few eejits beeping from cars or commenting from the forrtpath as to why I was 'in the middle of the road' and not on the icy cycle paths!

Speaking of which, on much of the roads, there seemed to be a dry channel between two wet sections, with the wet sections coinciding with tyre paths. Which is the safer option - to follow the wet tyre paths (which would have had lots of friction from tyres) or the central drier section (which might be more likely to have hidden black ice patches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Chucking the studded ice tyres on the cx bike this evening but even then will be picking my times to go out. Fair bit of ice up in Ticknock this afternoon, not a problem on the trails but the tarmac bits were sketchy. Low sunlight also didn't help matters.

Advertisement