Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If rejoining the UK meant jobs and an end to austerity, would you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    THERES NO WAY ID THE QUEENS COCK NO FUKKING WAY

I appreciate that you are a n00b but CAPITAL letters are interpreted as shouting and anyway there is no need for expletives.

If you have an opinion it's best to articulate it coherently. Anyway, I'm reasonably confident that the Queen doesn't have a cock. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

I appreciate that you are a n00b but CAPITAL letters are interpreted as shouting and anyway there is no need for expletives.

If you have an opinion it's best to articulate it coherently. Anyway, I'm reasonably confident that the Queen doesn't have a cock. :pac:

Do you live in the Republic OP?

I may have a suggestion if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

i don't think the irish that are already in the uk.....could stand all the moaning......

the whole world are idiots, except the irish that stayed in ireland.....lol

NO! I rather die on me feet than live on my knees.....800 years...de Brits...rabble rabble
    Rigol wrote: »

Yes I do live in the Republic.

What do you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Will you be implementing this plan before or after you get your workhouses idea off the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

You've started threads today calling for workhouses, unionist parties, and now joining the UK... I think you were born in the wrong century OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

Rigol wrote: »

What do you suggest?
    Form a unionist party as per your politics thread and knock on my door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Firstly, I know the UK has it's own real bugetary difficulties but this is a purely hypothetically, IF.....thread

So basically if the republic were to rejoin the UK (while retaining a national parliment) would result in good jobs with good availibility and an end to austerity and cuts, woudl you be up for it?

Or would you be one of the "rather die on my feet..........." rabbler brigade like was on Niall Boylan @night a few weeks ago.

Is this a troll or a thread designed to provoke ?? You should add a "Rejoin the Commonwealth" Poll Option. I'd vouch for that.

Form a unionist party as per your politics thread and knock on my door.

Why? What is going on in your house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

the Queen doesn't have a cock. :pac:

She's surrounded by them though. They're called 'monarchists' and they buy into the idea that it's okay that people are born into perverse privilege.

We have enough of our own little quasi-dynasties here never mind becoming subjects of the world's most ridiculous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

She's surrounded by them though. They're called 'monarchists' and they buy into the idea that it's okay that people are born into perverse privilege.

We have enough of our own little quasi-dynasties here never mind becoming subjects of the world's most ridiculous one.

you don't think the english people should have a free choice then....

Is this a troll or a thread designed to provoke ?? You should add a "Rejoin the Commonwealth" Poll Option. I'd vouch for that.

No.
    I asked a fair enough question and appear to be getting, so far at least, fair enough responses.
    I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea but I still feel it is a valid discussion, evidenced by a decent amount of posters who would entertain the eventuality.

A join the commonwealth option might have been an OK addition in some cases but I think for the question in hand, a straightforward yes/no would be a better ask.

Look the cut and thrust of the OP was serious in nature, but being purely hypothetical I felt it belonged in AH rather than politics. And then being in politics a touch of hyperbole expressed in some posts is something that is more or less expected.
    A few of the longer posts which I thanked were fairly insightful and an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

I know the op is a hypothetical question and is never going to happen but it does put into perspective the likelihood of a United Ireland ever happening, at least in our life-times.

What do you suggest?

I suggest you may be better off living in the UK.
    Might be best for all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    You've started threads today calling for workhouses, unionist parties, and now joining the UK... I think you were born in the wrong century OP!

Or he/she is a terrible troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

No.
    I asked a fair enough question and appear to be getting, so far at least, fair enough responses.
    I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea but I still feel it is a valid discussion, evidenced by a decent amount of posters who would entertain the eventuality.

A join the commonwealth option might have been an OK addition in some cases but I think for the question in hand, a straightforward yes/no would be a better ask.

Look the cut and thrust of the OP was serious in nature, but being purely hypothetical I felt it belonged in AH rather than politics. And then being in politics a touch of hyperbole expressed in some posts is something that is more or less expected.
    A few of the longer posts which I thanked were fairly insightful and an interesting read.

There's a reason why your argument is purely hypothetical, because you're unable to provide a single valid reason as to why Ireland should relinquish the remaining vestiges of it's sovereignty to reunify with the UK.

You've chosen to explore the world of conjecture and what if's in order to fend off any reasonable discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

No.
    We have major issues in this country but i don't think a return to the Queen would be in our benefit.
    I think overall Government and service's are run far better in the UK and would like to see increased co-operation and links.

The current bunch need to be burnt out of the Dail and a complete restructuring of all service's and legislation needs to be undertaken.
    This country could be good in the future but not without MAJOR change..

No.
    I asked a fair enough question

The options were basically 1. Yes. or 2. No, because I'm a knuckledragger.
    Thats not very fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i went into two Dublin pubs yesterday in RIRA territory. i wanted to watch the all ireland and the barman was not aware that it was on. four screens in the pub and all of them tuned into liverpool and manchester but if you mentioned joining the UK to those people they would bait you.

• Advertisement

There's a reason why your argument is purely hypothetical, because you're unable to provide a single valid reason as to why Ireland should relinquish the remaining vestiges of it's sovereignty to reunify with the UK.

You've chosen to explore the world of conjecture and what if's in order to fend off any reasonable discussion.

I could provide plenty of valid reasons but atm i am busy, the building is closing and I am too damn tired to do so. I might do it later on in the week when I have the energy for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

OU812 wrote: »
    Hell yeah. We've demonstrated our politicians are self serving & untrustworthy & that we're not capable of taking care of ourselves, so why not avail of the benefits it would bring us.

Which makes them so inferior to all those noble right honourable members of the institutionally sectarian British state's parliament which:

1. Commit fraud on their expenses to an incredibly piss-taking degree. Otherwise known as United Kingdom Parliamentary expenses scandal

2. Buy, sell and promise knighthoods and other relics of medieval English feudalism in exchange for donations to political parties and politicians private wealth. Otherwise known as Cash for Honours

3. Be involved in selling arms to nefarious regimes across the world and speak about how with "the simple sword of truth" they will be shown to be honest, but are shown to be corrupt, deeply corrupt. That would be this chap.

4. Get paid for lobbying for influence on behalf of rich people, without declaring such payments. Otherwise known as Cash for Influence

5. Not forgetting "Cash for questions". The problem is which scandal to choose. How about this.

And that's just five. Actually, here are much more. So please do explain how in your fantasy world British parliamentarians are somehow less corrupt that Irish parliamentarians?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

1. Why would they want the Republic of Ireland plus our large debt. They don't even want Northern Ireland and its high cost to the British exchequer.

2. No matter who is in charge in the Republic, we need to reduce our public expenditure. If we can do this, it means public servants out on strike for a few years and reducing the public services available.

3. A british polictician would not achieve this faster than our own politicians in fact there would be far greater resistance to a British politician.

So it is a definite NO from me. It would not make any financial or political sense.

Firstly, I know the UK has it's own real bugetary difficulties but this is a purely hypothetically, IF.....thread

So basically if the republic were to rejoin the UK (while retaining a national parliment) would result in good jobs with good availibility and an end to austerity and cuts, woudl you be up for it?

Or would you be one of the "rather die on my feet..........." rabbler brigade like was on Niall Boylan @night a few weeks ago.

if we rejoined the UK we could send all the scumbags to the army who would send them overseas as cannon fodder.

we might more competent and less corrupt politicians.

we might have better social services

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i went into two Dublin pubs yesterday in RIRA territory. i wanted to watch the all ireland and the barman was not aware that it was on. four screens in the pub and all of them tuned into liverpool and manchester but if you mentioned joining the UK to those people they would bait you.

Well if they prefer watching one sport over another then they must want to rejoin the UK. It's the only logical conclusion like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Get screwed by Irish politicians or get screwed by British politicians?

Cake Death or Death?

I could provide plenty of valid reasons but atm i am busy, the building is closing and I am too damn tired to do so. I might do it later on in the week when I have the energy for it.

That's convenient.

In two threads you weren't able to provide any valid reasons for reunification.

I won't hold my breath.

1. Why would they want the Republic of Ireland plus our large debt. They don't even want Northern Ireland and its high cost to the British exchequer.

2. No matter who is in charge in the Republic, we need to reduce our public expenditure. If we can do this, it means public servants out on strike for a few years and reducing the public services available.

3. A british polictician would not achieve this faster than our own politicians in fact there would be far greater resistance to a British politician.

So it is a definite NO from me. It would not make any financial or political sense.

My hypothetical question to the OP....

If it made financial sense for the UK to submit to being part of a joint Republic, would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

if we rejoined the UK we could send all the scumbags to the army who would send them overseas as cannon fodder.

Given the British Army is all-professional (no conscription), how would this work exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I'd only join if we can get rid of our greedy, leeching, parasitic government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

hmmm wrote: »
    We should never have left the UK. Being part of a much larger union gave us the opportunity to be part of a truly great country.

Yes, which is why you should give up this Little England idea of yours over there and bow to your German and French overlords who control the European Union, the only world power in Europe. Your Empire is finished, despite the carping posts of a few neanderthals on Boards.ie who want to resurrect that jingoistic pipedream of what Fratton Fred likes to call the "British Isles".

Long live the EU, the protector of Irish freedom from a return to British imperialist subjugation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Since when did Dublin have an IRA territory, and since when have people been surprised that Dubliners like soccer?

the liverpool v man utd match was over before the All-Ireland final started....... are you telling us lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

NEIN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

OU812 wrote: »
    Hell yeah. We've demonstrated our politicians are self serving & untrustworthy.....

You've never met the Tory Party then?

They're sort of like Fianna Fail, just ridiculously posh and privileged and obsessed with what class you're from.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Given the British Army is all-professional (no conscription), how would this work exactly?

offer them free dutch gold and nike trainers.

Since when did Dublin have an IRA territory, and since when have people been surprised that Dubliners like soccer?

It's right next to the Triad zone

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

ronan001 wrote: »
    the liverpool v man utd match was over before the All-Ireland final started....... are you telling us lies?
    It was on while the Dublin minors was on :pac:

ronan001 wrote: »

true, but they informed me another one would be starting at 4. salt de earth Dublin types more interested in English soccer rather than an Irish game played only a few miles away.

• Advertisement

Which pub was this?

ehmjay wrote: »
    It was on while the Dublin minors was on :pac:

The final that the minors won :D:D:D:D:D

since the gardai let them take over areas for funerals, fire their guns in the air and the authorities do nothing about it.

Which pub was this?

Anthony Stokes pub...... the irony :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Cool. So as the poll stands, 5/8 of people are in the "800 years brigade".
    I'm genuinely surprised. I thought the poll would be more like 90/10 to the tiochaigh ar la types.
    Hmmm....I see what's going on here......

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Hmmm....I see what's going on here......

oh i get it.... haulagebasher secretly loves the Republic and shows it by slaggin it off!!! Its your typical teenage crush right here on boards.ie.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sure you'd hate it. Far too diverse for you altogether - Ye'd be put in a home for the bewildered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Bunch of turn coats.

That sums up the yes voters .

Might?

I would've expected a lot more confidence out of a reunification advocate.

Then again, the OP didn't dare steer away from conjecture or hypotheticals, lest reality hits him smack in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

OP, the question you posed for the poll is being unfair

it suggests that those voting no are automatially rabble rousing Provos

why not edit the 'YES' to ..

Yes. I'll take the job and join the UK, tug me forelock, bow down and take lizzie's shilling.

Typical of a lot in this country that think to show ANY hint of Nationalism or pride in the country automatically equates to being a brit-hating IRA supporter/sympathiser.

Edit the poll to either a plain YES - NO & if people want to comment let them do so in the thread, or edit the yes option to be as unfair as the no option.

wprathead wrote: »
    Get screwed by Irish politicians or get screwed by British politicians?

Cake Death or Death?

ahh death please...oh no I mean cake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement