Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving website from host to new host

• 24-09-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

Right I have a domain. It was a fully working magento website but the hosting ran out and I didn't get around to renewing it. (It was with GoDaddy).

However I have a hosting a/c with hostgator that I'm using to learn myself a bit of basic web design.

I want to put my old website on the hostgator hosting. How do I do this?

What's needed from a ftp point of view? - as in do I've to upload everything to a new ftp a/c with hostgator or can I transfer it across easily?

The reason I'm specfic about the ftp point of view is I can't seem to log on to ftp even though I have the correct info (as fas as I know).

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Renamed thread. Please be more specific in future, it helps with getting useful replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

looder wrote: »
    It was a fully working magento website but the hosting ran out and I didn't get around to renewing it.

can I transfer it across easily?

The reason I'm specfic about the ftp point of view is I can't seem to log on to ftp even though I have the correct info (as fas as I know).

You probably can't log into the old server FTP because you didn't renew your account. If you have a backup of your site locally, you can probably FTP that to the new server. You probably also need to re-create your MySQL servers from backup.

Note that Magento needs a lot of server resources and rarely runs smoothly on standard shared hosting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Thanks for the response.

Magento was running as slow as a wet week alright.

I'd say it could be a lost one as I don't think there's an up to date local back up. You live and learn I suppose.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Host companies do not generally immediately delete content just because the hosting lapsed, errors happen. It might be possible to revive the hosting if it has only recently lapsed. Then down load the site and make sure you keep the payments up to date in future on which ever provider you decide to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tatrman

looder wrote: »
    Right I have a domain. It was a fully working magento website but the hosting ran out and I didn't get around to renewing it. (It was with GoDaddy).

However I have a hosting a/c with hostgator that I'm using to learn myself a bit of basic web design.

I want to put my old website on the hostgator hosting. How do I do this?

What's needed from a ftp point of view? - as in do I've to upload everything to a new ftp a/c with hostgator or can I transfer it across easily?

Cheers.

First of all check if you can still access your old server. if not than it is probably gone. If yes try to renew it, or if you want to switch to another company than download all data through your FTP access.

Don't forget to export the database as well :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement