Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭alentejo

Took the car to work today. Excuse is that I need to do the weekly shopping on the way home (honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Most of this week has been crap. I for one was not bothering with all the wind :(

Firmly on the wimp list!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny, i think week was the first time in a couple of months where i got out two days in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭cletus

Haven't been out on the bike in two weeks. I have, instead, been insulating my shed, and very cosy it is out there too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I haven't really cycles for the sake of cycling since the lockdown #1.
    Back then I head out on my (road) bike after having covid and cycles through fields and up tractor tracks over the Hellfire (via Carthy's Castle for those who know the area), since then I've been too busy to get out between moving house and starting a new job.

Given the sunshine during the week I pulled my bike off the wall and went about adjusting, cleaning and prepping everything so I could try and get a few local laps in and the of course, solid cold rain for days.
    That's me back on the wimp list.

I am still excited to get out again, I haven't paraded in lycra in years to be honest so it'll be great to put some solid runs in when we can get passed 5km.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I put on my skinsuit for some reason for the commute. Well I tell you something, thanks to the Covid weight, I think I saved myself the cost of a vasectomy when I stood up straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Bit of a rest day today..

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

A bit over 100km over 4 evenings this week. I find that an hour or so is enough with the 5km restrictions. It's a chore after that. Weather has been ok up our way. One advantage of the 5km restrictions is you're not facing into the wind for too long at a time. Dodging potholes is the new challenge. They're everywhere after the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

tigerboon wrote: »
    A bit over 100km over 4 evenings this week. I find that an hour or so is enough with the 5km restrictions. It's a chore after that. Weather has been ok up our way. One advantage of the 5km restrictions is you're not facing into the wind for too long at a time. Dodging potholes is the new challenge. They're everywhere after the snow.

You're spot on about an hour being enough with restrictions.
    There's no sense of getting anywhere, no feel of exploration.
    Laps of the estate get old pretty damn quick.

Doesn't help explain why I want a turbo now. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blergh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭secman

It just seems that Jan Feb 21 have been wretched weather wise for cyclists compared to previous years, wimped out this morning, couldn't be arsed getting the winter bike full of crud, having recently had to get a mid winter service on all the cable inners and outers and brake pads. Tomorrow looks promising :)

This time last year was terrible too weather wise. Then we got that great stretch during first lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Jesus I’m sick of this weather. Decent weather during week and as soon as weekends come it’s dire.
    Not motivated to cycle in same 5km radius in poor weather at all these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I can take the rain no problem (thank you MR Gore0-tex) and I can stand the wind as it's a bit of a test, but the combo of them can be a bit disheartening, especially when you're out on your own as I am pretty much all of the time. That and I can't be arsed cleaning the bike after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Supposed to rain in Dublin til 5pm,so thats today ruled out.I did 1 hour per day Mon - Thurs this week and tomorrow is forecast to be dry.Will do a few laps of Howth.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I can take the rain no problem (thank you MR Gore0-tex) and I can stand the wind as it's a bit of a test, but the combo of them can be a bit disheartening, especially when you're out on your own as I am pretty much all of the time. That and I can't be arsed cleaning the bike after.

I don't really mind if I'm out and it starts to rain on me, but psychologically I find it harder to get ready to go out if it's already raining

i do enjoy blasting through the wet when i'm homeward bound, but when you're on your way out... no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Dry & clear tomorrow.

No turbo , no wimp list just solid time on the road.

cletus wrote: »
    I don't really mind if I'm out and it starts to rain on me, but psychologically I find it harder to get ready to go out if it's already raining

Same here, it always takes me longer to get ready. Had the fire Brigade round at 3am Friday morning, so when I fell out of bed I put on my gear but when I seen the rain I actually just got in the car in my gear, I just gave up completely.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here, it always takes me longer to get ready. Had the fire Brigade round at 3am Friday morning, so when I fell out of bed I put on my gear but when I seen the rain I actually just got in the car in my gear, I just gave up completely.

Everything ok?

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    Everything ok?

Thankfully grand, CO alarm went off at 3 am. Went downstairs and the dogs were acting weird. Opened the doors and windows, replaced the batteries but when I brought it into the hall it triggered again so it had spread around. Everyone outside and wait for the fire brigade who were great. All sorted ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Was there actually a CO leak in the house? What did the fire crew say/suggest?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Was there actually a CO leak in the house? What did the fire crew say/suggest?
    There was CO but not a leak of any type, my partner had lit a fire earlier in the day but let it die as the wind grew. The embers that were in the fire were the source and the wind caused the Co from the embers to fill the sitting room and the lower half of the house. Doused the fire place to put out the embers before they had arrived but they done a full thermal scan and CO check in every part of the house. Aired it out for a few minutes, told us to leave the alarm in our bedroom for the night, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Will they send you a bill, Cram?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Finally, the wond does and its bright and 'sunny' - and what happens? My gout starts playing up, and I can barely hold myself upright on my feet!!
    Two days wasted, thankfully much better today, so fingers crossed, tomorrow's the day!

crosstownk wrote: »
    Shouldn't do, it was a genuine call-out?

crosstownk wrote: »
    Shouldn't do, it was a genuine call-out?

I'm genuinely not sure. Happy to pay it if they do as the fire should never have been lit when it was going to be windy later. This said, it would set a worrying precedence if they did as someone who is struggling financially would avoid calling. I always remember from my younger days the rumour was (for chimney fires for example) that if you rang them you would be billed but if your neighbour did its an emergency call out. Personally I have no idea but will let you know if a bill comes through. Like I said, I would be surprised as it sets a dangerous precedent where people might be tempted not to call them, but if they do, totally our fault.

fom memory, they say they do (DFB anyway) but don't apply the charge for genuine incidents.

i once rang emergency services after arriving on the scene of an RTC. several people said to me afterwards that i shouldn't have, that i would be billed for the callout, which is utter horse**** and a dangerous rumour - and possibly why that despite us being the third car to arrive on the scene, we were the first to call 999 despite the occupants clearly in need of assistance.

this is the thread i started about it at the time - there's a claim made in there that different councils may have different policies on callouts, e.g. a chimney fire which would be covered by house insurance, they may let the insurer cough up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67897355

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The charge is usually only applied when insurance are picking up the tab

Advertisement