Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wimp list ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

:eek: Fair play. I wimped out and drove to work at that time - looked too dodgy to cycle and Mrs WA would have been worried!

Is Mrs WA code for your inner pansy?!? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Is Mrs WA code for your inner pansy?!? :P
    Well she did have to bring me home from Beaumont Hospital recently! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Mr Bear always wants to know roughly which direction I am heading on the bike....like thats gonna help...."yeah I got clobbered in Drogheda....."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

t'bear wrote: »
    Mr Bear always wants to know roughly which direction I am heading on the bike....like thats gonna help...."yeah I got clobbered in Drogheda....."
    Reminds me of the time I found myself in the Beaumont without an idea of what day of the week it was. The family were away on holiday, and I couldn't remember the wife's number anyway. It was about 6 hours before I realised I had the Blackberry and e-mailed work to discover no-one had even noticed me missing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    and e-mailed work to discover no-one had even noticed me missing ...
    I wish! On my days off (shift work) I'm constantly called asking where I am. (Very annoying when out on a spin).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

10.00am 0 degrees hmm might wait a bit longer before heading out. gorgeous sunny day though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I wish! On my days off (shift work) I'm constantly called asking where I am. (Very annoying when out on a spin).

If I go out for a spin and say I'll be 2 hours, the 'are-you-ok'? Texts start after 2:05, phone calls start after 2:30 - at that point I usually stop to check in and let the Director Sportif know I'm safe.

Work only calls when I decide at the last minute to extend my commute and forget I have a meeting or someone coming in early!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Jawgap wrote: »
    If I go out for a spin and say I'll be 2 hours, the 'are-you-ok'? Texts start after 2:05, phone calls start after 2:30 - at that point I usually stop to check in and let the Director Sportif know I'm safe.

Work only calls when I decide at the last minute to extend my commute and forget I have a meeting or someone coming in early!

Jaysus! No way I'd be having that! I've an iphone and since the last IOS upgrade it's got a Do Not Disturb feature. I leave it on always.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was out yesterday morning and this morning. 185km total.

Heading home to my parents for dinner tonight, not touching the bike - that rain sounds ferocious outside. I'm even dreading the walk to the bus stop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

buffalo wrote: »
    Heading home to my parents for dinner tonight, not touching the bike - that rain sounds ferocious outside. I'm even dreading the walk to the bus stop!!

Man-Up-eCard.png

Note I deleted the 185km you did the other 2 days :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

When I left the house this moring there was still ice on the road. Had a slip about 500m into the spin! As the morning went on it got better but bitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    I spotted you guys and about three other groups of cyclists this morning. Fair play. No way I was going out in that temp on the ncd roads. Went running later instead.
    Both 8.30 spins were all over the place.Our little group of 3 were joined by 4 others which I believe were the Lion of Fingal's gruppo though the Lion wasn't present. Then (conviently as I stopped for a nature break) we were joined by what I believe was the Head the ball group. But then as we passed the turn for Bog of the ring we spotted Pat Halpin and his crew coming from the bog.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bcmf wrote: »
    I stopped for a nature break) ..

... we spotted Pat Halpin and his crew coming from the bog.
    A few too many consumed at that 80s night that shaungil was "starring" at on Friday night by the sounds of it ...

There were around 4 non-Swords groups (Dubkin Wheelers was definitely one, but they do that route every Saturday) heading through and towards Lusk from Blakes Cross on Saturday morning, just a few minutes before the Swords spins were due to complete their "loop"

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Beautiful morning first thing, but didn't get out till 10:30, by when it was absolutely miserable. Cold, blustery and not a stitch of sunshine. Got 80k in, reaching a total of over 600km for November, which was an aim of mine at the start of the month. Hoping now for 1000km over December, especially with the few days off.

Jaysus! No way I'd be having that! I've an iphone and since the last IOS upgrade it's got a Do Not Disturb feature. I leave it on always.

Ah, it's only 'cos she cares.......:o

Plus more than once she's been called to an A&E to pick me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Jawgap wrote: »
    Plus more than once she's been called to an A&E to pick me up!

I have a tracking app running, the OH can check in and see if I'm progressing any. I also have her phone number photographed as my screensaver in the event that I'm found non responsive. Fairly grim, but practical...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Note I deleted the 185km you did the other 2 days :pac:

Thanks for that!! :( If it doesn't let up I'll be swimming to work in the morning!

uberwolf wrote: »
    I have a tracking app running, the OH can check in and see if I'm progressing any. I also have her phone number photographed as my screensaver in the event that I'm found non responsive. Fairly grim, but practical...
    I've got this jersey:

bth_beasty.jpg

Username and Blood Group on the front and back, and the wife's phone number on the sleeve...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

As a matter of interest, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Went for a short spin today, the rain wasn't too bad. The softer than a ripe peach brakes and the traffic were a problem.

• Advertisement

I've got this jersey:

bth_beasty.jpg

Username and Blood Group on the front and back, and the wife's phone number on the sleeve...:)

Good idea, you wouldn't want your blood bags to get mixed up with someone else's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Plastik wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what is it?

my phone number? :o

the app is here. I'm sure there are better out there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

and the wife's phone number on the sleeve...:)

i'm so ringing your wife if i ever see that jersey

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got up to cycle this morning and it was so windy and thats where I usually draw the line as I cycle along some very exposed roads.

Went for a 7km in stead so my 6am rise wasnt wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I was down or cross wind most of the way in, there were a couple of stretches (short ones) that brought me headon into the wind, it was strong and also cold enough to have to pull up the neck warmer over my nose. Roads were very wet but no rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Having escaped the downpours last week, got my deserved puncture yesterday and another today for good measure. Not to mention forgetting towel, wash gear etc etc at work.

@MWAP - how did you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Gym day today so I drive in regardless of the weather, thank god....rest of the week looks great though :)

Great commute in this morning, apart from a couple of floods - fortunately I missed any submerged potholes, and was definitely getting ahead of the motorists. Unlikely to be the same on the way home mind ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Great commute in this morning, apart from a couple of floods - fortunately I missed any submerged potholes, and was definitely getting ahead of the motorists. Unlikely to be the same on the way home mind ...

Likewise, roads very wet but not much rain falling. missed all flooding until the last bit of the park!

Really need to buy better overshoes:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Didn't enjoy this morning at all it must be said. Freezing cold spitty rain and an untypical headwind, it was just a bit of a slog. Should be nicer on the way home.

Advertisement