Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I'm in today..wet is not the word for it.. even the birds have wimped today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Non runner for club spin, too wet so knocked out 4hrs on the turbo....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

dahat wrote: »

536064.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Do you get good value for the Turbo?

Ive a new bike coming shortly, a CX to go with a road bike and a hybrid. Part of me is wondering if I'd be better off getting a turbo.

(I suppose bottom line is I am much more excited by the prospect of a Cross).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Ive a new bike coming shortly, a CX to go with a road bike and a hybrid. Part of me is wondering if I'd be better off getting a turbo.

Dahat seems too, and I enjoyed Zwift while I had one but to be honest, my opinion is unless you are training to become a very competitive athlete or need it for health reasons, I'd get the cross bike. I sold my smart trainer and I'll never go back, spent my spare time over the last month or two spinning round random dirt tracks etc and while its not fast like a DH MTB, it is good craic

• Advertisement

I get great value from it, 3 sessions per week in winter with option there for frozen roads if needed. While I use Zwift it's more for a visual distraction as my sessions are pre determined by a coach. Zwift racing is hectic and needs to be done right but there is a place for it in most training plans.

A cross bike or gravel bike would be equally as much fun so it really depends on what you want from the bike. Most folk hate the turbo but few hate cycling outdoors so choose wisely....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Most folk hate the turbo but few hate cycling outdoors so choose wisely....
    I personally think a lot of it comes down to set up as well. I've a permanent space, bike and turbo permanently set-up, two TV's for zwift/ spotify/ netflix/ prime/ chromecast (delete as applicable to the cognitive load I can handle), two air movers.

Also, for me it's a form of exercise that I can fit in around family and work much less disruptively than outdoor spins or training. I've come to the conclusion that I'm process driven, so like following a training plan. And I want to get faster, even if I'm still on the fence about giving racing another go.

I'd take turbo over being cold and wet outside all the time. First winter in a club cycling, I was out all weathers. When I wasn't sick from being out in all weathers.

I absolutely love rollers, but I can't roll in my place due to neighbours (can only roll outside in the public park next to me, and only then when it's not raining or too cold), so I got a turbo and it's teeth itchingly boring.
    I do structured workouts on both, but I'd die of boredom doing more than an hour of very structured, relatively intense work on on a turbo. You don't need to handle the bike on them at all, just pedal. You can work to higher power on them, but everything you do on rollers directly transfers to the bike off rollers, it's not the same on the turbo cos you don't have to handle the bike. It's a necessary evil for me, I'm not a lover of a solo road spin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

PRetty much all of my cycling is solo. Of the 38k I've done in the 6/7 years since I took to bike and didn't look back, I'd say about 2500 of them at most were with other people. I am happy out just being alone with my thoughts and scenery.

I didn't always enjoy the turbo, but getting a smart one with realistic (to me at least) gradient replication and nice feel to it made me enjoy it a lot more.

eeeee wrote: »
    I absolutely love rollers, but I can't roll in my place due to neighbours (can only roll outside in the public park next to me, and only then when it's not raining or too cold), so I got a turbo and it's teeth itchingly boring.
    I do structured workouts on both, but I'd die of boredom doing more than an hour of very structured, relatively intense work on on a turbo. You don't need to handle the bike on them at all, just pedal. You can work to higher power on them, but everything you do on rollers directly transfers to the bike off rollers, it's not the same on the turbo cos you don't have to handle the bike. It's a necessary evil for me, I'm not a lover of a solo road spin.

Bit disappointed to find out after years of cycling how little I know about it.

I had never even hear of rollers.

They look unstable? Or specifically, and more to your point, you'd need to be fairly skilled to use them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEYHzdd74x8

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I personally think a lot of it comes down to set up as well. I've a permanent space, bike and turbo permanently set-up, two TV's for zwift/ spotify/ netflix/ prime/ chromecast (delete as applicable to the cognitive load I can handle), two air movers.

Also, for me it's a form of exercise that I can fit in around family and work much less disruptively than outdoor spins or training. I've come to the conclusion that I'm process driven, so like following a training plan. And I want to get faster, even if I'm still on the fence about giving racing another go.

I'd take turbo over being cold and wet outside all the time. First winter in a club cycling, I was out all weathers. When I wasn't sick from being out in all weathers.
    Thats it really - I mostly just want to go out for a spin, fresh air, have a look about and get some exercise all in one.

Other days, I need to do an hours exercise because sitting around all day isnt good for you. Turbo might be the better option here.

Anyway- a good thing about not spending lots of money on a car, is that you can justify spending more money on bike & accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

eeeee wrote: »
    You don't need to handle the bike on them at all, just pedal.
    Well I was out with the club last week, and definitely noticed not being out for a while on some of the technical descents we went down. I know not the same as the handling from rollers, but took me a while to adjust. I have been out on a few solo spins, but I wasn't aware I was so obviously taking it handy down hill until I was out with others.

Endurance and tempo workouts I'll quite happily go through netflix seasons. Sweet spot I can just about get away with something without subtitles or watching racing or catch up on podcasts, at least for the first few intervals. Above that, I listen to music. I feel like I get the benefits of catching up on those things as well as the workout - again, stuff I don't really get the chance with work and family commitments (and conflicted watch/ listen lists!).

Bit disappointed to find out after years of cycling how little I know about it.

I had never even hear of rollers.

They look unstable? Or specifically, and more to your point, you'd need to be fairly skilled to use them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEYHzdd74x8

You get used to them pretty quick. They're great for your core and your skills, I do a lot of cadence work cos I'm a track rider and they're brilliant for that. There's no point in putting out huge wattage on a turbo and being all over the place on the bike, once you get out on track or the road you can't get it out. Rollers are good for getting that power out smoothly, using your body properly and handling your bike whilst you're at it.
    You can't hit the same power though. I'd choose rollers over turbo every day of the week for all indoor sessions tbh.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Well I was out with the club last week, and definitely noticed not being out for a while on some of the technical descents we went down. I know not the same as the handling from rollers, but took me a while to adjust. I have been out on a few solo spins, but I wasn't aware I was so obviously taking it handy down hill until I was out with others.

I definitely noticed this too with descending after the first lockdown. I have no big hills near me, urban area can't build up real speed etc. It took a couple of spins to learn how to go fast again out on the road! It's a perishable skill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

didn't go out this morning cos it looked icy and cold (1C when i woke i think) and 26km/h winds - and i was also conscious of flooding and brash on the roads. just back after running an errand in the car, and it's fine...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

didn't go out this morning cos it looked icy and cold (1C when i woke i think) and 26km/h winds - and i was also conscious of flooding and brash on the roads. just back after running an errand in the car, and it's fine...
    My car had frost on it this morning. Walked up to the shops to get milk and it was bitterly cold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Sign me up, planned on a spin this am with a friend the first since the first week in December. Got up and checked the roads at 7 everything was white with frost there was no ice as it was dry but we decided we just wouldn't enjoy it so will try again for tomorrow but looks like more of the same for tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Just call me a big fat wimp - planned to get the car valeted then cycle on to work - no chance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cheers for keeping the wheels of public transport turning all year wheel01 - must be a fairly thankless job in Covid times.

I've been in here for 8 days now- not a pedal turned :eek:
    I'm still down home and the The nearest salted road is 2 miles away. White and icy the whole way there :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I went out for a run this morning as I didn't have time to head out on the bike for a decent ride. Saw a fair few people out on bikes, (mostly in groups of two for some reason).
    Anyhow, on both the paths and roads there was enough black ice in the shaded spots to make me think that I made the right call to leave the bike at home. Stay safe if you're heading out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

3km done today. The road in the estate was like a bottle and about a km out the main road I met a club mate on his way back from a spin. He said it was fairly treacherous out so I just pulled the plug on proceedings and came back home for an hour on the turbo. Too soon after my latest adventure in orthopaedics to be writing another chapter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i drank a barrel aged stout that blew the brains off me last night so settled for a nice walk instead today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was just out for a walk, footpaths already slippy.

https://twitter.com/METclimate/status/1345109847432433665

apparently (i had to ask and look this up) the mention of warming is a red herring to those who don't speak meteorologese, this is the sort of conditions which led to the beast from the east.

was just out for a walk, footpaths already slippy.

Yeah anything the sun didn't touch today for long enough was lethal come around 4pm when I was heading out with the girls. Took one look at the footpath and marched them back in much to their disgust but wee bikes and scooters wouldn't have stood a chance.

I was looking to head out in the morning but I'm having a beer now, had the dog over to the main road there a while ago and it hasn't seen a gritter yet so to hell with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Anybody been out yet in Dublin.
    The overnight frost seems to have thawed and roads are now wet in D8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Skipped yesterday and am skipping today the roads are wet with ice underneath around here took the car out for a look locally and lots of black ice and slippage around Maynooth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Took a leap into some whin bushes on my way around the Sugar Loaf today :o

do you smell all coconutty now?

• Advertisement

Wimp list for the foreseeable, I’ve had bad experiences with sketchy road conditions this time of year before.

Time for the Wahoo to earn its keep.

Advertisement