Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If rejoining the UK meant jobs and an end to austerity, would you?

• 24-09-2012 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Firstly, I know the UK has it's own real bugetary difficulties but this is a purely hypothetically, IF.....thread

So basically if the republic were to rejoin the UK (while retaining a national parliment) would result in good jobs with good availibility and an end to austerity and cuts, woudl you be up for it?

Or would you be one of the "rather die on my feet..........." rabbler brigade like was on Niall Boylan @night a few weeks ago.

If re-joining the UK meant jobs and an end to austerity, would you? 303 votes

Yes. I'll take the job and join the UK.
    0%
    NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    100%
    ManachZascarRicharddannyd20StarkMy name is MudLoGiEshinobigeniecujimmyZhanechrismonAnnasopranxbyveromdwjpgRed AlertDe HipsterSleepyneilmWitchieSuaimhneach 303 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Firstly, I know the UK has it's own real bugetary difficulties but this is a purely hypothetically, IF.....thread

So basically if the republic were to rejoin the UK (while retaining a national parliment) would result in good jobs with good availibility and an end to austerity and cuts, woudl you be up for it?

Or would you be one of the "rather live on my feet..........." rabbler brigade like was on Niall Boylan @night a few weeks ago.

So your question is: would you be up for rejoining the UK or are you one of the rabbler brigade?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If rejoining the UK meant jobs and an end to austerity, would you?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Or would you be one of the "rather live on my feet..........." rabbler brigade like was on Niall Boylan @night a few weeks ago.

Are they giving out soup?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

So living standards up North rival those of Switzerland/Dubai/Singapore

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

If I didn't have this gun, the king of England could walk right in here and start pushing you around.
    Homer Simpson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    Cool. So as the poll stands, 5/8 of people are in the "800 years brigade".

3/8 in favour. Thats better than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Hell yeah. We've demonstrated our politicians are self serving & untrustworthy & that we're not capable of taking care of ourselves, so why not avail of the benefits it would bring us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Absolutely not. Things are temporarily not fantastic, but its only a blip. Look back over the last 90 years of independence. There were good times and bad times. We've had the Emergency when tea was rationed(tea!?!), the Troubles, when people were getting blown up. Right now we just have the Unpleasentness where people are living in houses they can't quite afford. They have tea and their not being blown up. Things aint so bad yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Eire (the republic) has never been part of the Uk? What an odd thread.....

Well the Dail could keep doing the parish pump stuff they are good at like filling potholes and getting grants for farmers' sons. They could draft a national budget and get it approved by central gov. Westminster can take care of the macroeconomic stuff cos we're shít at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I voted yes, if we still get to have our own language/culture/etc.
    And so long as I am not expected to sit around watching the fecking Queen give speeches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I'd like to vote Yes, but I'm afraid what the neighbours would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

Eire (the republic) has never been part of the Uk? What an odd thread.....

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland became United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after partition.

I'll vote yes if we can get rid of our national parliament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

:):):) I never tire of these what if/why not/should we/should they/ how could we/ how could they/ Republic/ Eire/ the North/ the U.K/ Britain/ united Ireland/ British Ilses type threads.:):):) I just love it!!!

#Notreally

I voted yes, if we still get to have our own language/culture/etc.
    And so long as I am not expected to sit around watching the fecking Queen give speeches.

The Welsh have theirs, the Scots have theirs, the English have thiers, the Norn Irish have theirs, they'd sure as hell be mean do single out the Southern Irish as that is what we'd become - Southern Ireland - pretty much bring back what was laid out in the 1921 Gov of Ireland Act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

You could just like omg totally I dunno loike go to the UK and get the job there and come back to Ireland when things improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

absolutely no

I'm genuinely surprised. I thought the poll would be more like 90/10 to the tiochaigh ar la types.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

No. Its a bad spell we're going through alright, but by trading in our individuality we would merely become something like a new 'Wales' ... an impotent population for London to just dump upon and push around to the benefit of the toffs of Westminster.

oh and monarchy ....vomit.

Rigol wrote: »

oh and monarchy ....vomit.

Republicanism.....VOMIT:p

• Advertisement

ehmjay wrote: »
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland became United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland after partition.

your point is?
    OP wrote:
    So basically if the republic were to rejoin the UK

How can the republic rejoin the UK, it was never part of it?

Well the Dail could keep doing the parish pump stuff they are good at like filling potholes and getting grants for farmers' sons. They could draft a national budget and get it approved by central gov. Westminster can take care of the macroeconomic stuff cos we're shít at it.

The UK has been an independent state for centuries. Ireland for mere decades. Our quality and standards of living are practically the same.

Though I can imagine your beloved Brit politicians would take the fairly excellent Irish education system and gut it, putting in place their absurd comp schools and turning every public education institution into a drop-out factory producing illiterates the like of which you see in every sink estate the length and breadth of Britannia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Quite possibly the most retarded opening post I have ever seen on boards.

Bravo OP.

your point is?

How can the republic rejoin the UK, it was never part of it?

Ah sure jaysus.... Well what is the republic today. Obvisously it would no longer be the republic if what currently is the republic rejoined. They'd probably just call it Southern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't think it make much of a difference might have done so when joining the EU but has it made much of a difference now with a double dip recession, when EU is affected by Unemployment we are too.

I'm genuinely surprised. I thought the poll would be more like 90/10 to the tiochaigh ar la types.

I think the wording of the question has something to do with the results.
    It infers that if you vote no you are some kind of small-minded, cider bottle throwing, tribalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't think anyone that votes yes is following the poor thick old tories as they push Britain into a double dip recession, destroy the nhs and have their obscene friendships with media and business shown up in public.
    Their most recent reshuffle has seen Jeremy hunt become health secretary, a man that believes in homeopathy, and that's ignoring his horrendous track record.
    Maybe when labour get back in I'd think it wasn't the worst idea but there needs to be a proper labour government. Miliband looks like one of the muppets. I'm not convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

your point is?
    It's not my point really, more a technical point of history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I have a substantial link to the UK in that two of my uncles are English nationals who married Irish women, my aunts on my mothers side. My mother and father got jobs over there in the late 40's when there was nothing here in Ireland if you didn't get the land, join the church or know someone with influence to get a state job.

My mother did her nurse training in England and still has a passion for her vocation, she always saw nursing as more than just a job for money and thoroughly enjoyed her 12 years there.

My father, after several years selling insurance, working in hardware retail etc in Ireland, got a job in a Dairy in Manchester and was involved several years later in milk deliveries around Galway City when bottled milk was introduced to Galway in the mid to late 50's. He used his knowledge and skills gained in England for the next 30 yrs to earn a good living.

Most people I knew as a child got their start in a job in England and brought their expertise home to Ireland to make a good living. It seemed to me that those who never left and had no family or property advantages were never able to rise above subsistance. Same applied to those with US or other foreign experience but the vast majority of returnees were from England.

In terms of economics, personal development and getting ahead in a material way having closer ties with England would be advantageous but would cause a lot of anger among those of an extreme republican leaning who hate England for the historical legacy of the tragic relationship between these two Islands

It should be possible to embrace and endorse our Anglophone traditions by closer ties to the US the UK and other commonwealth countries but there seems to be a denial of the existence and importance of English culture and language in the everyday experience of Irish people and an attempt to force the issue of regaelicization of the general populace through compulsion and exclusion of monoglot anglophones from many important sources of employment, teaching for example.

Many distinguishing features and customs that differentiated the Irish and the English in that past no longer apply.

• Advertisement

.....................Though I can imagine your beloved Brit politicians would take the fairly excellent Irish education system and gut it, putting in place their absurd comp schools and turning every public education institution into a drop-out factory producing illiterates the like of which you see in every sink estate the length and breadth of Britannia.

:confused: bollaaaaaaacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Odd, because in your similarily themed thread elsewhere you were saying
    there is a growing dissatisfaction with and rejection of Nationalist/Republican based ideas
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80928410&postcount=1

I suppose that didn't get the reaction you wanted....

doolox wrote: »
    I have a substantial link to the UK in that two of my uncles are English nationals who married Irish women, my aunts on my mothers side. My mother and father got jobs over there in the late 40's when there was nothing here in Ireland if you didn't get the land, join the church or know someone with influence to get a state job.

My mother did her nurse training in England and still has a passion for her vocation, she always saw nursing as more than just a job for money and thoroughly enjoyed her 12 years there.

My father, after several years selling insurance, working in hardware retail etc in Ireland, got a job in a Dairy in Manchester and was involved several years later in milk deliveries around Galway City when bottled milk was introduced to Galway in the mid to late 50's. He used his knowledge and skills gained in England for the next 30 yrs to earn a good living.

Most people I knew as a child got their start in a job in England and brought their expertise home to Ireland to make a good living. It seemed to me that those who never left and had no family or property advantages were never able to rise above subsistance. Same applied to those with US or other foreign experience but the vast majority of returnees were from England.

In terms of economics, personal development and getting ahead in a material way having closer ties with England would be advantageous but would cause a lot of anger among those of an extreme republican leaning who hate England for the historical legacy of the tragic relationship between these two Islands

It should be possible to embrace and endorse our Anglophone traditions by closer ties to the US the UK and other commonwealth countries but there seems to be a denial of the existence and importance of English culture and language in the everyday experience of Irish people and an attempt to force the issue of regaelicization of the general populace through compulsion and exclusion of monoglot anglophones from many important sources of employment, teaching for example.

Many distinguishing features and customs that differentiated the Irish and the English in that past no longer apply.

Well said. In particular the attempted forceful regaelicization of Ireland is just as bad if not worse than the degaelecisation of times past due to the latter taking place in modern and enlightened times. The former took place in the 17 &18th centuries when such things were order of the day everywhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

hmmm be part of incompetent small republic with financial difficulties or be part of kingdom that colluded with terrorists, invented concentration camps, attacked sovereign nations, fabricated WMD reports to push for war, imprisoned innocent men as terrorists, shot civil rights protestors, blamed football fans for tragedies and thats just their recent history.

Nodin wrote: »
    Odd, because in your similarily themed thread elsewhere you were saying

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80928410&postcount=1

I suppose that didn't get the reaction you wanted....

Oh yeah. Check it out beavis - OP has made like 8 posts on his own thread within the space of 3 pages. All supporting one of the two options he gave.

Soooo... not really a question/poll thread...just some unionist getting his paisley on.

Troll much?

So anyone who want to live in an independent country is a gombeen shinner.

Let me guess "you're either with us or with the terrists"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well said. In particular the attempted forceful regaelicization of Ireland is just as bad if not worse than the degaelecisation of times past due to the latter taking place in modern and enlightened times. The former took place in the 17 &18th centuries when such things were order of the day everywhere in the world.

So if something is the "order of the day" that means they're rendered perfectly fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

OP just started a thread about reunification literally fifteen minutes before he posted this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056763592

You still haven't offered any real reason as to why reunification would benefit us! Now you're simply indulging bizarre hypotheticals which have zero basis in reality in the hope that it will give some credence to your Unionist viewpoint.

Europe has already bailed us out. Do you expect the British taxpayer to be the next in line for the price of what remaining Sovereignty we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Where is the 'Atari stupid fucking question' option?

did you write all them der words on bits of paper, scrunch up and put them in a velvet pouch? Then take them out and post the sentences in that order? how did you get the "."

That post reminds me of spaggetti for some reason

Where is the 'Atari stupid fucking question' option?

The definition of the thread is 'Atari stupid fucking question' not just the poll options.

• Advertisement

Today I've learned that anyone who hopes to retain Ireland's Sovereignty is a:

Anti-British, Ra-head, Gombeen, "tiocfaidh ar la" screaming Moron.

The only reasons proposed for reunification effectively come down to the fact that "we're so culturally similar that there is no reason that we should be Politically divided".

If that's literally the only reason put forward, then I'd much rather Unify with the our Western Neighbour, the US of A. We're culturally similar and they're infinitely more wealthy than the UK Government, hell even the EU for that matter.

Any reason to oppose that, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

iDave wrote: »
    hmmm be part of incompetent small republic with financial difficulties or be part of kingdom that colluded with terrorists, invented concentration camps, attacked sovereign nations, fabricated WMD reports to push for war, imprisoned innocent men as terrorists, shot civil rights protestors, blamed football fans for tragedies and thats just their recent history.

This is probably the type of stuff that turns him on, Makes him feel big, Stomping on all the little people..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

43% of yis want to rejoin the UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????I pray God this isnt a representative sample of irish citizenry....Then again with the amount of people voting for FF and FG nuthin would surprise me .

Today I've learned that anyone who hopes to retain Ireland's Sovereignty is a:

Anti-British, Ra-head, Gombeen, "tiocfaidh ar la" screaming Moron.

The only reasons proposed for reunification effectively come down to the fact that "we're so culturally similar that there is no reason that we should be Politically divided".

If that's literally the only reason put forward, then I'd much rather Unify with the our Western Neighbour, the US of A. We're culturally similar and they're infinitely more wealthy than the UK Government, hell even the EU for that matter.

Any reason to oppose that, OP?

Looks like the OP has competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Maximum Feels

THERES NO WAY ID THE QUEENS COCK NO FUKKING WAY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We should never have left the UK. Being part of a much larger union gave us the opportunity to be part of a truly great country. The Irish, English, Scots & Welsh are part of a common cultural heritage, and we're so intermingled now as makes no difference.

Instead we're left in a mire with the chuckies telling us how great it is to run our own affairs - in other words, how great it is for them running our affairs in this grotty little country. The narrow minded bigots won and the rest of us who'd just like to get on with our lives have suffered.

doolox wrote: »

You're applying anecdotal evidence to an entire diaspora. Not everyone who went to England or America "made it". In fact the majority did not. The Irish and Italian ghettoes in New York and Boston were rife with crime, drunkeness, poverty and lack of opportunity. Kilburn and Cricklewood in London were no different. Cronyism and connections are just as ubiquitous in the UK and the US and how many get ahead of the pack. You really only need to look at social mobility rates to figure that out.

hmmm wrote: »
    We should never have left the UK. Being part of a much larger union gave us the opportunity to be part of a truly great country. The Irish, English, Scots & Welsh are part of a common cultural heritage, and we're so intermingled now as makes no difference.

Instead we're left in a mire with the chuckies telling us how great it is to run our own affairs - in other words, how great it is for them running our affairs in this grotty little country. The narrow minded bigots won and the rest of us who'd just like to get on with our lives have suffered.

If that's how you describe the Irish people, then why should the UK Government seek Reunification.

It seems like they have a lot to lose from the whole deal...

You're applying anecdotal evidence to an entire diaspora. Not everyone who went to England or America "made it". In fact the majority did not. The Irish and Italian ghettoes in New York and Boston were rife with crime, drunkeness, poverty and lack of opportunity. Kilburn and Cricklewood in London were no different. Cronyism and connections are just as ubiquitous in the UK and the US and how many get ahead of the pack. You really only need to look at social mobility rates to figure that out.

We wouldn't want to shatter the Anglophiles' Rose-tinted glasses, would we.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Feck that, my dole wouldn't be half as much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement