Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I'll probably puncture on the way home now.

I certainly hope so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Did my usual training spin in the morning. Now I'm thinking that it might not have been the brightest idea. It was cold, wet and brutal crosswinds on Military rd. My fingers are still feeling a bit odd fom the cold descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

A fine soft day in dublin anyway, hardly any wind (nw to se), a nice bit of rain, hands were cold enough with wind chill and being wet, added 5 mins to the commute to stay out of the sweat zone. Great to cycle past all those cars. The old helmet found a new use, kept my bonce weirdly dry with 45 mins in the rain, only started wearing it recently for the first time in 10 years cause of all those helmet threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cycled in this morning. I was changing out of my cycling gear when the heaven's opened! Phew! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I was changing out of my cycling gear when the heaven's opened! Phew! :D
    That was brave. If I did that, I would get wetter and colder I would say, did not want to take the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Seweryn wrote: »
    That was brave. If I did that, I would get wetter and colder I would say, did not want to take the risk.

Ooops! well spotted...I was indoors at the time putting on my work clothes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Ooops! well spotted...I was indoors at the time putting on my work clothes!!

Hopefully you hid your shame at least

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Cycled in this morning. I was changing out of my cycling gear when the heaven's opened! Phew! :D

It went the opposite way for me. The heavens opened up just as I was getting ready to go out, so I abandoned the idea of cycling to work and I am present and correct for the wimp roll call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It went the opposite way for me. The heavens opened up just as I was getting ready to go out, so I abandoned the idea of cycling to work and I am present and correct for the wimp roll call.

Same here. Waited for it to ease up but it didn't. Rained hard and heavy for an hour, before I abandoned. Of course they only had light rain at work, which just made it worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is it just me that would be late if they decided to abandon the cycle at the last minute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cycled in this morning. Quite enjoyable apart from being fierce nippy.

Nearly got flattened by a black X5 as I passed Booterstown Avenue on the Blackrock road. She was driving down the bus lane, at speed and without much regard for the cycle lane.

I decided "feck this" and upped my speed.

Saw her drive the whole way down the bus lane, past the Blackrock clinic and up towards the Blackrock shopping centre.

I managed to catch her as she was pulling her ticket from the car park machine, just before the barrier lifted. Seeing she was about my Mum's age and not a white van man, I tried to be polite and not upset her, but I was out of breath so the heavy breathing may have upset her:

"Sorry, you came pretty close to knocking me down back there"

"Oh, I'm really sorry"

"Well, you really shouldn't have been in the bus lane there anyway"

"Oh, I was only in it because I wanted to turn left"

This was about 2km before she needed to turn left, she just didn't want traffic to delay her trip to the shops.

I said something about it being illegal and dangerous before turning around and going.

Honestly, what is it about that road? Every day people seem to use the bus lane because they are in a rush or in this case "turning left" at some point a few kilometres later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mention it to the Garda they might hide some to watch the lane and catch a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Honestly, what is it about that road? Every day people seem to use the bus lane because they are in a rush or in this case "turning left" at some point a few kilometres later.

It's that southside sense of entitlement - you should come to the northside, much more pleasant. Only problem is you can't get good help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bit cool out there this morning - came back to find the garmin recorded an average temp of -2.5 and a min of -4.2.

Coming along the R150 from Duleek to Julianstown and just before the motorway bridge there were two cars - one either side of the road facing the same way - buried in the ditches!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

yeah, change of plans for the weekend. I'll get my spin in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Can't fight the weather today unless you want a broken leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Went out with Rob Fowl and another few hardy souls from Swords.Was very wary as the road outside m house looked very frosty and slippy but as it turned out it was the worst road we came across. Many layers and skull cap meant that only the tip of my toes feeling the cold.
    Surprisingly there were a good few groups out that we came across.
    A quick coffee stop for myself,Rob Fowl and a neighbour in Dave's Village Store in Balrothery who kindly 'sponsored' the coffee for us ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Cold!

I don't know how but the club managed to get away at 9.30 this morning. It looked very dodgy where I am so I waited till 10.30 and crept out onto the main roads. Managed 88km out to Kinnegad and back. Stopped for a cup of tea and the guy in the garage told me that Bord na Mona where taking in their machinery from the bogs which, according to him, is a sure sign of a long cold spell!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

It was cold today, but very nice if you were dressed properly, I managed a respectable 135km....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

colm_gti wrote: »
    It was cold today, but very nice if you were dressed properly, I managed a respectable 135km....

On a single speed as well. Show off.

Was fresh out alright. But just a lovely morning to be on the bike.

• Advertisement

In north tipp there was ice on the edges of all main roads--on trainer now, so frustrating!

daragh_ wrote: »
    On a single speed as well. Show off.

Was fresh out alright. But just a lovely morning to be on the bike.

The last round of up and over intervals was starting to hurt, and that hill at the anglers rest finished me off :rolleyes:

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    In north tipp there was ice on the edges of all main roads--on trainer now, so frustrating!

There was ice on the edge of the road and I leaving my house at 8:30 this morning, but nothing to worry about really...

You think you'll get to A1 with an attitude like that? :p

I shall take my cue from Chopper Reid in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

87K for me all in, lovely day for a spin, staved off the cold by keeping the cadence nice a high, except getting to Howth summit from harbour side, seems to get steeper every time. treating myself to a beer now as kiddies are away for the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

bcmf wrote: »
    Went out with Rob Fowl and another few hardy souls from Swords.Was very wary as the road outside m house looked very frosty and slippy but as it turned out it was the worst road we came across. Many layers and skull cap meant that only the tip of my toes feeling the cold.
    Surprisingly there were a good few groups out that we came across.
    A quick coffee stop for myself,Rob Fowl and a neighbour in Dave's Village Store in Balrothery who kindly 'sponsored' the coffee for us ;)

I spotted you guys and about three other groups of cyclists this morning. Fair play. No way I was going out in that temp on the ncd roads. Went running later instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

75k for me, was nippy but not windy..much nicer than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Got a little over 110km in for the day, my first spin on the bike in about three weeks. Then went to the rugby. Wrecked now, I'm going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Jawgap wrote: »
    Coming along the R150 from Duleek to Julianstown and just before the motorway bridge there were two cars - one either side of the road facing the same way - buried in the ditches!

That's exactly where a car nearly hit us when skidding on the ice into the bridge barriers a couple of weeks ago.

Got 150k in myself - left the house at 7 am and had to take it easy until I could be sure the ice wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

left the house at 7 am
    :eek: Fair play. I wimped out and drove to work at that time - looked too dodgy to cycle and Mrs WA would have been worried!

Advertisement