Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Cycled every day this week (including last Sunday) except for today as I have to go some where after work.

The head wind last night was something else around Stepaside

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

godtabh wrote: »
    The head wind last night was something else around Stepaside

Pretty bad last night ok, coming back from UCD after a training session. Would loved to have had it behind me, but it never seems to happen that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

seamus wrote: »
    but rest assured I am raging that I'm not out cycling, even in this weather ;)
    Would love to be out in it myself but I'm laid up following an accident last week (broke 2 ribs and a collarbone). :(

Hopefully it means a new bike! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Would love to be out in it myself but I'm laid up following an accident last week (broke 2 ribs and a collarbone). :(

ah I wish you a full recovery soon Wishbone Ash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Cold and windy over the Sally Gap this morning. Got caught by the hailstones 5km from home in Kilternan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Bloody baltic out there, with 360 degree crosswind.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

I feel fine about things tbh (weather-wise). 100 or so km tomorrow at 9:00 in North Tipp. Should be a wet and windy one :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

I hope you cycled to and from the hospital :D

Kidding, get well soon! And of course buy a new bike:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

anyone cycling in this awful cold wet windy miserable weather:eek:
    Yeah, and I am the only local wimp distance bike commuter, as far as I can see. On the bike every day, twice a day. Just got home from work, 71km covered today on my commuting.
    Two weeks ago passed my first full year on the bike. Happy as Larry :).

Seweryn wrote: »
    Two weeks ago passed my first full year on the bike. Happy as Larry :).

Belated Happy Anniversary :) , & Happy Cycling throughout your second year too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

My overshoes arrived this evening so toasty feet on the 100k spin tomorrow starting in Dunshaughlin

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Belated Happy Anniversary :) , & Happy Cycling throughout your second year too!
    Thank you very much :).

I like my commuting spins quite a lot. The only regret I have at this point is... why did I not get into it two, three, five, ten, fifteen years ago...? Oh dear. Well, on the other hand, better late than never ;).

I am sorry to read that. Recover soon and get on your...
    ...new shiny, lovely bike :).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Going to be an interesting next few days weather wise.
    Don't take the rear disc to work tomorrow.

Planet X wrote: »
    Going to be an interesting next few days weather wise.
    Don't take the rear disc to work tomorrow.
    Hmm... Will have to dust off my leg warmers :rolleyes:.

Edit:
    Just checked few weather forecast websites and it doesn't look that bad really. Rather mild, bit windy and rather wet, but nothing out of our ordinary.

Hope you all stay safe out there you brave folks staying off the 'wimp-list' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Brass monkeys out there this morning, 1 or 2 ice patches around killumney never went above 4 or 5 degrees :eek: and to rub salt in the wounds started raining coming through kinsale about noon. Feet up and sunday roast needed to recover :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

100k done. Name isn't on the list today :).

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    100k done. Name isn't on the list today :).

70k done in the pm. Nippy but lovely out

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

119km done - coldest I've been on the bike so far this year. Hurray for thermals :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

brasshead wrote: »
    119km done - coldest I've been on the bike so far this year. Hurray for thermals :D

Hmm.. I think thermals might qualify you for the wimp list alright. HTFU next time, 'k?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Spent over an hour in the gym on the exercise bike watching the track cycling today.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

Hmm.. I think thermals might qualify you for the wimp list alright. HTFU next time, 'k?

yep, I've gone and broken rule 5. Must. try. harder

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Signing on the wimp list for today. My head cold has migrated into my chest, and usually I would just follow rule 5 and keep riding, but I know from past experience that this just drags out the cough for 3 days longer than it needs to. So I'm hoping a day off the bike will have me back to full service by Wednesday...

seamus wrote: »
    Signing on the wimp list for today. My head cold has migrated into my chest, and usually I would just follow rule 5 and keep riding, but I know from past experience that this just drags out the cough for 3 days longer than it needs to. So I'm hoping a day off the bike will have me back to full service by Wednesday...
    Get well soon!

I cycled as usual, but much faster :D. Jeeez... the wind...
    I hope it will change direction on my way back home :pac: (haha, don't think so).

What a morning... Wind was blowing, roads very wet, but only few drops from the sky when I was leaving home, so did not put the rain jacket on.
    How wrong decision that was... 10 minutes later the rain was lashing and the only way to stay warm was to keep the pace on the higher side. At the end it wasn't that bad, but my jacket and the base layer have now 8 hours to get dry(-ier).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Woke up with a very sore back, mistake 1. Strong headwind all the way in to work, mistake 2. Not feeling very well anyway, mistake 3.

This cycling lark is SH!T.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Cross winds and sideways rain on the way in...what fun! To top that, I made the stupid mistake of cleaning the bike the last night, just undid all that work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Lucked out this morning. Lashing when I got up. Cycled in against a big wind but only spitting rain. Get to the bike shed and the heavens opened. Only "complaint" was that I was too warm because I had put on leggings for the first time since about February.

I'll probably puncture on the way home now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

My short commute usually means I tip away fine but this morning I had to drop the car over to Tallaght and the only Renault main dealer left in Dublin. I had the bike in the boot and rode into town. The driving rain on the M50 didn't make it an appealing prospect but it had eased off a bit by the time I was in the saddle. It was mostly downhill with the wind helping so it wasn't too bad. Stayed reasonably dry but am now barefoot hoping my socks will have dried before I have to go anywhere.

Advertisement